OBSP - Progress report 1

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys!

It's been a while since our last update, so I'll bring you up to speed on what's been going on behind the scenes.

We resumed work on OBSP in the last few weeks because the exams ended and we have a few exciting features we're working on.

ETF learned how to hook functions so we can introduce new features to OBSP that Orbiter normally wouldn't let us create. With that, ETF is working on bringing a custom HUD into OBSP. That'll allow vessels to have an extra custom HUD, that displays vital information - like which weapon is selected, which target is currently on RADAR and so on.
ETF is also experimenting with bringing sound into OBSP, however, there are severe limitations due to the way OrbiterSound is written. We'll get back to you on that one.

On my end, I've introduced a formal AI structure. Team, Squadron and Unit AI structure is now in place, although the only useful function the AI currently serves, is to try to avoid the incoming missiles. The AI will be expanded, so units cooperate and the Team (AKA General) issues orders. However, with the structure in place, development of the AI will be much easier.

I've also been working on new instructions. Our vessels now know how to takeoff and land on runways! We're putting in place code that will allow vessels to deploy and stow the gear. That will be done by simulating the user pressing the G key - the specific key will be written in a ghost configuration file, so the autopilot knows what key to send to the vessel.

We've also done a lot of bug fixing and behind the scenes work, to make the future development easier and faster and to ensure OBSP gets more features over time.

OBSP recently launched a website: http://www.unrealaddicts.com/OBSP/
We'll be updating the website with new screenshots, videos and features over time, so subscribe to the email feed if you haven't done so already!