OHM New Horizons Pluto Encounter

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

A scenario following New Horizons 1.5 days before closest approach to Pluto. Scenario starts 13 July 2015, 00:00. Updated .cfg's for Pluto,Charon,Nix,Hydra,Styx and Kerberos. Meshes for Styx, Kerberos. State vectors and orbital elements from JPL Horizons.

Full installation instructions in Doc/New Horizons Pluto Encounter/

REQUIREMENTS
"New Horizons" add-on by Castorp
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1477

"Pluto and moons" add-on by Piper
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4595

DOWNLOAD

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
989.jpg

I don't know why, but in my Orbiter, New Horizons orbiting sun..

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, I forgot to edit sol.cfg. Sorry!

NOMAD

Reaction score
Hi brianj, would you like to make a launch scenario for this add-on? The launch scenario in New Horizons add-on is broken since the required add-on is no longer available on Orbit Hangar Mods. I think it is easy to make this scenario because you can use the stuff from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6473"]Solar Probe[/ame] . Thanks !

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi brianj, would you like to make a launch scenario for this add-on? The launch scenario in New Horizons add-on is broken since the required add-on is no longer available on Orbit Hangar Mods. I think it is easy to make this scenario because you can use the stuff from Solar Probe . Thanks !
I'll see what I can do, but don't have much time right now. I think Jim Clem's old AtlasV is still on OH, but you'd have to convert it to multistage2.dll and spacecraft3.dll.

Voyager_VI

Sailor Tim
Reaction score
Thank you BrianJ, hadn't revisited this mission in some time. Nice to see it with all the moons added in.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'll see what I can do, but don't have much time right now. I think Jim Clem's old AtlasV is still on OH, but you'd have to convert it to multistage2.dll and spacecraft3.dll.

It appears to me that it was already done - I'm downloading it to see what happens.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12224#post141896

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=705"]Atlas V version 2 Beta 0.3[/ame]

(EDIT: It did it manually, I thought it would be easier than patching the patch as I do not have the original/ and update/ subdirs)

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I assume that the Jim Clem launch version looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EecRSUeajQI

Honestly, the BrianJ implementation of the AtlasV is much better, IMHO- including the launch facility, the textures, the particle streams, using the correct Centaur stage, etc.

But, the gem of BrianJ's AtlasV is the dll Centaur with the parking orbit insertion autopilot.

BrianJ, if possible, how hard would it be to make a generic version of the dll Centaur such that the payload could be specified with some sort of configuration file rather than being hard-coded? Then the community could take care of updating launch scenarios, etc.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Honestly, the BrianJ implementation of the AtlasV is much better, IMHO- including the launch facility, the textures, the particle streams, using the correct Centaur stage, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a peek

But, the gem of BrianJ's AtlasV is the dll Centaur with the parking orbit insertion autopilot.

BrianJ, if possible, how hard would it be to make a generic version of the dll Centaur[...]

Did you saw the Velcro source code? It uses Guidance.h that uses a precalculated pairs of Pitch,Energy to feed the attitude (where energy is calculated with altitude and velocity). The Velcro "roll program is hardcoded, but I don't think it would be too hard to make it configurable from the .CFG.

EDIT: Forget about. :) BrianJ already did something like this:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6324"]PitchRecorderMFD[/ame]

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
If it is okay with BrianJ, I am working on an all multistage2 launch scenario for New Horizons based on the Solar Probe add-on.

Anyone have any info on launch heading, parking orbit info, etc.?

Edit:
@BrianJ,

The payload adapter that comes on the Centaur mesh is extraneous. Is there an easy way to delete it from the msh file?

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it is okay with BrianJ, I am working on an all multistage2 launch scenario for New Horizons based on the Solar Probe add-on.

Anyone have any info on launch heading, parking orbit info, etc.?

Edit:
@BrianJ,

The payload adapter that comes on the Centaur mesh is extraneous. Is there an easy way to delete it from the msh file?
Absolutely fine by me. You're welcome to edit the centaur mesh as required, or post a screen shot of the part you need removed and I can do that real quick.

A proper integrated AtlasV set-up is on my list of things to make for Orbiter, just a question of finding the time.

So, New Horizons is nearly there! Hope they manage to get one or two images back soon after the flyby. Alan Stern and the rest of the NH team have spent so many years working toward this moment, the nerves must be horrendous. Here's a:hailprobe: for luck.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Okay, I have finished a proof of concept for an updated launch scenario, but I need to work on other stuff tonight. This package requires the New Horizons add-on, BrianJ's Solar Probe add-on, and whatever that requires (MRO, LRO, etc.).

Accomplishments/ TO DO list:
-Multistage2 implementation of New Horizons launch using BrianJ's beautiful Atlas V implementation, with New Horizons/Star48 stack added as payload, and Centaur added as a stage rather than dll vessel. Meshes should fit together properly, etc. (I think!). Please let me know otherwise.

-All masses/burn times, etc. are from either the solar probe add-on, the New Horizons add-on, or perhaps in the case of the Centaur stage from an AtlasV/Cygnus mission that Galactic Penguin posted on O-F last winter. I have NOT checked any of the masses against "real world values" for myself, so please let me know if something is off.

-I have modified the launch scenario that comes with the New Horizons add-on. I assume that it is accurate but I have NOT confirmed for myself.

- I have made a preliminary (WIP) multistage2 launch guidance autopilot. It is based heavily on the Solar Probe one. It should get you to a crude parking orbit. The launch azimuth is 94 degrees because- Solar Probe. I have NOT checked the autopilot against any real world launch parameters. (Actually, I had trouble finding info for the real world parking orbit.) Nor do I even know if the launch will put you in plane for the proper TJI. I'll have to check later.

