OrbitHangar has 2 stuck add-ons

Keatah

Reaction score
OrbitHangar has 2 stuck add-ons..

15/11/21 [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6671"]Rosetta - Comet 67/P...[/ame]
14/11/21 [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6745"]Interstellar System[/ame]

Been at the top of the list for months!

Nicholander

Reaction score
I know why, some glitch when uploading them caused OrbitHangar to think that they were uploaded on 14th/15th November, 2021.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know why, some glitch when uploading them caused OrbitHangar to think that they were uploaded on 14th/15th November, 2021.

I would guess it's the other way around: an uploader typing the date in another format than dd/mm/yy (like yy/mm/dd), or simply a typo (or deliberately writing a wrong date), but Orbithangar does not check if the date is set in the future, and accepts any upload date.

In my opinion, the whole option of setting a custom upload date is pointless, and should instead be set to the actual date of the upload to Orbithangar's server.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I would guess it's the other way around: an uploader typing the date in another format than dd/mm/yy (like yy/mm/dd), or simply a typo (or deliberately writing a wrong date), but Orbithangar does not check if the date is set in the future, and accepts any upload date.

In my opinion, the whole option of setting a custom upload date is pointless, and should instead be set to the actual date of the upload to Orbithangar's server.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue here. There are reasons I haven't patched it yet, but I'm not ready to make a full-scale announcement on what they are. For now, I'll adjust the date on the "stuck" ones so they clear off the top ten lists.

MikeB

Reaction score
Has any thought been given to adopting the international standard (ISO 8601) for dates in Orbiter, Orbiter Forum, Orbit Hangar, and OrbiterWiki? The date format is
YYYY-MM-DD. It is explained at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

I've pushed its use at work (in the US) as part of filenames on documents that go through frequent revision. Even though it is "obviously" the most rational choice, there is usually a lot of resistance. But given the international distribution of orbinauts, it might be a useful standard to avoid confusion.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I have amended the dates of the two stuck addons to more sane values.

As far as ISO dates go, I generally use them for anything backend in current projects, while I let user-preference formatting controls re-adjust the format to suit whoever's requesting the date. Internally it should always be ISO.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Thank you, Xyon. That has been annoying since last November.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Highly relevant xkcd:
iso_8601.png

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Xyon, for fixing the issue.

Personally, I do write dates like 2007.08.31
Makes it feel like a stardate without having to look up the MJD (which is more like a stardate)

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Highly relevant xkcd:
iso_8601.png

Excellent point. Future revisions of OHM will incorporate the "drawn on the side of an unhappy feline" date rendering method. The format is whatever you can catch before the enraged animal strikes.