Humor Orbital Recipes

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Courtesy of TSPenguin and me: After exchanging recipe ideas in the IRC, I wanted to let you know of some ideas of mine and maybe someone else would like to share their receipes too :)!

Today: Chinese Noodles fried with Turkey Meat

1.) Put Chinese Noodles into boiling water for 15 minutes, let them become soft and unfurl them with two forks.

2.) Put Canned Turkey Meat with the jelly sticking to it in a pan and let it fry a few minutes.

Canned Turkey:
imag0014va.jpg

3.) Add some sesame oil and soy sauce to the pan.

4.) Drain the water from the noodles and add to the pan for about two minutes.

5.) Add a dressing of soy sauce, sesame oil and some bouillon powder.

Result:
imag0014u.jpg

多吃点! Duōchīdiǎn! :)

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Canned turkey? I never saw anything like that in swiss stores (left alone bosnian, were it's still affordable to buy your meat fresh).

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Are these just regular recipes or are you looking for a theme? Because I have college student, hairy man and fancy shmancy recipes.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, that looks nasty.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
When I first saw this I thought "Oh cool - food to prepare while orbiting!". So that is what I shall do, because my XR2 comes with a kitchen. :)

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
I'd eat it. But as a college student that is not much, I'll eat anything that isn't moving. Could be done with Ramen and spam.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
@Arrowstar: Acknowledged, thus a new photo :)!

@Eagle: I would say regular/college ones, basically simple stuff which does not cost much ;)!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I first saw this I thought "Oh cool - food to prepare while orbiting!". So that is what I shall do, because my XR2 comes with a kitchen.

Yep, that's right people. That big beige module that takes up a whole slot in the XR2 payload bay contains the kitchen, and perhaps a bit more importantly, the toilet...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In order to make good Chinese orbiting food, you have to throw it up in the air and intercept it with a missile to finish it.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If it tastes scud you're on to a winner...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I would say regular/college ones, basically simple stuff which does not cost much ;)!
Two slices of bread, slice of tasty cheese (or some other favourite - I like vintage style), slice of ham, squirt of tomato sauce and...the secret ingredient...a shake of Italian herb mix*. Whack it in a sandwich press (or jaffle maker, or what ever you call it in your part of the world) and cook till golden brown. For those students who don't have a sandwich press (are there any? :p) it can also be cooked successfully in a frypan or under a grill.

* I love herb/spice mixes of all varieties. Quick and easy way to jazz up just about any meal :thumbup:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
..then you put everything in a grinder until it's liquid. Afterwards, fill it in a plastic bag and "eat" it with a straw. That's "proper" stereotypical space meal for astronauts... ;)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
* I love herb/spice mixes of all varieties. Quick and easy way to jazz up just about any meal :thumbup:

For anything that can take liquid spices (including your recipe) I can highly recommend Maggi Wuerze!

308px-Maggiwürze-neu.jpg

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
For anything that can take liquid spices (including your recipe) I can highly recommend Maggi Wuerze!
I can't say I've seen it here (or an English equivalent). From what Google can tell me about the ingredients it is chock full of MSG and salt - no wonder it makes your food taste so good!

Here's another quick and easy favourite (I often have these ingredients lying around as left overs from other meals):

Tomato and avocado salsa
--------------------------
Main ingredients:
1 avocada, 1 cm cubed
1 tomato, 1 cm diced (or a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved)
1/2 cucumber, 1 cm cubed

Dressing:
Dollop of sweet chilli sauce
Splash of white wine vinegar (you can use other acidic alternatives: balsamic or red wine vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, etc)
Drizzle of olive oil (vegetable oil works too)
Coriander (optional, your sweet chill sauce may already contain enough)

Put it in a bowl, toss, and eat :) Adjust dressing proportions to suit your taste, I normally go for about 1 tsp of each.

ikrase

Reaction score
To me it seems like meatloaf might be a good zero g food.

Deltafang

Terrestrial Planet Finder
Reaction score
I can't say I've seen it here (or an English equivalent). From what Google can tell me about the ingredients it is chock full of MSG and salt - no wonder it makes your food taste so good!

Yeah, that's pretty much the rule of food nowadays. If it tastes good, beware, it'll kill you in the long (or in some cases, short) term. If it tastes bad, well..... that's because its good for you!

As a college student, I just buy microwaveable food and rarely anything I can actually cook. Last week, my roommates and I had a cooking craze and I bought a whole carton of eggs and some raw chicken tenderloin. Ate it all by the end of the week. Needless to say, my cholesterol was approaching 250 at the end of that particular week. Likewise, this week had been all oatmeal, fruit, and honey nut cheerios.

Since the blood vessels in my face and my sinuses would most likely be filled to the brim, I doubt I'd be able to taste anything major in space. I hear astronauts enjoy generous helpings of spice in all their foods. I'm a pretty picky eater, so I'd be very disappointed about not being able to eat my favorite foods in orbit.

ikrase

Reaction score
You can get natural beef jerky. It's good, although still salty.

I wonder how one can process spirulina into something that someone would actually be willing to eat day after day.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
This is a pretty common college student recipe:
cheesy noodles(ramen or otherwise)+ tuna + peas. (subsitute tuna for kielbasa or hotdog)
(I don't eat ramen anymore and just buy dry noodles)

Recently I've just been experimenting with pan-frying everything. Making french fries, onion rings (onion dipped in a mix flour+egg+baking soda). I even made some turnip fries that are pretty good.

Other than that I just try to cook staples, eggs, chicken, burgers, potatoes, frozen vegetables. And most of these can be cooked in the microwave easily enough (less crispy though).

I made some cool rutabaga-apple casserole (I usually make it on the stove with a covered pot, but oven is better). Sliced Apples + diced rutabaga (it expands so cut small) + brown sugar + oatmeal. As a general rule, it should be mostly apples. Its a very nice desert to bring to potlucks.

My signature dish is of course chili.
1 lb dry black beans
0-1 lb other dry beans (red, kidney, pinto, whatever, just adds a bit more variety to the dish)
2 cans diced tomatoes with jalapeno
.5 lb raw hamburger (break into little pieces)(leave this out and its vegetarian chili)
1 diced onion
0-1 diced potato (potato doesn't really change the flavor, but adds a nice variety of texture)
Red Pepper (like what you put on pizza) to make it spicy
Rosemary and Thyme to make it savory
Black pepper to make it peppery
Throw it in a pot and let it simmer for 4 hours. You only need to stir once an hour(more is fine, less is OK). If you cook it slow, nothing should stick to the bottom of the pan.
I eat it hot with cheese to smooth out the flavor.

The chili should feed you for a week. Its a good thing to make on the weekend so you don't have to cook much during the week.

Last edited: