Orbiter and EEE

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just wondering if I am the first to run Orbiter on an Asus EEE. I recently bought one of these amazing little things to replace my inherited antique laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook of indeterminate vintage). Found that it runs Orbiter faultlessly and with a respectable framerate. So, my addiction is complete - I can orbit when away from home!

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes!! I was considering buyn gone, and a big factor was if Orbiter would run on it or not. Anyone have a Dell mini and tried Orbiter in it?

djidji

Reaction score
weird I 'm changing laptop and I was gonna start a thread about those netbook vs orbiter butafter a couple reviews i opted for a bigger 15'' . anyone orbiting on an acer aspire?

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Asus EEE? *pfft*

Buy Alienware next time. :p

Nah, congrats! The only problem that you'll have with it is increased cravings, as your body will build up an even higher reliance on Orbiter due to your increased usage, seeing as from now on you'll be orbiting while traversing to and from work/school. :lol:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Finally got my eee pc. One of the first things i did was to test Orbiter on it. It works at a framerate of 20-30fps mostly, but I have a problem: sometimes the atmosphere is not rendered and the sky looks black...

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a library thing. Search the forum as I think there is a solution.

My EEE came with Linux so I wiped it and installed XP Pro myself. This could account for the difference - I have never had black sky syndrome on mine.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Sorry, but I consider installing windows on my EEE 901 to be an act of cruel and unusual punishment. :cheers:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Orbiter runs fine on EEE 901 for me, only a bit slow and loading takes forever. No black sky problem encountered.

Sorry, but I consider installing windows on my EEE 901 to be an act of cruel and unusual punishment. :cheers:
Considering the castrated kind of linux that came with it, XP was a better choice. Well, and i also preferred to have a mobile windows development platform.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Orbiter runs fine on EEE 901 for me, only a bit slow and loading takes forever. No black sky problem encountered.

Considering the castrated kind of linux that came with it, XP was a better choice. Well, and i also preferred to have a mobile windows development platform.

Debian lenny (minimalistic server-like install with awesome DM), on the other hand, works perfectly.

Ae7flux

Ghost of Utopia Planitia
Donator
Reaction score

Madriva on an 8Gb flash card works fine for me and this is with all the trimmings and on a 701 to boot. The EEE is much more capable than some people credit.

Like Jarvitä I'm not about to inflict Windows on my EEE but I must admit the ability to run Orbiter on the go is the one thing that has tempted me.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you search the EEE forum you will see reference to a program called NLite. This allows you to create a custom XP install CD by stripping out all of the unnecessary bloatage. It is possible to create a very lean install, but you need a legit XP install disc to start with of course.

SolarTrash

Reaction score
I just loaded orbiter on my EEE 701 last night. It runs pretty well with video set to "Always Enumerate Devices", "640x480" resolution, and "Disable Vertical Sync." It is getting about 30-35 frames per second. If I hook up my external keypad and joystick, I can orbit from just about anywhere.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
On the topic of Asus laptops, I was wondering if I was the first to run Orbiter on the new Asus G51. It runs BEAUTIFULLY. I get 60 fps in the VC of the DG-XR1 while docked to another DG-XR1 looking down to Seth Eden's level 10 Earth textures 1.000M below. I also get 60 fps reentring in the VC of the XR2 Ravenstar with computerex's orbreentry installed and running. I get 40 FPS in the same situation in the back of the cabin of the Ravenstar. The GeForce GTX 260M in this laptop is truly amazing!! :cheers:

Denis10k

Reaction score
I got me a 1000HA yesterday. One of the first progamms i installed was Orbiter . Runs smooth on 1024x600 exept for the black sky problem (link to fix is broken , will try later) and some high detailed Addons . No i can fly around in orbiter while im in school , wohoo :)

Sry for bad english , im from germany.

Denis10k

Reaction score
Yes , it was a old link to m6 (oops , im blind :p ) Now the Sky is blue. Thank you !!!