Problem Orbiter 2016 linux XR2 display problem

Derek Trotter

Reaction score
I have Orbiter 2016 installed on my computer running Ubuntu 18 and wine 3.0. Several months ago I had Orbiter installed and running, but a hard drive failure took care of that. Now I've reinstalled Orbiter 2016 and the XR2 Ravenstar addon that I had before. This time I ran into a problem i dealt with over a year ago. I have the 2D panel showing, but the bits where you can have different data showing (map, orbit, etc) are blank. Wine is configured to emulate windows 7. I had this problem once before, but I forgot what i did to fix it. I have a screenshot here:

http://ladmo.asuscomm.com/images/orbiter.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer

turtle91

Reaction score
I have the same with some MFD's. (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Wine 3.2)
In my case, this happens with all 2D scaled-down MFD's, as long as anti-aliasing is enabled (D3D9 client...video-tab).
I also got degraded performance when using the XR-default-cockpit-view (regardless of MFD-refresh-rate)
So my workaround: Not using AA and using glass-cockpit whenever possible to keep my FPS high enough.

Derek Trotter

Reaction score
How to disable anit aliasing

I have the same with some MFD's. (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Wine 3.2)
In my case, this happens with all 2D scaled-down MFD's, as long as anti-aliasing is enabled (D3D9 client...video-tab).
I also got degraded performance when using the XR-default-cockpit-view (regardless of MFD-refresh-rate)
So my workaround: Not using AA and using glass-cockpit whenever possible to keep my FPS high enough.

Is there some way to disable anti aliasing in orbiter?

spacecadet

Reaction score
Solution

I've solved this in Ubuntu 18.04 and here is how I did it. In Orbiter Launchpad select the "Extra" tab. Expand the "Instruments and panels" section of the tree. Double-click "MFD parameter configuration."

My settings are:
Enforce pow2 MFD display texture sizes: = No
Switch to hires texture at MFD = 256
MFD texture size: virtual cockpits = 512x512

These settings causes the MFDs to display correctly in the XR2 2D panel. I've changed the screen sizes a few times and the MFDs continue to display correctly. I haven't tested these settings with other vessels.

I hope this helps others!

[edit] I should clarify that I'm running stock Orbiter 2016 without a graphical client (i.e. I'm not running D3D9).

Last edited:

turtle91

Reaction score
>Is there some way to disable anti aliasing in orbiter?
Yes...check the Video-Tab

I found only one solution to use AA and scaled-down MFD's (i.e. XR-vessel-cockpit), after endless testing:

Wine version 2.22-staging + "CSMT" should be enabled in WINE-Registry to avoid texture-loading issues (i.e. part of KSC appears in the sky when flying to the moon..)
CSMT takes care about the draw-order, to avoid such issues (with a performance cost of course).

I tested plenty of WINE 3.x releases, and all of them are causing issues with scaled down MFD's, esp BASESYNC or AEROBRAKE-MFD. The MFDs keep blank (just black) the the FPS goes down from 50 to 5....No issues in glass-cockpit...