Challenge Olympus base to Phobos surface (next multi-user events)

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
* EDIT (2023-12-10) *
This starting post in the thread evolves to keep track of the past events and to prepare the next ones:
  • (past) Elephant Walk 2022-09-11: annoncement below and report here
  • (past) surprise connection during a tutorial 2022-10-08... and fun! brief and link here
  • (past) event on 2022-10-30 see brief and results
  • (past) Search & Rescue missions in orbit (2022-dec), with a varying degree of success (see Highlights)!
  • (past) Debris removals... attempts! E.g. on 2023-jan-20
  • (cancelled) in Moon orbit => cancelled due to the need for vessel transfer when disconnecting => see OMX v1.0.0. (addon).
  • CURRENTLY & NEXT: Flights from Mars to Phobos at 1G-thrust, see latest posts here.
The latest version OrbiterX v2.6, that includes OMX v1.0.0. + a Fix 1.0.1. is required. OrbiterX server is no more compatible with older versions. See installation in the Addon page and discuss any troubles in the Addon's discussion thread..

YOU ARE INVITED to some events, organized here from time to time. Why these events? For the fun and for tests. We (fellows and I) have set up a new OMP server 24/7, i.e. a permanent universe. It's been open publicly since late 2022 and we test it while developing a gameplay. This universe will be oriented to the exploration at 1G, survivability of the crew (weight & shocks, air, water, food, radiation) and cooperation. First, let's see if our server can afford a lot of connections... or if it crashes at some point! We have a lot to do but, in the meantime, we hope you can enjoy some events with us.

Please, when you connect at Rochambeau airport, leave the pad as soon as you can. You can park some meters away but don't stay on the pads.

Example of a former Elephant Walk at Rochambeau airport:

EM_rules.pngREM_CENSUS_Exit-E.png

By the way, you can already connect and discover the nice Rochambeau airport (after installing all addons). No traffic regulation. You may see "ORBIX" vessel parked around, it is the 24/7 client that streams on Twitch (see on Twitch channel if live).

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Good luck with your setup! Just be aware that the O-F OMP download is not working since the migration from OHM. However, on the O-F OMP page, there is a link in the description pointing to the repo installation WIKI, which has a functional download link.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed, thank you for the warning! I edited the first post with your link.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was told that the correct wording for such event is "Elephant Walk" (not march)... which I corrected.
If anybody has advises, comments, questions, please post here, and it will help spread the word for the event until Sunday... For instance: what is an "Elephant Walk"?

... this:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dress rehearsal before Sunday:

EW_rehearsal(2).png

Let's be optimistic: just imagine tens of DG like this, taking off one after one after the Elephant Walk, flying above the airport all together for a moment :)

ok, back to preparations, now let's see Discord > OMP channel.

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Help for tomorrow, Sunday 14:30 UTC (reminder) => I saw on the "orbiterx" server that at least 5 users connected without IDs. Then, I assume the connexion process is not that clear. Let's detail how to connect here and, remember, you can test your set up and the connexion (and some flight) as soon as now. Just feel free to give it a try.

HOW TO CONNECT:
EW_connect-1.png

1. (after downloading and installing the addons) in "Modules", check LifeMFD and SoundOrbiter (optional)
2. still in "Modules", check OMPClient => a new subwindow opens...
3. input orbiterx.obspm.fr and port 1515 as shown for the Server
4. input your NICKNAME (vessel's name) and "toto" for the password
5. then click "Connect Orbiter"
EW_connect-2.png
6. in the subwindow, put the cursor (i.e. click) in the empty line (shown by "6") THEN press ENTER
7. when the list of pads is displayed DOUBLE CLICK on the desired Pad

again, as soon as connected and operational, leave your pad to reach the taxiway just in front of you, then drive to the runway 08 at speed 3m/s.

(we'll try to make it simpler someday)

