Oculus Rift

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I did a search for Oculus Rift and was quite surprised that it did not come back with a single result. My nephew sent me a video today of a guy playing around with a game called Spacewalk while wearing one of these VR devices.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhkG_YsIGo#t=246s"]Cymatic Bruce Rift Requests Ep 11: Proton Pulse and Spacewalk - YouTube[/ame]

I can only guess at what the actual experience would look like. I envision full 3D total wrap-around immersion. I would love to play Orbiter like this. (Though it does raise some questions. If both eyes are covered, how would you use your keyboard for inputting targets and things like that?)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can only guess at what the actual experience would look like. I envision full 3D total wrap-around immersion. I would love to play Orbiter like this. (Though it does raise some questions. If both eyes are covered, how would you use your keyboard for inputting targets and things like that?)

Actually, its something I would like to make as a personal simpit someday. The user wears a helmet with a video display inside, and turns his/her head to rotate the UMmu. Then they walk on the treadmill to move forwards & backwards, probably great exercise in addition to great fun! :lol:

Unfortunately the biggest stumbling block would be figuring out how to create a display like that: not sure what sort of screen would work (and on what budget).

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I saw a decently neat video on it's use in TF2.
It can cause some nausea at first or with extended use, but, so does spaceflight I suppose. (More realism than you ever bargained for)

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
From the article: "Previous versions of the Rift induced excitement because of the newness of the experience—but that experience was still imperfect.

Early Rift prototypes suffered from poor screen resolution (your eyes are inches from the display) and motion blur. Further, whenever the user moved their head back and forth or side to side, the entire world was dragged along. Motion sickness was a real concern.

Now a few of those flaws have been corrected, and though no date has yet been set, the prospect of a consumer version potentially later this year seems more realistic."

I find the potential of this technology very exciting. Highly immersive space flight is very appealing! I hope some talented Orbiter developer picks up on this when the product is finally ready.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well that's a damn shame.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A sad day indeed, in my opinion.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A worse day for kickstarter and co in their credibility. The backers for the Oculus VR are not getting ANY share of the deal, like they would get as traditional investors. They are really just degraded to money sources.

And Notch, who was planning to develop a Minecraft version for Oculus, has already announced that he will stop the project, because "Facebook scares him".

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Gaming is only on of the new areas where the Oculus is a real revolution". We didn't need Facebook to know that, and even less needed any kind of help from them ...
Like Notch, I'm a little bit scared of what Facebook will do ...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by social experiences that connect people in magical, new ways," Iribe said. "It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience the impossible, and it's only just the beginning." - Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe

To me, that implies that Facebook is potentially going to become less of a social website, and more like Second Life, but in VR form.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Jnhnb2x.jpg

MattBaker

Reaction score
And Notch, who was planning to develop a Minecraft version for Oculus, has already announced that he will stop the project, because "Facebook scares him".

And he put some money into it, so I guess he feels kinda cheated. Oh well, they'll just port Minecraft on the next platform and he's already got the money back...:shifty:

But I don't get why this isn't clear to people backing a kickstarter: You have no say over the people who make the stuff you paid for. The only thing you have a guarantee of receiving are your perks.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
"Gaming is only on of the new areas where the Oculus is a real revolution".
I don't see any revolution. HMDs were already there long before Oculus VR was founded, only nobody really wanted to invest into making a VR gear for masses. :shrug:

Aion

Orbinut
Reaction score
I don't see any revolution. HMDs were already there long before Oculus VR was founded, only nobody really wanted to invest into making a VR gear for masses. :shrug:

HMDs are only part of VR though. Head tracking is just as important, and i believe the ability to process that with low enough latency to avoid the nausea inducing cognitive disconnect is what for the most part has taken this long.

I may be stating the obvious here, if so I apologize :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
John Carmack, the guy that created Doom and Quake, will soon be a Facebook Employee.

Now THAT is nausea-inducing.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
HMDs are only part of VR though. Head tracking is just as important
Well, I remember some popular science TV shows from the beginning of 90s telling that VR gloves and headgear would be in every home at the end of 90s, and then it somehow didn't happen (well, there was VFX1) and was forgotten, just to be back with the Oculus Rift craze lately. Maybe that's why I don't see anything revolutionary in it. :shrug:

EDIT: Just found that video. Oculus is mentioned at the end:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n5B3fl-bU"]Forte VFX1 Virtual Reality Headgear - Silicon Classics Ep.5 - YouTube[/ame]

Aion

Orbinut
Reaction score
Well, I remember some popular science TV shows from the beginning of 90s telling that VR gloves and headgear would be in every home at the end of 90s, and then it somehow didn't happen (well, there was VFX1) and was forgotten, just to be back with the Oculus Rift craze lately. Maybe that's why I don't see anything revolutionary in it. :shrug:

Yeah, I remember that too. I also remember this:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe that's why I don't see anything revolutionary in it.

There wasn't anything grounbreakingly revolutionary in it really, but the technology we have today might finally have made it work (funny thing: unless pixels per Inch don't get somewhat cheaper, it would have been two hells of expensive anyways).

Now that facebook bought it, I somehow doubt it'll ever get finished in any useful form.