-Added a 12 RPM? spin to the Star48/New Horizons stack at separation based on an animation I saw on Youtube. Should this be changed, deleted?

-I deleted the solar probe decal from the fairing to keep it generic, but I have not added the New Horizons decal. According to photos of the launch, the launch decal that was on the fairing was different/simplified from the fancy mission logo that you see these days. If anyone has the decal, or would like to do the fairing, that would be great.

-I would like to work on the post-launch scenarios as well, but not right now.

-If possible, I would like to delete the big payload adapter from the Centaur mesh shown here:

Edit:
Also perhaps remove the ULA logo from the Centaur as IIRC, the company did not exist yet.

Attachments

• NewHorizonsUpdate_boogabooga.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

NOMAD

Reaction score
Accomplishments/ TO DO list:
-Multistage2 implementation of New Horizons launch using BrianJ's beautiful Atlas V implementation, with New Horizons/Star48 stack added as payload, and Centaur added as a stage rather than dll vessel. Meshes should fit together properly, etc. (I think!). Please let me know otherwise.

Could you add the Star48B motor as a payload of the Centaur stage(the dll vessel) just like in the Solar Probe add-on ?
The Star48B motor can be found in [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3471"]Delta II Missions Mod[/ame], but it is necessary to add a spin table on Centaur stage so that we can fire the spin rocket to spin up the solid motor and the spacecraft.
In addition, the RPM of the Star48B is about 70 in my memory. Here is an example on YouTube: Kepler:2nd and 3rd-Stage Separation

Some of the launch info can be found here: https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/139889main_PressKit12_05.pdf
The launch heading can be calculated via TransX I think.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here you go, a centaur mesh with no adaptor and the relevant .dds with ULA removed. NB centaur mesh looks for it's .dds textures in /SolarProbe folder, so you'll need to edit that if you use a different folder structure.

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• nh_cent_msh_dds.zip
    230.8 KB · Views: 17

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Could you add the Star48B motor as a payload of the Centaur stage(the dll vessel) just like in the Solar Probe add-on ?
The Star48B motor can be found in Delta II Missions Mod, but it is necessary to add a spin table on Centaur stage so that we can fire the spin rocket to spin up the solid motor and the spacecraft.
In addition, the RPM of the Star48B is about 70 in my memory. Here is an example on YouTube: Kepler:2nd and 3rd-Stage Separation

Some of the launch info can be found here: https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/139889main_PressKit12_05.pdf
The launch heading can be calculated via TransX I think.

Hi NOMAD.
I can't tell if or how to add different payloads to the dll Centaur, which is why I asked BrianJ for a generic version, and why I am working on an all multistage2 implementation for now. The Star48 that comes with the Solar Probe add-on is- to the best of my knowledge- an advanced three-axis stabilized version and not exactly what launched New Horizons. I haven't seen what comes with the Delta II mission mod. I am using the Star48 that came with the original New Horizons add-on for now. You can deploy payload with an initial spin rate in multistage2 and this is what I have done. I will adjust the spin to to 65RPM based in info that I have found.

Edit: Found a source-
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/pkb/ssr/ssr-mission-design.pdf

Last edited:

NOMAD

Reaction score
Hi NOMAD.
I can't tell if or how to add different payloads to the dll Centaur, which is why I asked BrianJ for a generic version, and why I am working on an all multistage2 implementation for now. The Star48 that comes with the Solar Probe add-on is- to the best of my knowledge- an advanced three-axis stabilized version and not exactly what launched New Horizons. I haven't seen what comes with the Delta II mission mod. I am using the Star48 that came with the original New Horizons add-on for now. You can deploy payload with an initial spin rate in multistage2 and this is what I have done. I will adjust the spin to to 65RPM based in info that I have found.

Just check the Delta II Mission Mod, I haven't found any stuff of Star48B in it.

I know how to program with C/C++ and Orbiter API. I have programmed some Orbiter add-ons though I never publish it. If it is necessary, I will try to write a dll version of the Star48B motor with the spin table and yo-yo de-spin mechanism. Since the Star48B is just a solid motor without any attitude control, it's easy to finish the job.

I also have 2 questions:
1. I am not good at modeling, hope that some one can provide a Star48B mesh for me.
2. BrianJ's implementation of centaur is good enough, can we attach the Star48B and New Horizons as a payload of the centaur? (I mean treat Star48B and New Horizons as a payload.)

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Okay, here is another revision.

Accomplishments:

-Launch date corrected. I can confirm that if you launch at the historic time with the provided guidance file, you will be able to carry out the mission.

-Star48/New Horizons stack spins at 65 RPM.

-New Horizons decal added to fairing. A little larger that it was historically because I wanted to be sure that it could be read. Might shrink it later. Thanks to Futhalero for finding the jpg on the internet.

-Tweaked the guidance file to give a bit better parking orbit.

-Using the Centaur mesh and texture provided by BrianJ. Unfortunately, deleting the payload adapter from the mesh didn't quite fix the issue like I expected. The circular opening on the forward bulkhead is still too wide. I hadn't realized that there was an opening at all. Presently, the payload is "attached" to the fuel tank and recessed below the bulkhead. I'm leaving it for now, but perhaps the entire forward bulkhead could be deleted, or the opening closed?

Attachments

• NewHorizonsUpdate_boogabooga.zip
    283.1 KB · Views: 53