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

we had some issues at coordinating (but fun!). Actually we lost somebody nicknamed Chups.
Dont' fly like me at t=19'15'' :sick:
I am now very interested in any feedback (complexity, schedule, interest, future events and locations....). Please react. First feedback is:
  • 7 IPs were connected according to the server:welcome:
  • but only 5 were visible (incl. Chups). Hence, there was some bugs... but what, for who, when?.... no idea
  • apparently the event is well adapted for new Orbinauts (some users could not drive straight or smooth :D and some crashed :eek: )
This was a humble attempt but quiet fun already.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice setup! Unfortunately, I'm very busy these days with RL stuff, so I was unable to join the fun. Some ideas for your next event:
  1. You can use 2 clients on the same machine if you use MOGE and D3D9Client in parallel. I know that this works because I used this configuration to test client/server in the past, all on one machine. This might help you debug things like UDP problems, if they arise.
  2. For ad-hoc coms, you can use the inline chat feature. Just type something in the OMP client window and it should be transmitted to everybody's client chat section. Of course voice is better, but at least initial coms and quick directional advice may work through this.
  3. You can use the scenario editor with OMP. This way you can quickly play with formation setups like this due to its positioning feature. Even if the taxiing should be done for immersion, error corrections or fine-tuning can be done faster than turning that DG around.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For ad-hoc coms, you can use the inline chat feature. Just type something in the OMP client window and it should be transmitted to everybody's client chat section. Of course voice is better, but at least initial coms and quick directional advice may work through this.

Yes, I was aware of this feature that works fine. However, I've seen users how close the OMPClient window as soon as connected... and I had so much to deal with OBS + Discord + my vessel, I could not add the writing!!

By the way, I just discovered how Twitch works (don't laugh), and I think it would be much better for these events to inform about available Connexion Pads and provide audio regulation. Orbiter on Discord is limited to subscribed users, hence maybe not the best channel. I will consider using Twitch for the next try. Soon.

You can use the scenario editor with OMP. This way you can quickly play with formation setups like this due to its positioning feature. Even if the taxiing should be done for immersion, error corrections or fine-tuning can be done faster than turning that DG around.
I'm surprised: if my vessel is A, and I jump into vessel B (somebody else's connexion) with the scenario editor or the Ship selector, I cannot modify its remote state, can I? I tried some time ago and it was my conclusion.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm surprised: if my vessel is A, and I jump into vessel B (somebody else's connexion) with the scenario editor or the Ship selector, I cannot modify its remote state, can I? I tried some time ago and it was my conclusion.
Yes, you can't change remote vessels. What I meant was that often users are not aware that they can use ScnEditor to correct themselves if taxiing goes wrong.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As we are preparing another Elephant Walk in October (hopefully) before organizing another easy & fun event .... on the Moon (yes!), soon after, here are a few news in preparation of this next event:
  • the setup is a bit different from the last one: as soon as connected, your DeltaGlider already moves forward (thrust 6%). Don't panic: you will slowly leave the Pad and reach the taxiway (30 sec.), also it is a convenient thrust to stabilize at 3m/s. Watch around and take the taxiway to the left to reach Runway 08.
  • WHENEVER you want, watch for the real-time webcam at Rochambeau (time is given in UTC, French Guyana local time is UTC-04:00, I think):
    • you can see the free PADs to connect to and, once connected, you can see yourself on the TV 📺and your are seen from the whole world (and universe). If you want to connect alone or with friends before the event, just do so at your own risks, the airport is not controlled
    • This Twitch link, if LIVE, will be used to moderate the event in real-time. Have an account there before the event to chat during the stream (also "follow" this channel and "LIKE" the previous streams, thx)
    • e.g. past Twitch link = EW from Rochambeau
FEEDBACK: Some tests on the real-time broadcast, yesterday over 24 hours, were quiet convincing. You can replay on Twitch the 3 visits we got on the airport and that I have extracted from the stream (2 by night and 1 by day, see the video comments). Also I could note that visitors from Cuba (close to French Guyana, actually) and from Slovakia (so far, wow!) connected without vessel identification. Then I am suspecting that the procedure to setup (addons) and to connect is still unclear. Tell us so, here, otherwise, we cannot improve. Counting on you... and hoping you'll enjoy.

Tentative date for the event: Saturday or Sunday within 22....30 October 2022, at 16:00UTC or 17:00UTC.
--- EDIT Twitch link on 2023-11-5 ---

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, I made a tutorial this morning (French Guyana time) on how to setup, to connect and to take off & land at night... and you know what? Somebody connected at the same time (maybe because I made the announcement on twitch yesterday for today) and hunted me during the tutorial !!!! ... well, it was really fun and it made a great event: a good pilot, apparently... until the crash :D

see 2022-10-08 "highlight" here from 00:23:30 in the Full video
(and "FOLLOW" and "LIKE" etc....).

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A few fellows and I have selected the 30th of October (Sunday) for the next Elephant Walk on the server orbiterx.obspm.fr. New Orbinauts or new users of the Multi-player module are especially welcome, before we move to more challenging events ;)

The stream shall start at 17:00UT on Oct.30. Warning that Sunday, we will change from Summer time to Winter time in some countries (e.g. in France). The reference time is the one streamed on the real-time webcam on Twitch (given previously). E.g.: past streaming here.

• The setup is stil the same like previously here (1st post of this thread). Do not forget to leave the pad as soon as connected?
  • I know the connection process is still complex: everyday at 18:30UT on that Twitch until the event, I will be there for a Q&A session. Just ask.

The goal is still to test the servers with a fun & friendly event. If you've got some Twitch channel, don't hesitate to record from your own point of view as well!
--- EDIT Twitch link on 2023-11-5 ---

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Finally, we experienced some instabilities (we were too lucky so far). Sometimes; somebody connects and it makes ORBIX client (the client on the server's computer) crash, but the server does not crash. This may be linked with NSTP issues as we can see that ORBIX client has some brutal acceleration (2.0x) and some important latency (MJD 39 / -6 / -81) as shown on this:
OMP-window.png

If you are experienced with this issue in OMP, I'm interested.
If you can test now, i.e. before the event, and report any issue (or no issue within 3 mn after connecting successfully), I'm interested as well. Also, I'm connected on Twitch every day at 18:30(UT) until the event, to discuss anything about this experiment........

In the Twitch stream, the bottom-left inset tells the server's status and as long as no red lines appear, it's ok. The main view is from ORBIX client, if it becomes black, it means that it crashed... Then report and I will go to the logs and see if we can investigate. Anyway, that's the aim of the experiment.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just remove the SNTP server definitions and run your server unsynchronized. The only thing that really counts is the sync between server and clients, not towards NTP. Server and clients sync with PTP in later versions of OMP, anyway.
Quite possibly your hickup there was due to a bad SNTP server response offsetting your server clock, and thus causing the ORBIX client to accelerate in order to catch up with it. Or somebody guessed your admin password and set the MJD forward with an admin connection. In any case, x2 is the maximum the sync mechanism uses automatically to catch up. You can override it for higher acceleration as long as the clocks are off sufficiently, but you can't limit it.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I did so in both the server xml and the client xml and, indeed, ORBIX client did not crash anymore. Although multiple vessels (with different IP) can connect without making anyone else crash, they don't see one another as reliably as previously (they appear/disappear frequently). We saw this behaviour at the beginning of our server setup and solved it (wrongly?) by the use of our own sntp.

By the way, my OMP parameters may be wrong (I don't understand so well the sync' stories) and we ended up with this "TIMING" line on server's side. Was this correct?
<Timing Transmitter="200" SNTP="2000" Resync="60000" />

...that I changed back to the default values today, as follows:
<Timing Transmitter="1800" SNTP="250" Resync="2000" />

Server and clients sync with PTP in later versions of OMP, anyway.
Used OMP version is 0.8.2

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The crash of a client by the connection of another client still occurs (in addition of the sporadic visibilities by one another). We are looking at our logs for any drifts in our nstp servers in the last days. In the meantime, I re-installed the nstp.obspm.fr setting, which proved to ensure several days/weeks of stability. But I don't understand the detailed numbers. The OMP documentation (reminder 0.8.2) doesn't tell any details. Thank you Face, I don't want to harass you, so if anybody else has got explanations, it will be helpful as well:
  • user-level explanations of the Latency numbers in OMPClient window (once connected)
  • admin-level explanations of TIMING settings in the server.xml file (see prev.post)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did so in both the server xml and the client xml and, indeed, ORBIX client did not crash anymore. Although multiple vessels (with different IP) can connect without making anyone else crash, they don't see one another as reliably as previously (they appear/disappear frequently). We saw this behaviour at the beginning of our server setup and solved it (wrongly?) by the use of our own sntp.

By the way, my OMP parameters may be wrong (I don't understand so well the sync' stories) and we ended up with this "TIMING" line on server's side. Was this correct?
<Timing Transmitter="200" SNTP="2000" Resync="60000" />

...that I changed back to the default values today, as follows:
<Timing Transmitter="1800" SNTP="250" Resync="2000" />

