OFSS III - Missions problems and troubleshooting.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Please post your problems with your scenarios here.

djlodo

Reaction score
CTD Without any problems listet in Orbiter Log

After downloading and installing Mission Pack 3, when i start launch scenario 3, i got a ctd without any listed problems in Orbiter LOG.

Any other scanario working perfect (and I got a lot of them , as example, every sts flights, all fgu sojuz scenarios)

Are the compabiliti problem with older Orbiter versions (i^m not using 2010) but scenario 1 and 2 of OFSS III are working correctly

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Some of the addons in the required list are only compatible with Orbiter 2010-P1.

OFSS III is only being made available for Orbiter 2010-P1.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Flight #2 Step 8

Can anybody give me some advice how to get home! I've done the whole mission to this point (first time with the URMS, docking the Cupola and Dock1, hooking to core, hooking the XR5 by eye onto the Dock, etc.

I'm wondering whether I should be installing BaseSync, Aerobrake MFD, etc to get back to Wideawake, or if I am missing something because they are not on the installation manifest.

Newb admission here ... I have not landed back to Earth too many times, so giving me some advice on where to fire retros, anticipation, etc for XR5 would be appreciated.

The mission so far is awesome!

Last edited:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Can give some general pointers for re-entry.

Execute the deorbit burn opposite side of the planet than the target base is. (AerobrakeMFD helps but also Map MFD). Set PeA of 60k or lower. Level for surface and pitch your nose up to 40° (AoA).

Also where exactly do you have problems? There are quite a few videos out that demonstrate successful re-entries.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Blane - I'm in the OFSS III Mission 2, step 8, just ready to undock from our small space station (at this stage). I have none of the usual tools for re-entry (e.g. Aerobrake), so wanting to stay true to the mission set-up (rather than just add the other MFD's), I was wondering what the procedure should be for re-entry.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
If you set Map MFD on TRK (tracking mode), you are on opposite side when base icon (set as target) switches sides. I'm sure there are other methods but that's what I would use :)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A quick update on this. I've done quite a few reentries on the XR-5 now with BaseSync and Aerobrake MFD. With BaseSync at 0.4 degrees slope, 43 degrees anticipation and 80KM altitude, you get pretty close to Blane's advice of burning on the opposite side of the world. The BaseSync retro-burn drops the PeA to around 65km. Here's some speed/ALT/dist to go numbers from my last landing:

Speed Alt Dist
7567 100 6324
7572 90 5266
7523 80 3975
7218 70 2499
6518 60 1574
4953 50 862
2599 40 277
1182 30 111

This was using the XR-5 AoA autopilot varying between 35-42 degrees, and tracking on the Aerobrake MFD map display (trying to keep 1 or 2 squares of reserve energy right onto finals).

So you could definitely fly this without BaseSync and Aerobrake if you had a set of reference points like this, but is there a good reason why not to fly these missions with these two MFD's in the package?

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

My latest time-burner... mission, trying to dock that damn Soyuz. Let's just say I have profound respect for the real Cosmonauts that have to dock that ship. Things making it harder than docking a DG or an XR ... the pulse RCS and the fixed view. I've realized that being able to pan your view is really important to get a solid view of the docking corridor. Go too far away from the Zarya on the docking orientation, and you start to overtake it (you will be say 1-2km below its altitude). No Attitude MFD so you are manually having to neutralize the delta-V. Really tough trying to shoot the docking alignment from the external camera. And so on...

I'm on my 3rd or 4th attempt now (from a clean new scenario), trying to get the most perfect sync alignment, with the Pe's lined up trying to get as close to an identical orbit as possible. Then maybe I can catch a break and get it cleanly lined up for docking.

Do you guys feel there's value in me posting more like this into another thread? Kinda Go Play in Space for OFSS, for the rest of us wanting a bit more than the brief flight notes?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
(OFSS Mission 3 retry!)

Well - I made the Soyuz hard dock with Zarya. Man - that's by far the hardest thing I've ever had to dock. After practising on the Mir, I found that it was near impossible to keep the rotation nulled out enough to concentrate on the translation to the final docking. It was always drifting a tiny amount that demanded constant switching from rotation to translation.

Can anyone comment on the "you can use the (+) Normal auto-pilot to hold angular alignment" until just before docking. I tried this and it didn't help at all. In fact - the issue seemed to be that Zarya was very gently rotating. (I.e. post dock, zoom x100, you can see a drift).

