Problem Orbiter2016, Win10, IMFD odd CTD problem

bcbarnes

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with IMFD in orbiter2016 so I decided to do a clean install, and then install only IMFD. The problem persists, and goes like this:

I run the orbiter launchpad, everything is good. I load and run any scenario, typically the deltaglider at KSC. I set one of the MFDs to IMFD. I then save the scenario and exit completely out of orbiter.

Then, I relaunch orbiter, and load the scenario from above. Everything is fine. I exit the scenario, and then relaunch the same scenario again, and it starts to load, and then just crashes to the desktop. Always the same pattern: Load scenario first time and all is OK. Attempt to load it a second time (without exiting orbiter) and it CTDs. The orbiter launchpad just shuts down as if nothing was wrong.

I have attached the orbiter log (not much help) and the information from EventViewer when the crash happens. I've researched the MSVCR90 dll mentioned in the eventviewer log and tried several fixes without success. Also, this happens with IMFD57, IMFD55, and IMFD53.

Any clues anyone might have would be appreciated.

Attachments

• EventViewer.txt
    625 bytes · Views: 1
  • Orbiter.log
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Marijn

Reaction score
Inspect the scenario files before and after saving. Maybe some value is saved which causes the problem. Not sure what you would do about that if that's the case.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Attempt to load it a second time (without exiting orbiter) and it CTDs. The orbiter launchpad just shuts down as if nothing was wrong.

If you use deallocate memory as shutdown option, this could be some memory problem in the addon. Unfortunately, the speed of the terminate-and-respawn option and its consequential use in debugging scenarios often hides such problems.
If you already use the terminate-and-respawn method, and the problem still occurs, I also think that it is some persistent state (e.g. inside scenario file or MFD-mode specific config files) that causes the shutdown.

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't think it is in the scenario, because after a crash, I restart orbiter and load the same scenario and it works once, but will again fail on a second attempt.

I am currently using the terminate/respawn option and that works well but feels like a "band-aid" on what might be a more serious problem (as this is obviously not a common issue with folks).

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Marijn

Reaction score
I have Terminate Orbiter process selected in the Shutdown options. Also check the font smoothing options and try a different setting.

My Orbiter fails to launch properly 1 out of 10 times. Then I have to terminate the process using the taskbar.

bcbarnes

Reaction score
Just tested against Orbiter beta 180904 and I see the same problem. None of the font smoothing options made any difference.