Discussion Name proposition for shuttle class vessel

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi

As few of you have seen already I'm in the process of developing my replacement for Shuttle and kindly I ask you to come up with name proposition for entire class. We have Ravenstar, DG-IV, Vanguard etc. and I can't just name it "Space Shuttle 2".

As I'm treating this project very serious only serious names will be considered.

Here is picture of the shuttle: It's slightly smaller than STS and will have similar role except hauling heavy cargo (payload capacity is 15 tons)
sh1-montage.jpg

I'd like to you to write 1 or 2 sentences supporting your proposition. Something like:

Name: Voyager Shuttle

It's a name with great legacy (Space probes and sea ships) and it describes craft as sturdy and brave in his voyages.

This thread is only for your suggestions not for arguing about pros and cons of any name.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Aquarius Shuttle

A nice homage to Apollo 13's Lunar Module, the savior of the Apollo 13 crew and Aquarius was a "cup-bearer" to the gods, a delivery system, like a Space Shuttle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Name: Krusenstern Shuttle (Крузенштерн)

Named after the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Johann_von_Krusenstern"]leader of the first Russian circumnavigation of the globe[/ame] (since it looks damn Russian with the Energia like rocket and the MiG-style rudders) and one of the most beautiful tall ships today. (Also "stern" is the German word for star)

EDIT: And this could make a nice template for a program logo.
%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F.gif

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I propose:

Norge Shuttle
Italian airship. First to overfly the North Pole on May 12, 1926.

Auguste Piccard Shuttle
First mesoscaph (medium-depth submersible vessel) and first passenger submarine.

Amelia Shuttle
For Amelia Mary Earhart, pilot and aviation pioneer. Sad story but it's romantic enough that all the girls will swoon over you.:thumbup:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My proposal is the Magellan. He led the first expedition to circumnavigate Earth which this Shuttle certainly would though admittedly, it wouldn't be the first.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Пионер (Pioneer) class, with individual ship names like Y.A. Gagarin, Neil Armstrong, etc.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If it is supposed to be operated by NASA, I'd stick to acronyms, Greek/Roman mythological or names that suggest a concept related to the US Constitution or space exploration.

Like "SSP Phase II (Space Shuttle Program Phase II), SLSE (Space Launch System Evolution)", or "Artemis, Cronus, Prometheus", or "Liberty, Freedom, Justice, Union, Independance", or "Galaxy, Pulsar, Nova, Meteor"...

:2cents:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Columbia perhaps? Since it was the name of the CM of Apollo 11 and the first Space Shuttle.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Caprimulgus

Why? Because Caprimulgus is a beautiful name for a shuttle class spacecraft. Also Caprimulgus is the Latin name for the nightjar, and what have most birds and space-shuttles common with each other: There can ''fly''.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Resolute

Why? Sticking with the convention of naming a shuttle after a famous sailing vessel, the HMS Resolute was abandoned at sea, recovered by Americans years later, sent back to the Queen and the wood from the ship was used to make the President's desk.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What would you say about LORU Shuttle :cheers:
Low
Orbit
Reusable
Universal
Shuttle

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My suggestions are:
- "Hummingbird"
- "Eagle"
- "Butterfly"
- "Shadow"
- "Lightning"
My favorite of these five is "Shadow" and "Lightning". From under, it's dark, like a shadow. Also, it is very fast, like a lightning.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
STS II is fine, it's short, sweet, and to the point!, It reflects exactly what it is... a shuttle replacement. Generationaly I think we know the next class, STS III and so on.!

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Bradbury class shuttle, given the days events.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Name 1: Pryon (just a SF name)
Name 2: Coanda (from Henri Coandă)
Name 3: Ietis (from International Enterprise for Transport of Interplanetary Stuff)
Name 4: Chimera (from an unfinished Infinity game)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I kind of like Bradbury for the same reason as Aeadar. But along those lines Theodore Sturgeon is often overlooked. Perhaps those may be better left for Moon or Mars bases...

Urwumpe's Krusenstern suggestion seems pretty good too.

There are some pretty good ideas floated so far by the guys. Whatever you call it, I'll be downloading it :thumbup: