Problem OrbiterSound 4 Custom base sounds doesn't work at Brighton Beach

Parnikkapore

Reaction score
Hey DanSteph,
Custom base sounds doesn't seem to work with Brighton Beach. Can you help investigate? Is this due to the "Silence of Space"?

Filename: Moon_Brighton Beach_12000_255_40.
Clues: It works at Olympus base when I changed the file name.
:hailprobe:

Parnikkapore

Reaction score
It's Orbiter 2016. But, as I said above, I renamed the file and it works perfectly at Olympus base. The problem is specific to Brighton. That's why I conclude the "Silence of Space" could be the culprit. (The checkbox doesn't solve the problem!)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Reaction score
IIRC base sounds are linked to atmospheric pressure. So for the Moon, no pressure = no sound. There is a "No birds in space" note somewhere in the OrbiterSound docs.

Parnikkapore

Reaction score
That's exactly what my conclusion is. I posted this on Dan's forum and hopefully can confirm if this is intentional or unexpected :cheers:

Face

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's exactly what my conclusion is. I posted this on Dan's forum and hopefully can confirm if this is intentional or unexpected :cheers:
It could be a bug, because it looks like the custom base sounds should work without the "birds in space" restriction: emphasis mine
NO BIRDS IN SPACE !!!
-------------------------
Wind sound plays until the edge of atmosphere is reached, so adding birds
or other lower altitude sound would be very unrealistic. Take a look at
"ground base" sound for low altitude ambiance sound.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Reaction score
It could be a bug, because it looks like the custom base sounds should work without the "birds in space" restriction: emphasis mine
I think it's intentional. From OrbiterSound 4.0 - FAQ

(Mars specific example)
Sound intensity vary as the square root of pressure, so you have sound on Mars but it is very tiny; you should put the volume almost at max to hear it. This is more realistic.