Orbit Hangar Mods new Layout

Which theme would you like to see as the site default?

• Light Version

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Dark Version

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I've been working for the past couple of days on a new layout for the Orbit Hangar Mods web site. I thought I'd share it with everyone here in hopes of getting some constructive criticism on what I have so far.

You can see what the new front page of the site will look like here:
(EDIT: There are now three different versions of the site available for preview. All themes will be available as an option in the final version of the site.)
(EDIT: All three site themes (dark, light, and grey) can be chosen by the "theme selector" located on the right-hand side of the page)

http://www.orbithangar.com/index2.php

Please note that all links redirect to the current version of the site and not all menu links go where they should (I'm adding a few new pages to the site that have not yet been created). The layout of the site that you see on that first page, however, will be what is used throughout the entirety of the site.

If you have any suggestions, please post a reply with your thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I just joined the forums here a few days ago. It has become increasingly apparent that the m6 forums aren't coming back online any time soon, so I came over here. Thanks for the comment.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks nice, text description for random addon is very good too. (Ok, may be header image is too shemtical but at least it's better than what was before. Besides I'm not expert on illustrating banners so can't offer replacement for it)

Could be nice to see "next 20 addons" link below newest addons. "Top25" near top 5 list could be nice too. Other than that no suggestions right now.

And big thanks for mantaining orbithangar!!! (And it is quite nightmare to imagine "orbithangar is permanently down" news)

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Ah yes, I did forget to drop the "Next 20 Add-ons" link at the bottom of the newest uploads section. Ah well, after all the trouble I went through getting this layout just right, I guess I couldn't really expect to be able to remember every detail.

I did forget to mention that the banner is purposefully 2001 themed for the moment. I do plan on replacing it with a collection of other add-ons (perhaps to be cycled out once a month or so) at a later time. I chose the 2001 era for the time being as my way of remembering Arthur C. Clarke as he passed away earlier this month.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I like the new layout. It feels more complete and accessible at the same time. I guess it's the intuitive layout (good theme by the way!) without having to be too sparse.

Nice work. It'll be nice to see the rest of the site transformed, too. Would it be possible to extend (when implemented) the next 20 addons to include an option for the next and so on?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think it is too black and gray. I would prefer some more coloration and a background color, which makes it easier to read the text. White on Black is extremely exhausting for the eyes.

Redburne

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I like the general layout, but I'm with Urwumpe, concerning the colors, especially the white on black in the middle (see attachment for a quick PS job with white background, black text, and lighter side bars - I find it much easier on the eyes). The obvious downside: it does not integrate as nicely with the banner. Personally, I wouldn't care, as banners tend to become a victim of my ad blocker, anyway ... :)

For improved usability, I'd like to see the search page (or at least the quick search field) integrated into the first page.
Searching OH is one of the functions I (and, I suspect, others, as well) most often use.

Thanks for your continuing effort of hosting Orbit Hangar! It is much appreciated! :cheers:

Attachments

• oh1.png
    oh1.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 23

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about making the design a bit more graphical and give the three main layout objects the appearance of spaceflight objects?

The menu to the left could be moved to the bottom and take the shape of MFD buttons or groups pushbuttons. The list of latest add-ons or the news could be turned into a checklist/print out and the screen shot with the random add-on into a CCTV display.

If you really want to get graphical, a flash animation of a spacecraft window could be put on the main screen.

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
As far as making the layout more "graphical", that's something that I'm really trying to avoid. I want my site to be as lightweight as possible, which means cutting down on extra graphics everywhere. I'm not really trying to design the site to look as good as it possibly can. I want to keep things more or less simple so as to increase the ease of finding what you want without being distracted by too many other things going on.

I have updated the site to include a little "Quick Search" form on the right side just above the Newest Uploads section.

For color schemes, whether you like black on white or white on black, I think I may implement a theme changing option on the site and have the default be black on white. I've actually always been more of a fan of having a simple white background with black text on it as that is what most people are accustomed to seeing. But I don't have a problem with white text on a black background either. So for those who would prefer to see the site with a black background in the main content section, that option will be available. Since I have not yet implemented the functionality to be able to change the theme of the site yet, you can view the two versions here:

Dark:
http://www.orbithangar.com/index2.php

Light:
http://www.orbithangar.com/index2.php?theme=light

P.S. Please note that I plan on re-doing some of the graphics on the light themed version of the site, so what you see now is not the finalized version.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I like it. Great job.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I like the light version Vash, great job! :cheers:

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Vash,

I'm leaning toward the dark version, myself. It looks crisp and easy to read on my screen.

Thanks for the great work-

MT

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm... Related sites does NOT include a link to Orbiter-Forum.com :dry: (Oops)

The layout is great. The "dark" theme has a sharper look, but the "light" theme is easier on the eyes. Sounds like we will have a choice, though, so that will take care of that. "Retro" is all the rage these days - how about black background and plain amber text :lol:

I appreciate your philosophy of keeping the graphics simple and direct with the emphasis on function rather than flash.

Well done!

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Nice new layout, Vash, thanks for still maintaining Orbit Hangar!

White on Black is extremely exhausting for the eyes.
but the "light" theme is easier on the eyes.
Well, I think that's all your personal opinion. I think light characters on a dark background is much easyer on the eye (for example like the turbo-pascal for dos colors). I also changed Wiki with Greasemonkey to black with light text like this: http://userstyles.org/styles/3246, it can prevent me headache...

But after all I'm not sure what I personally like more (from stylish point of view), a white background can look more clean for some reason.
But when I can ignore the 'stylish' part, for example in a more productive environment (like a code-editor in Delphi or Visual Studio where you need to look at for hours and hours), I definitely change choose for light text on dark background.

regards,
mcduck

Last edited:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Vash, thanks for creating orbithangar for us. :) I personally really like the light theme, looks all nice and clean. Perhaps you should start a poll?

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hmmm... Related sites does NOT include a link to Orbiter-Forum.com :dry: (Oops)

Oops indeed. I've been so busy working on this new layout lately that I hadn't even thought of that. I didn't really even know of this forum's existence until I re-visited the list of forums on the main orbiter web site a few days ago. This site has now been added to my list of related sites.

Computerex: I would like to start a poll in this thread in order to help me decide which theme I should make the site default. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to start one in here.

Thanks again for all of your replies. If anyone has any additional suggestions, just let me know!