OFSS III Project info and discussion.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Things with OFSS2 have been really slow, and throughout its life there has been several bugs with the scenarios (as I made most of the OFSS2 scenarios back in January, my station and scenario building skills have drastically increased because of OFSS2 + several other small what if projects)

So I'm thinking of releasing OFSS3 to replace OFSS2. OFSS3 would be drastically much more user friendly, and would include several more easy-to-use vehicles like the Delta Glider, XR Ravenstar, ect. OFSS3 would also use the URMS, not the Thorton ISS Arm for easier use. OFSS3 would also have little-to-no use of UCargoDeck with the exception of carrying payload. OFSS3 will also include easier to understand instructions and much less complicated missions (though rest assured EVA's are a must still!) I'll have a photo posted of my design for a completed OFSS3 - what it would look like.

For scenarios, I will be partnering with PhantonCruiser and halcyon for this, and we will distribute the scenarios between eachother to give to you, the pilots.

Please post your ideas and if you'd be interested in a OFSS3.

Thank you!

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
I'd be interested :hello:. Though, what will happen with OFSS2? Will the remaining scenarios be released, if OFSS3 goes up?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd be interested :hello:. Though, what will happen with OFSS2? Will the remaining scenarios be released, if OFSS3 goes up?

OFSS2 will probably be deleted, we'd just start from square one with OFSS3.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
And I just docked Dragon-14 a couple of minutes ago to OFSS II! :p I'll be ready for OFSS3 when we can sign up.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I just got to brainstorm up an idea for OFSS3.

I need an addon for a core-module that features CBMs, Solar panels and Attitude control.. or the US equal of Mir-core or Zvezda as I want the first expedition crew to get up there stat and can launch on the shuttle.

halcyon

Reaction score
I'd be more then happy to help out.
With OFSS2 I was having to wait until October, probably November before I could fly a mission again.

If you want to streamline and simplify things for OFSS3, then here are my recommendations:

1. Distribute missions to pilots equally. Pilots should get a fair shot at flying missions without having to wait 5+ months while other pilots get 2 or even 3 missions during that period.
The first come first serve basis for every mission type doesn't really work with a community like Orbiter as we're all here to share the experience with one another.
If we have 25 pilots on the roster, then all 25 should be scheduled consecutively. Backups remain, but equal mission coverage should be spread amongst us all.
Now if two pilots want to fly the same type of mission (a shuttle mission i.e.) then whoever asked first should be the one to fly it. The second pilot can choose to fly the next non-shuttle mission in line or they can wait for the next shuttle mission/dragon mission/etc.
But months and months is too NASA-like :D

2. Using modules like that ELC platform was a frame rate killer for me and a lot of other pilots, and I run an i7 quadcore with 8GB ram and a GTX 465 card!
Parts should be frame rate friendly and simple to use. Good move on ditching the old ISS RMS arm, that thing had controls that were so wonky it was a pain to use.

3. Even though the parts are lo res and simple compared to what is used on OFSS2, I think an addon package like Space Station Building Blocks could help cut down on FPS loss. I'm not saying the whole thing should be built out of that, but some parts could be used.
There's also an addon for the XR5 and XR2 that adapted the addon to be used in their cargo bays.
Also very easy to add them to Shuttle Fleet with the included attachment point editor.

Those main 3 points could help to organize things a bit.
Also, I had an idea that could help the newer Orbiter pilots who want to be included in this project but maybe feel too shy or not skilled enough to participate.

The idea is to create a "training center" for OFSS3 pilots that feel they need to brush up on procedures/specific spacecraft/orbital mechanics/etc. so they feel confident enough to fly a mission.
I'm not saying we turn OFSS3 into a training project, but having a couple people volunteer to help out when asked could produce some quality missions out of pilots that they can feel proud of.

Myself, and whoever else wishes to, would take requests for training in whatever specific area the pilot requests.
A simple appointment could be made for say an hour or two on a week night or a weekend afternoon.
Nothing more elaborate then that. Both pilots could use a voice program such as Ventrilo or Teamspeak to coordinate the training session.

I by no means claim myself to be some sort of expert. In fact, there's PLENTY about Orbiter I still have yet to learn and I expect even in 20 years I still won't understand half of what real astronauts do!
But, I can still offer what limited knowledge I have to help newer pilots accomplish tasks such as landing the space shuttle manually and how to deorbit safely, methods for docking with the station, etc.

I'm not sure if this forum supports a calendar for scheduling such training sessions, but if not I'm sure there are plenty of freeware online applications (such as some of the freebie stuff Google offers online).

I've even been kicking around the idea of making a training tutorial video on how to use GlideslopeMFD to manually land the Shuttle Fleet all the way from undocking from a station in orbit to flying the HAC turn to wheel stop.

Anyhoo...my ideas.
Oh and, I'll volunteer to be the first space shuttle pilot flying the first module up. :p

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Tex just sent me a proposal for OFSS3, using his Space Station as the new OFSS3. I loved the idea.

This is what OFSS3 will look like - posting this here so people can get ideas for patches, ect. This is from Tex on the Orbiter Screenshot Thread.
OFSS-Complete.jpg

Solar424

Reaction score
I'd like to be on the new OFSS3, but I have an idea. How about we de-orbit OFSS2, like Mir?

diogom

Reaction score
Tex just sent me a proposal for OFSS3, using his Space Station as the new OFSS3. I loved the idea.

This is what OFSS3 will look like - posting this here so people can get ideas for patches, ect. This is from Tex on the Orbiter Screenshot Thread.

Great idea! I volunteer for Soyuz and Progress flights :)

BTW, might I just suggest we add a couple of Pirs' on that Zvezda, just so the docking systems are a bit more "compatible"? :tiphat:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd like to be on the new OFSS3, but I have an idea. How about we de-orbit OFSS2, like Mir?

Wow, I didn't think about this! That's an excellent idea, I'll fly it myself as well right now. I'll record the re-entry as well.

The screenshot and video will be available as a blog and screenshot threads for both OFSS2 and when OFSS3 is opened up tonight.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I was already planning to release my space station scenarios on OHM, so I'm happy to offer it as a community project. I've been talking with Kyle and we're just trying to decide how many construction flights, crew flights, and supply flights you guys will want to schedule. The space station is already planned and 10 launch scenarios are ready to go, however we'll need to update a few things for OFSS3 depending on the number of pilots etc. We should probably move things along quickly to keep interest up. I've already got a huge head start on the scenarios, the config files are finished, and the flight manual PDF is 55% finished, so if pilots are available we can schedule at least one flight a week.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Cassiopee (http://www.orbiterfrancophone.com/index.php?disp=addons&id=55) as a core module, it has what you were asking for (solar panels, radiators, attitude thrusters). It has a 'built-in' PMA, but only a single CBM and it wont fit on the shuttle (nicely in an XR-5 though). The example shown looks like a Neesys for a core?

It's all good. Let me know how I can help :thumbup:

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
nvm the re-entry video :( or update. Youtube is being highly uncooperative.

Anyone want to do it for me? Just send a dragon to the current-stage OFSS2 and re-enter them.

Update - Thread renamed as an info thread.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
One thing I'll mention, and I've said this to other VSA style adventures, have a look at the previous version and work out why it failed/slowed down then look long and hard at the new setup and work out how to avoid those same mistakes.

Why did OFSS II fail? If I was someone who was participating in OFSS II why should I help out in OFSS III if the same thing could happen?

Good luck!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks for the tips Gary!

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Important notice - several documentations and configuration files have to be changed to reflect the name change from CSS to OFSS3, so the first flight date is not yet confirmed but should be soon.

Be sure to check out the crew assignment thread to request for missions.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
A suggestion - Some people would just wander in, see this as a great idea, and want to participate...
And don't know how.
A FAQ would be nice - do you record flights, pass around scenarios, fly live in OMP, etc? What addons are to be used and where to get them?
These kind of things.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
A suggestion - Some people would just wander in, see this as a great idea, and want to participate...
And don't know how.
A FAQ would be nice - do you record flights, pass around scenarios, fly live in OMP, etc? What addons are to be used and where to get them?
These kind of things.

I've already created documentation with all the required addons and info necessary for the flights etc. We'll release the package on OHM as soon as it's ready and each time someone completes their flight, we'll upload a new package for the next flight. The turn around time will be fast so we keep things moving. :thumbup:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
All OFSS III discussions moved to the new 'Orbiter Forum Space Station III' sub-forum.

While the OFSS II sub-forum is hidden from the home page now, you can still access it from the old URL or by visiting the OFSS II social group.

We're not going to use a social group for OFSS III. We're going to keep it simple in this forum, so anyone can post and participate without the need to join a social group. Packages will be uploaded to Orbithangar for each new flight. You can post your screen shots, post flight scenarios, and discussions in this OFSS III forum.