Software Orbiter in a VM

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck running Orbiter in a VM session?

Specifically, I'm trying to run it in a VMware session on my work laptop.

Either the planet/ship textures look nice and the stars turn into huge square grey blocks, or the stars look nice and no textures show up at all (transparent planet, invisible ship).

Not a really huge issue, but was just wondering if anyone else had tried it, and what kind of success they had.

... I know it's most likely not supported in any form or fashion ... but my main home pc died a flaming horrible death, and all I'm left with is my work laptop ... Running VMware I can stay VPN'd in on the main OS, while I can visit Orbiter Forum on the VM.

Attachments

• Direct3D-TL-HAL.JPG
    Direct3D-TL-HAL.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
VMWare is an emulation layer so you'll hit all sorts of bottlenecks and other issues.

You should have no issues running orbiter on your work laptop but being an IT person I'd have advise you that you should speak to your IT department about it. ;)

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
I am an IT person myself ... I figured I'd hit issues running in a VM ... but, I was wanting to keep everything non-work related segregated to it's own little sandboxed world if possible.

Just easier to keep track of things that way, and there are no questions popping up about what is running when the monitoring software kicks in and scans the 'work' desktop ... and, VMWare is authorized for use since I have to vpn into at least two different networks.

Ah, well ... was just wondering if anyone else had even tried, and was curious as to their results.

It's not a crisis ... it just puts the pressure on to put more money in the 'pc rebuild' mason jar. :p

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Why not run orbiter from a USB stick?