Used OMP version is 0.8.2

In order for the PTP mechanism to be used, the client should not have SNTP configurations as well. I had an unsynchronized server running for a long time and never observed sync issues with it, so perhaps something else is at play in your setup.
What your timing lines there mean is as follows:
  • The first line makes the server transmit every 200ms to a connected client, do 2s calls to SNTP, but wait after the specified number of calls (perhaps the default 30) for 60s, then makes the next NTP run. It makes a busy client stream and a slow sync.
  • The second line makes the server transmit every 1,8s to a connected client, doe 250ms calls to SNTP, and wait only 2s after the NTP run. It makes a lazy client stream and a fast sync.
The crash of a client by the connection of another client still occurs (in addition of the sporadic visibilities by one another). We are looking at our logs for any drifts in our nstp servers in the last days. In the meantime, I re-installed the nstp.obspm.fr setting, which proved to ensure several days/weeks of stability. But I don't understand the detailed numbers. The OMP documentation (reminder 0.8.2) doesn't tell any details. Thank you Face, I don't want to harass you, so if anybody else has got explanations, it will be helpful as well:
  • user-level explanations of the Latency numbers in OMPClient window (once connected)
  • admin-level explanations of TIMING settings in the server.xml file (see prev.post)

Once again, I can only say that using the SNTP feature in server and clients is not the way to go. The OMP documentation shows details about the OMPClient window numbers on page 14:
The numbers to the right are actual measurements of the maximum (upper), minimum (lower) and median (middle) value of the real-time clock skew w.r.t. UTC of the current machine. Normally, this is between 800 and 20 us/s in both directions. Additionally, the middle numbers show the maximum (upper), minimum (lower) and average (middle) value of the current machine's simulation time offset w.r.t. the server's simulation time.
Naturally, this outdated documentation does not take into account that UTC (SNTP) is not necessary anymore. In the case of the unsynchronized server, replace "UTC" with "common time", which is essentially the server machine's free-running clock. Everything else is as it was before, so the doc is still valid.

In addition, the documentation contains a diagram of the syntax tree of the server configuration in appendix A on page 23:
1666606872781.png
1666607697009.png
I'll try to explain it further:
  • The NTP tag has attributes "Samples", "History", "Offset", and "Skew". "Samples" is how many samples are taken via SNTP calls to generate one NTP "calculation". "History" is how many NTP "calculations" are stored to average the current clock skew. "Offset" is only used on startup and defines how far off the machine's clock is to UTC. "Skew" is also only used on startup and defines how "skewed" the machine's clock is w.r.t. the atomic clock base.
  • The NTP tag has one or many Server children tags.
  • A Server tag has attributes "Address", "Misses", "Delay", "Alarm". "Address" is the SNTP server host name. "Misses" is the amount of allowed SNTP call misses before the server is suspended. Suspension means, that the server is not taken into account while randomly choosing servers for SNTP calls. The "Delay" means how many suspended "hits" the random algorithm must do on the server before it is reactivated again. It is a multiplier, meaning that value of "Delay" times value of "Misses" is the exact amount of suspended "hits". "Alarm" at last means at which point the server is permanently suspended from being taken into account. Again, this is a multiplier, meaning that value of "Alarm" times value of "Delay" is the exact amount of misses allowed for the permanent suspension taking place.
  • The Timing tag has attributes "Transmitter", "GarbageCollector", "SNTP", and "Resync". "Transmitter" is the time in milliseconds until the next transmission of data to server and neighbor clients is done. "GarbageCollector" is the time in seconds between GC runs, deleting remote vessels without update of transmission data. "SNTP" is the time in milliseconds until the next SNTP call is generated within an NTP run. "Resync" at last is the time in milliseconds between NTP runs.
As you can see, the SNTP/NTP algorithm is overly complex with many settings. That's why I've got rid of it by means of using PTP with an unsynchronized server instead. This was stable for years, actually. Even on Azure VMs.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Face!! With your explanation, some figures of the documentation make more sense. Hopefully, the setup will be stable enough for the next event.

@all, potential attendees on Sunday: I'll make additional tests and, then, post a summary of the setup. To the maximum possible extent, I'm trying to NOT change the addons that we need, thus the same like in the very first post of this thread. But keep an eye here!

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Kind reminder for tomorrow, 5pm UTC (check your local time, the time in the server is the UTC time).

Here is a video briefing to connect and to drive, in my good Frenglish ;)

Setup = same like the fist Elephant Walk (first post of this thread), i.e. at least:
  1. Orbiter 2016 (thank you, Martin) +...
  2. Face's OMP = this link (thank you, Face)
  3. Papyref's Rochambeau = this link (thank you, Papyref)
  4. OrbiterX v2-1.zip = this link
  5. Keep a Twitch window opened on the LIVE for tchat & audio coordination = this link
  6. Then, connect to orbiterx.obspm.fr, port 1515 (refer to note C in the very first post of the thread)
Hope to see a few of you tomorrow, Sunday 5pm UTC, on the tarmac at Rochambeau, French Guyana :)