- Feb 13, 2008
- Reaction score
As partially announced the other week, over the past few months I have been working on a new MMU framework to replace uMMU, so that you can finally let your poor crew members leave their vessels and stretch their legs in Orbiter 2016 :lol: While I can't give a solid release date at this momenet in time the current goal for an initial beta release is mid / late March.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KS3-33H88o"]oMMU : pre-pre-pre-alpha #1 - surface movement - YouTube[/ame]
Planned features for the first release:
- (DONE) Ingress / Egress from vessels, in space or on a planet's surface.
- (DONE) Crew transfer - Egress from one vessel and ingresss at an other, preserving all the details of that crewmember
- (DONE) EVA in space
- (DONE) Ship -> Ship crew transfers
- (DONE) Surface movement - MMUs will smoothly walk across terrain - including slopes!
- Simple C++ API to allow vessel authors to implement oMMU functionality in their vessels.
- (DONE) (Practically¹) Unlimited Crew - Need your vessel to have one crew member, fourty or four-thousand? Barring any technical issues oMMU will let you.
- (DONE) (Practically) Unlimited airlocks - Define as many airlocks as your vessel needs to function and manage them all through the API
- Customizable MMU Meshes
- Everything else...
A copy of the current API can be seen here oMMU API, in addition to this a sample vessel implementing oMMU functionality will be provided to show a reference implementation.
Oh, and apologies for the less than creative name², I'm a software engineer not a marketer :lol:
¹ The theoretical maximum is little over 5.3 million, however more realistically the limit is proably closer to 2 million
² Other names considered include: "...And Manned Maneuvering Units for All", "Almost Universal Manned Maneuvering Units For Orbiter Simulator 2016" (Or AUMMUFOS2016 for short) and "WooMMU"