News Obama readies to blast NASA [UnTrue]

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think DOD is where the most pork is. No politician dares to touch the DOD budget because it's political suicide.

EDIT:
On a lighter note, can we change the thread's title, now that it's turned out to be a pack of lies?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On a lighter note, can we change the thread's title, now that it's turned out to be a pack of lies?

I suggest "Obama not ready to blast NASA".

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Hmm, budget for National Defense: 685 100 000 000 billion dollars.

Budget NASA: 18 724 000 000 billion dollars

Why don't the cut 5% of the National defense, and give that money to NASA. Must learn Obama that the modern technology mostly have a technology connect to Satellites and space programs?

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um...since when going back to the moon a bigger deal than our military? I do agree that our military could use some cut backs, but transferring that money to NASA? I go back to the efficiency model: How will that increase efficiency?

I think one image is better than 1000 words:

0b7ea9b398bc3d1defb7852c62eb50e3.png

The world's top 7 largest military budgets in 2010. Figures sourced from [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIPRI"]SIPRI[/ame]

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cut your military budget by 10... even 20%... you will have a large amount of excess money, and still have military spending a huge amount ahead of the 'next guy'.

(Also, is that huge military spending really due to a huge military? Maybe at least part of it, is just inefficiency created by politics to shovel money into the hungry mouths of military contractors... similar to some accusations made of the space program.)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
France has a bigger military budget than Russia ?? :blink:

Then we have probably the most cost/inefficient army of the world :rolleyes:

I get better why we have troubles...

Unstung

Reaction score
Why can't we rise the military budget of NASA, so nobody can blast it?
If we increase the budget of NASA enough, there may be enough jobs so that no congressman would want to cut NASA in risk of losing a few jobs, and thus voters, in their state.
But why would Congress do such a thing?

Keatah

Reaction score
I do not want to see interplanetary travel go away, but seeing as how the US is facing very bad economic times, cuts have to be made. I'm not saying the cuts should be made to support any bill that Obama proposes; that's a different issue. I believe that, until our country recovers from an economic recession, we should attempt to make cuts to all programs, including NASA, that don't improve the efficiency of the country. I'm not advocating the destruction of NASA, nor am I advocating the destruction of government, or smaller government. But anything that does not allow the US to become more efficient should be cut until our finances allow for some breathing room.

That is the problem, efficiency, we are already too efficient. One desktop computer eliminates 25 bean counters. Or it gets rid of a room of human calculators. For example.

Folks that would be happily employed doing those jobs are now moping around and getting fat.

Also, efficiency and outsourcing have mainly weakened this country beyond repair.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Can you show me where it says it is a lie? Have a source or a link? I would like to see it.

The burden of proof is on the claimant.

Ron Paul wasn't born in America, he was born in the north pole.
Ron Paul is a polar bear.
Ron Paul uses nanotechnology to appear to be human, he is a shapeshifter.
Ron Paul is Santa Clause
Ron Paul was Thor
The core of Saturn is made of Ron Pauls
Watermelons are filled with Ron Pauls until they're cut open, then they Shapeshift into the red "meat".
Ron Paul is Oprah
Ron Paul is Spartacus
Ron Paul is God
Ron Paul is the son of God
etc....onto infinity

Can you show me where it says ANY of these are lies? I would like to see it!

I hope my attempts of humor aren't offensive, I'm merely trying to demonstrate a point without being too serious. :cheers:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If we increase the budget of NASA enough, there may be enough jobs so that no congressman would want to cut NASA in risk of losing a few jobs, and thus voters, in their state.
But why would Congress do such a thing?

They are doing it right now. The problem is, money going toward furthering NASA's purpose and money going toward keeping jobs in the states of certain senators, is not the same thing. :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I claim the Earth is made of cheese.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

(list of absurd and light-hearted Ron Paul claims)

This is one of the best forum posts I've ever read, anywhere.

But I think palebluevoice misses the logic at play here.

And that logic is, if news or rumor about Obama is incriminating or puts him in a bad light, it is automatically true. ;)

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk

Ron Paul wasn't born in America, he was born in the north pole.
Ron Paul is a polar bear.
Ron Paul uses nanotechnology to appear to be human, he is a shapeshifter.
Ron Paul is Santa Clause
Ron Paul was Thor
The core of Saturn is made of Ron Pauls
Watermelons are filled with Ron Pauls until they're cut open, then they Shapeshift into the red "meat".
Ron Paul is Oprah
Ron Paul is Spartacus
Ron Paul is God
Ron Paul is the son of God
etc....onto infinity

Can you show me where it says ANY of these are lies? I would like to see it!

I hope my attempts of humor aren't offensive, I'm merely trying to demonstrate a point without being too serious. :cheers:
What? ok that was stupid!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What? ok that was stupid!

Exactly. So if absurd claims about Ron Paul are stupid, why aren't absurd claims about Barack Obama?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
That is the problem, efficiency, we are already too efficient. One desktop computer eliminates 25 bean counters. Or it gets rid of a room of human calculators. For example.

Folks that would be happily employed doing those jobs are now moping around and getting fat.

Also, efficiency and outsourcing have mainly weakened this country beyond repair.
I can't tell if you were attempting to be funny or not. I'm going to assume you are not; you are serious about this post, and I will treat it as such.

One desktop computer eliminates 25 bean counters.
Lets say I have some REALLY long, complicated, ugly math problem to do for an engineering project. Say, building a bridge. This bridge will also have a toll on it, due to the sheer cost of building it. Let's also assume I have both a desktop computer and 25 bean counters. Which do you think will get done faster?

Assume the computer is INCREDIBLY slow, and the bean counter operators are INCREDIBLY fast, such that the desktop computer only finishes twice as fast. Say, 10 minutes. The bean counter operators, as a whole, finish in 20. Their wage is 50 USD an hour

(1/6)*50 = 8.333 dollars, this guy got paid for doing this job. That's 8.333 dollars that the construction company spent. Add 8.333 dollars to the total cost of construction.
(1/3)*50 = 16.666 dollars, that EACH BEAN COUNTER got paid for the job. 16.666 * 25 = 416.666 dollars that this company had to shell out to the bean counters, as a whole.
416.666/8.333 = 50. Because this company wanted to be less efficient, it cost them 50 times more just to pay their lead engineer(s). Do you think that this company will just absorb this cost? No, they will pass it off to their "customers"; in this case, the toll. They will either make the toll higher or keep it longer.

^An example of how efficiency is always better.

You are equating a job to improving the efficiency of the country. If I hand you a shovel, and tell you to dig holes in the middle of the desert, just for my own amusement, and you are getting paid 20 dollars an hour (unions and all), and 1/3rd the country is doing this...the United States would die. Disintegrate. Dissolve.

We already covered the efficiency bit, now to outsourcing. I'm not sure where I stand on outsourcing. On the one hand, it improves the efficiency of whatever company is doing it (which, as we have shown, lowers production cost, and thus lowers the cost consumers pay), but it also pays someone else in a foreign country, which they will probably use to help their own country, not the country that gives them the job. So I'm not sure where I stand.

~Kaito

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Exactly. So if absurd claims about Ron Paul are stupid, why aren't absurd claims about Barack Obama?
Hey you guys want to defend a looser like Obama knock yourself out! I will have the last laugh come election time :lol:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
O-F Staff Note: Thread reopened.
Keep it nice and on topic.
That is all.

Last edited by a moderator: