OHM Normal Maps Pack for XR-2 Ravenstar

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: felix24

Complete normal maps for the hull including top, heatshield, cargo containers, radiators, cargo bay, and other features.  Top hull normal map is created from the default top hull, and is suitable for most default skins and repaints.

Designed for and requires the D3D9 or D3D11 external graphics clients.

Installation:

Unzip this file to a temporary location.
In your Textures\XR2Ravenstar folder, backup any previous normal map files (files that end with "_norm") if they exist.
Copy the new normal maps into the Textures\XR2Ravenstar folder.

To add to a custom repaint/skin: copy and paste the files "top_hull_colour_XR2_paint_norm.dds" and "bottom_hull_norm.dds" into the skin's folder.

Thanks to dbeachy and coolhand for such a wonderful spaceplane.

DOWNLOAD

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter definitively needs more of those, this exemple shows the power of normal maps.

Kendo

Reaction score
Gives it a new dimension, brilliant. :tiphat:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
These are good. Really good. I may not be able to use them myself as I have mess about with the XR-2s default skin quite a bit that your maps create maps for things that are no longer present on my ship, but my goodness it really makes the default skin look something sweet. Nicely done. Everyone who flies the XR-2 should give these a look.

I know there is a normal map that is in the D3D11 client already....but these are quite slick. I cant wait to try them out in D3D11.....eye candy to the max. I am gonna get fat on all the eye candy.

jllaurado

Reaction score
Great work

Just one thing, and i´m not sure if Orbiter might handle this properly.

The seams between metal plates seem way too wide, and if i´m not mistaken (i used to work in 3D modelling) that´s due to the fact that the image maps are too small.
The way we used to handle this (no orbiter related work) was making those texture maps 4 times bigger in resolution, while keeping the plate lines at the same size.
This would help in making the plates "tighter" as well as to reduce the "bumping" which to my opinioin is a bit too noticeable. The appearance would then become more realistic, and still reflections would "break" upon the seams which helps a lot to create the desired effect.

Felix24

Reaction score
It is possible to make higher-resolution normal maps, but they don't look good when paired with the original diffuse textures. To make it look good, I'd have to make brand-new higher resolution diffuse textures, and that is much harder than just making a normal map using an existing texture.

Kosiiq

Reaction score
GR8 Stuff!

It is possible to make higher-resolution normal maps, but they don't look good when paired with the original diffuse textures. To make it look good, I'd have to make brand-new higher resolution diffuse textures, and that is much harder than just making a normal map using an existing texture.

WOW! Brilliantly done! ( That must have been a lot of work removing those red lines and texts! Looks much better than the one I was working on... ;) )
You could try using the original texture, double the texture size, and use it as a template to draw cleaner lines I'm gonna try that with my XR-5 NM's

Felix24

Reaction score
WOW! Brilliantly done! ( That must have been a lot of work removing those red lines and texts! Looks much better than the one I was working on... ;) )
You could try using the original texture, double the texture size, and use it as a template to draw cleaner lines I'm gonna try that with my XR-5 NM's

Thanks. Actually, I did start out doing it that way. I doubled the texture size and used it as a guide to draw the lines. I drew the lines using vectors, so I could re-scale the picture and the lines would still show up fine. But that was just the beginning. It really got involved with lots of layers and blending of pre-rendered normal maps to get the final result.