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
(OFSS Mission 3 retry!)Can anyone comment on the "you can use the (+) Normal auto-pilot to hold angular alignment" until just before docking. I tried this and it didn't help at all. In fact - the issue seemed to be that Zarya was very gently rotating. (I.e. post dock, zoom x100, you can see a drift).

I only suggested using (+) autopilot to help you hold the correct angular alignment with the docking port (except for rotation) while you translate close to it. Just reduces your workload a little. Unfortunately, you must disable (+) and rotate slightly to reach perfect angular alignment, but one can do this at the last minute, just before hard dock.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The thing I forgot though was setting the autopilot on the target :). No wonder the + Normal autopilot was not holding station properly!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ah yes, that would make it very hard. :)

diogom

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Soyuz yet, so what is meant by "pulse RCS"?

Instead of a continous RCS firing as you hold the key, when you press a key, the RCS fires for a determined amount of time. In Thorton's, pulses of .05s, .25s and 1s I believe.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Has anyone else had a problem getting the new CTV flight to clear the fuel bug by pressing Ctrl+7 after jettison from Ariane5? It's been a long time since I've flown CTV and I recall the mention of this in the documentation, however I was not able to clear the bug with the latest OFSS flight. I wonder if this might have something to do with the fact that we have 2 CTV's in this scenario?

If you can't clear the fuel bug after you jettison CTV from Ariane5, quit the session, then add the following line shown in bold red text to your CTV-LEO6 ship entry in the scenario:

Code:
CTV-LEO6:CTV-LEO6
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 3447977.72 -4035845.26 4321307.63
  RVEL -5049.997 -5498.550 -1108.824
  AROT -119.47 51.12 -60.56
  VROT 0.00 0.08 -0.00
  AFCMODE 7
[B][COLOR="Red"]  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000[/COLOR][/B]
  IDS 0:241 100
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  XPDR 240
  UMMUCREW -C_Haignere-40-65-74
  UMMUCREW -JF_Clervoy-37-67-55
  UMMUCREW -T_Reiter-35-70-45
  UMMUCREW -C_Nicollier-35-70-45
  UMMUCREW -A_Kuipers-35-70-45
  UMMUCREW -R_Vittori-35-70-45
  BEACON 
  ANTENNA 1 1.0000
  PANEL 1 1.0000
  PROBE 1 1.0000
  ROT 1 1.0000
  MET 2696010.0
  STATION 0
  O2time 57623
  M2FUELFIXED 
END

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah Tex- confirmed fuel bug on the CTV on Flight 13. For some reason the CTRL+7 does not initialize the fuel. Thanks for the fix line, though I think it's too much fuel for the little CTV, because after a good amount of thrusting to do the docking, I was still left with 0.999153 !!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
You can always make it more challenging and jettison Ariane5 sooner! :)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm - yes. I could have deliberately burnt down to min fuel I guess. In fact, because the station orbit is elliptical, I could have spend a bunch more time to match my orbit perfectly before docking, to stop it drifting around on final approach!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
astrosammy said:
Everything done with some minor problems:

It looks like the module in the payload bay was rotated by 180°. The grappling point was facing the payload bay floor, I had to edit the scenario to attach it to the RMS.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention; an over sight on my part. I didn't actually test pulling it out of the shuttle with the shuttle RMS which can't grapple anywhere like URMS. I'll fix that in the next package.

astrosammy said:
The URMS seems to be unable to correctly grapple in the D3D9 client. Should be written into the manual for other D3D9 users.

Launch heading seems to be wrong, again this might be a D3D9 or Shuttle Fleet problem. I'll take a look at that.

OFSS-III is not tested or supported for the D3D9 client. The doc doesn't specifically state this, but I don't use D3D9 for OFSS flights myself, so it's clearly never been tested. The launch heading was set based on what the launch MFD said, so I'm not sure how else to figure that for D3D9. I'm able to get Rinc near 0 with that heading, however it does require some minor adjustments to the heading mid-way through the launch, which I've always had to do with any shuttle launch.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I tend to find that you cannot use Launch MFDs heading with Shuttle Fleet. You need to off set it to the north a bit. It is the roll to heads up that messes it all up. But I should add I too fly with D3D9, so that may have something to do with it. As for the modules, I haved used pretty much all of them on my own station, and they all seem to work well in D3D9.

Some little things may need to be accounted for when using D3D9, but on the whole, pretty much everything works with it.