New Mercury textures

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
With BepiColombo finally underway, I thought it would be a good idea to update the Mercury textures to spruce up Orbiter for any simulated missions.

They are available on the highres repository on Orbiter-Radio (other mirrors may pick them up in time).

The textures are based on Messenger MDIS images available on USGS Astrogeology. I have used the 166m panchromatic mosaic for pansharpening the 665m colour mosaic. The colour data also needed to be severely desaturated.

The elevation layer probably only works with the Orbiter beta, since it uses a 0.5m elevation scaling factor which wasn't supported by Orbiter 2016 Release version. And the label layer definitely needs the beta.

Let me know if you find any issues.

picture.php

picture.php

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks Martin, I don't remember when I last time visited Mercury. So, I definately have to start planning a new trip now. :thumbup:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Thanks Martin, I don't remember when I last time visited Mercury. So, I definately have to start planning a new trip now. :thumbup:

Here's a place to start:

[ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5151"]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5151[/ame]

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can we have similar treatment for Titan too? So that it works properly with D3D9 client in Orbiter 2016? A suggestion too.. specular maps can also be added for simulated fictional methane lakes on Titan.

Anyway, this Mercury map is fantastic :thumbup:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Question: after installing the pack, the Textures/Mercury.tex file isn't needed anymore, right?
(same question for Titan.tex and Titan_cloud.tex after installing the Titan pack)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Question: after installing the pack, the Textures/Mercury.tex file isn't needed anymore, right?
(same question for Titan.tex and Titan_cloud.tex after installing the Titan pack)

Correct. However, the config files in the betas will still be referring to them, since I don't want to make downloading the new textures a requirement for running the Orbiter beta. So when updating your beta installation, you need to make sure that they don't revert to the old versions.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I was thinking that these new textures need a properly dedicated scenario in "The Solar System" folder.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible to make these a torrent? I have a machine running most days with the Orbiter torrents on it.

N.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...And the label layer definitely needs the beta...
Martin, it doesn't hurt to copy the Label.tree file in Orbiter2016 Textures\<planet>\Archive folder, does it?
They just don't work, as expected.

I'm trying to simplify my HiRes textures management, so I copy all the .tree files in Orbiter2016, and then use this system:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=563571&postcount=4

Besides .tree files, I also copy all the relative small .cfg HiRes files in both their Orbiter2016 and OrbiterBeta folders.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Martin, it doesn't hurt to copy the Label.tree file in Orbiter2016 Textures\<planet>\Archive folder, does it?
They just don't work, as expected.

That's correct. You should even be able to leave the LabelFormat = 2 directive in the cfg file for the 2016 version, since any unrecognised directives are ignored.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's back up!!!! :hailprobe:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Not for me though. Possibly a last glimmer of life from the server? In any case, the website has been moved to a new server with a temporary address of http://orbit-uat.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/. The old address should be migrated shortly.

Oops, back up for me now as well. Probably this is currently being worked on, so maybe a bit flaky right now. Anyway, forget the temporary address.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Temporary address works, original is now offline again... :uhh:

Antares14

Reaction score
Would be great to have upload/authoring dates next to each of the texture packs on the website so we can know when they were added and/or updated. Save some time