Orbiter 2010 couple of questions

Michkov

Reaction score
Firstoff thanks for the new Orbiter version I had my fun discovering new stuff in it right now:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. The thing I like to know rigth now is where to get the ng version clients and how to get them working.
Also what stuff I can transfer from my old O06 (solf.cfg,plantes moons, I found the addon thread already.)
And finally could someone please post a screenshot how the Florida looks like from 10k. Mine looks blurry like the old one.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry about the link. I haven't used or followed that project, so I had no idea that was obsolete.

OGLA should be up-to-date (Tuesday Edition-bis) though.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
You wanted pictures of Florida from 10k altitude, so here they are:
{colsp=4}
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge.​

{colsp=2}
Column 1​
|{colsp=2}
Column 2​
DAY​
|
NIGHT​
|
DAY​
|
NIGHT​
| | | | | | | | |

-----------------------
Been searching for a while for the DX7 SDK with no luck. Know a place where I can download it from?
I do not understand anything to the d3d7 client ( for the moment ) but i'm downloading the dx7 sdk actually from there:

http://www.filefront.com/14294415/dx7adxf.exe/

( yes, the link on sourceforge is obsolete actually ).
Why do you need DX7 SDK? Do you want to compile D3D7Client from sources?

There are already precompiled binaries for it at SourceForge project page that Izack posted, and DX7 SDK isn't needed to use them. Here is the link to downloads.

You simply copy the graphics client module to Orbiter preserving directory structure, and then run Orbiter_ng.exe, and activate the D3D7Client module (like other modules, e.g. transx or some add-on MFD) on Modules tab. After you activate a graphics client module, the Video tab will appear, and you can change graphics options there.

The D3D7Client has the same options on the Video tab as the Orbiter.exe.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
orb,

I've read the sourceforge's page very quickly in the intention to take time, a little later, to understand how that client work.

I had an idea that there exist précompilations after reading messages in the past of persons that installed the d3d7, but after a research on the forum I found nothing.

Therefore, in a relative ignorance, while awaiting to know more, and in the measure or the dx7adxf.exe seems to be be a rare object, I made the first move, for the case or it would become unavailable someday, and finally necessary.

But finally, you give me the good links, which will serve me, and I thank you for that.

My device to create luminous landscapes at night on which I did not stop progressing seems to not work with OGLA, for the moment (but with orbiter standard 2010, yes). I would want to see how it works with the d3d7.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why do you need DX7 SDK? Do you want to compile D3D7Client from sources?

There are already precompiled binaries for it at SourceForge project page that Izack posted, and DX7 SDK isn't needed to use them. Here is the link to downloads.

You simply copy the graphics client module to Orbiter preserving directory structure, and then run Orbiter_ng.exe, and activate the D3D7Client module (like other modules, e.g. transx or some add-on MFD) on Modules tab. After you activate a graphics client module, the Video tab will appear, and you can change graphics options there.

The D3D7Client has the same options on the Video tab as the Orbiter.exe.

Sorry, missed the link to the precompiled binaries. Thought I needed to compile them myself.

Thanks!
n122vu

**EDIT** Looks like the module is already included in the Orbiter2010 package. When I unzipped it to a fresh install it asked to overwrite and file size and timestamp were identical.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
**EDIT** Looks like the module is already included in the Orbiter2010 package. When I unzipped it to a fresh install it asked to overwrite and file size and timestamp were identical.
There are a couple files which are duplicates, but not everything is included with the base package.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Sorry for jacking the thread, but what is the difference between the DX7 client and the orbiter 2010 default graphics client?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sorry for jacking the thread, but what is the difference between the DX7 client and the orbiter 2010 default graphics client?
D3D7Client is more like graphics client demonstrator for non-graphics Orbiter server. It can be used for testing bugs of Orbiter, when you run Orbiter_ng, or it may be used instead of Orbiter.exe with embedded graphics, when you have some problems with it.

Note, that not all graphics features of default Orbiter are implemented in non-graphics Orbiter, for neither graphics client. For example, animated base elements, like solarplants and trains are non-fully supported yet. If you use Orbiter_ng, solar plants won't be rendered, and trains will be static.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Note, that not all graphics features of default Orbiter are implemented in non-graphics Orbiter, for neither graphics client. For example, animated base elements, like solarplants and trains are non-fully supported yet. If you use Orbiter_ng, solar plants won't be rendered, and trains will be static.
Hmmm, does this explain why the trains at Habana are all over the place, instead of actually on the tracks?

Problem still happens even using orbiter.exe

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, does this explain why the trains at Habana are all over the place, instead of actually on the tracks?

Problem still happens even using orbiter.exe
I don't seem to understand. Trains work fine for me at Habana. They are on their tracks, and are moving on them when using Orbiter.exe.

Do you mean that ends of their tracks are floating over the ground? - This is normal, since tracks are straight and Earth isn't flat. Trains, light beacon arrays, and runway lights aren't still mapped to sphere. This hasn't changed since Orbiter 2006.

Michkov

Reaction score
OK I downloaded the d3d client and OGL screwed up OGL as soon as I touched the config lol. Using the D3D right now which is fine till I can work me in the OGL.

About theL14 graphics my Florida looks like this, though I dl the first texture pack below the base installation over at the orbiter site, dropped everything into the main Orbiter directory with kept directories.
I guess I have to dl the other zips below the first pack too, right?

Attachments

• mk379.jpg
    mk379.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 40

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
About theL14 graphics my Florida looks like this, though I dl the first texture pack below the base installation over at the orbiter site, dropped everything into the main Orbiter directory with kept directories.
I guess I have to dl the other zips below the first pack too, right?
Did you download and install textures from "Earth091124_11_14.zip" file, for example from that page (Earth L11 L14.zip)?

If you have them installed properly (you should have at least "Earth_tile.bin", 430 MB "Earth_tile.tex", and 288 MB "Earth_tile_lmask.tex" in Textures2 folder), check that "Max. resolution level (1-14)" at "Visual effects" tab of Orbiter Launchpad is set to 14.

If that doesn't help, then maybe you replaced your Earth.cfg with older version, since you asked about transferring configuration files from Orbiter 2006, and Earth.cfg had in old configuration "MaxPatchResolution = 10" instead of "MaxPatchResolution = 14", that is required for using level 14 textures.

So, answering your question about what can be transfered from Orbiter 2006, I say, many things, but not simply by replacing the existing configuration files, but rather by patching them with only needed modifications from the old files. And most of the new files are improved, or use new features, while comparing to Orbiter 2006, so you better don't replace them by old versions.