OHM On Station Ops

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Author: adswnj

On Station Ops v0.1c **ALPHA RELEASE* **ADDED AUTOPILOTS**

(Update: added autopilots ... still buggy at high offset angles). 

This MFD is for manipulating modules for space station building. The concept is similar to RV Orientation, but with respect to a "Free Target" and a "Tethered Target". The free target is your usual target. The tethered target is either you, or a module or arm or component you are attached to. Type ? in the target selection box to see the richness of selections.

E.g. on an OFSS mission, try TT of URMS:A2 and FT of OFSS:2.

WARNING: It's alpha code, and unfinished (e.g. not debugged yet). But it's enough to have fun with - e.g. seeing the exact orientation and offset for the URMS, and doing precise module alignments for space station building

DOWNLOAD

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very early release to show folks what I have been working on. Enjoy!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I went overboard on the target selection :)

? for help.

T? to enumerate all targets, so you can select target by index instead of name (easier to select 1:1 than OFSS-Airdock-18-1:1 etc ...)

<target>:? to enumerate all ports, so you can see what is where (and in what direction).
<target>:A? To enumerate all attachment points, so you can find to hidden connections on targets.

So:

1 ... would target the center of target 1.
1:1 ... would target port 1 on target 1.
1:A1 ... would target attachment 1 on target 1.

Or by name - URMS:A2 (the grapple attachment of the URMS). It's cool to use the URMS console with TT of URMS:A2 and see exactly what the tip is doing in 6 degrees of freedom.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So like a docking MFD for modules on an RMS arm? That wouldve saved me quite a bit of time back when I built a station, instead of just using the camera and eyeballing it. Good idea :thumbup:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So like a docking MFD for modules on an RMS arm? That wouldve saved me quite a bit of time back when I built a station, instead of just using the camera and eyeballing it. Good idea :thumbup:

Yes, precisely. Arm to module, or module on an arm to dock to another module. When the AP's are done, you will be able to hold station either in rotation or translation, and use the arm, or hold the arm and use the ship RCS to nudge the modules together.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
* SPOILER ** SPOILER *

There will be some inter-module communication madness, once Andrew finishes his work :)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fixed - see v0.1b now in the hangar. (If you ever see a MSVC*D missing error, it's because the developer released it accidentally in debug mode rather than release!).

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
(If you ever see a MSVC*D missing error, it's because the developer released it accidentally in debug mode rather than release!).
:probe: Shame on you! May the Probe have mercy on your soul. :probe:

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
v0.1c released, now with initial autopilot implementations.

I haven't debugged it all yet, as they seem to work nicely in low offset orientations, but go crazy with large offsets (e.g. yaw 100 degrees). But get a module close to the end of a URMS, and nudge your ship around to see the effect of the hunting of the autopilot.

Back to RL again.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm having a problem getting this and RV Orientation both. When I try to activate from the Modules tab at the start screen I get a message saying Orbiter can't load it because ModuleMessaging.dll is missing. It's the first time I'd ever gotten this particular error.

Found it (at the Hangar of all places...)

But when I selected it I got immediate CTD.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do you have Module Messaging SDK installed (it's a mandatory pre-req)? It's on OrbitHangar, easy install. It's the new code that Enjoy wrote to allow messaging between LaunchMFD, BurnTimeCalc, RV orientation, etc. On Station Ops doesn't make use of it yet, but it will sooner or later (e.g. to interlock the autopilots between RVO and OSO).

I would personally love to have a bunch of Add on devs commit to a whole framework of interpassing of data between our various utilities, and into the vessels, etc. One for another thread though.

@Phantom - let me know if you need more detailed help. PM me and I'd be happy to walk you through the respective files, etc.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I installed ModuleMessaging, it'll let me start the sim, but when I select it as an MFD it immediately crashes.

A look at the orbiter log tell me I'm missing a mesh? That's what I don't get? I can run the sim all day (and have) but a CTD as soon as I click the mouse button for the MFD.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You never have to select Module Messaging ... it just sits dormant in the back. Have it enabled, but just run LaunchMFD, On Station Ops, etc.

Interesting though ... it shouldn't crash. Do you have the Orbiter.log handy? Enjo may need to take a look.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I didn't select module messaging, that's not what I meant.

I mean as soon as I select On Station Ops as an MFD I crash. I'm at work ATM, if I can manage to stay awake long enough once I get home I can maybe post the log, but all it says is that I'm missing a mesh. Which is what I understand the least...

I'll try with RV Orientation maybe and see what happens.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone else able to report success with this alpha code yet? Want to see if Phantom's report is a one-off.