[NASSP 7] Crew egress on splashdown

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello,

Is is possible to egress the crew after splashdown and show them on the recovery "raft"?

I believe this was possible on NASSP 6, a century ago ;) . But is this possible on NASSP 7? Then, how to do it?

35-Misión concluida.jpg

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have just checked the code, and I think it is not possible to do this in NASSP 7 or 8. However, just like the EVA on the Moon, most of the code for this still exists and it wouldn't be too difficult to restore it. That won't help you for NASSP 7 of course. There is a boolean variable called bRecovery which isn't set to true by anything in the code. But if it would be set to true then a bunch of post landing code would be run, and I'm pretty sure the mesh of this raft is shown. In the oldest version of the NASSP code available to me you egressed by pressing the J key to open the side hatch and then when you pressed J a second time you egress and the raft is shown. That code was only used in the "non-realism" mode (so without Virtual AGC etc.), which is probably why it got deleted at some point. I can try to restore this feature for NASSP 8, but there won't be any patch for NASSP 7 anymore.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Any possibility of an alpha release of NASSP 8? Of course, some of the features that are only possible in beta will be lost, and some workarounds would be necessary. The discussion of implementing NASSP for 2016 was opened before the discussion of implementing AMSO for 2016. However, the AMSO implementation was released in 2019, and the NASSP implementation for 2016 was still unreleased.

Last edited:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can find very regular releases of NASSP 8 here: https://github.com/orbiternassp/NASSP/releases

Development for NASSP 8 for Orbiter 2016 started in early 2017 after NASSP 7 got released. So those were dedicated, if early builds for Orbiter 2016. When we stilled called it NASSP 8 Alpha. At some point we noticed several problems and bugs in Orbiter 2016, some of which we had to implement a workaround for. Others we couldn't do a workaround for (like a docked burn of the LM DPS engine). That's why we switched to developing for the Orbiter Beta.

That being said, the current builds are functional in Orbiter 2016 as the workarounds are still present (although unused for the Orbiter Beta). If I would do a dedicated build for Orbiter 2016 instead of the Beta then all I would change is the Orbiter API version which is used to build the NASSP modules. And maybe I would change a thrust vector control gain for the SPS in the CMC erasable memory, in the launch scenarios. I think with the current settings it can have problems controlling the CSM+LM durning LOI-1. We can't do the same for the LGC for docked DPS burns, as those numbers are hardcoded in the LGC software. Other than that it's not really different from the version we are developing for the Orbiter Beta.