My project

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What are you hoping to accomplish, in constructing a firecracker-thrower?

He's a teenager. He doesn't have to think of a reason to construct a device to shoot explosives. :p

EDIT:
Well, other then "I Think It's COOL". :p

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Famous last words by many thousands of teenagers.

Rocketry is about chemical reactions and collateral physical effects (like a shockwave).

The trick of safety is not to be part of the reaction (burns) and to be away from the shockwave.

I am sure he will find a way not to be exposed to be part of the reaction.:speakcool:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. By the way, the reason I am building this is because I want to work on building things and using this as prior example to help build more complex launchers. It is also fun building things. Its kind of my new hobby. Later on I want to build model rockets step-by-step. Oh yeah, the wood glue on the dowel to hold the washer didn't stick so I used epoxy that I got from my friend. It works really good!

My only question about this project is - WHY?

What are you hoping to accomplish, in constructing a firecracker-thrower?

I'll consider any answer except "I Think It's COOL"...

This is being ignorant. You could say that for everything. Why are you posting here? Because you want to. I want to build this launcher. This is the epitamy of whats to some in my future of building. Everybody starts at the bottom. You have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
By the way, the reason I am building this is because I want to work on building things and using this as prior example to help build more complex launchers.
This is being ignorant. You could say that for everything. Why are you posting here? Because you want to.

Yes, it's ignorant - I seek understanding of your motivation.

Many people ask me why I build rockets. Quite aside from the 'fun' aspect, I can say that it's helping me learn physics, mechanical engineering, structural engineering, electronic design, construction techniques, and even chemistry.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. I was sure of it that someone was going to agree. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

By the way, does anyone know any ideas of intricate designs? Rockets or launchers would be fine.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
How much would it cost to make a model rocket about 2 ft in length?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How much would it cost to make a model rocket about 2 ft in length?

Depends on what materials and motors you use. Look around, and make estimates.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
How hard is it to actually construct one? Can you recommend me a book or something to get the hang of it and actually know what I am doing when I am building it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How hard is it to actually construct one? Can you recommend me a book or something to get the hang of it and actually know what I am doing when I am building it?

1. Forget books. They come second, after you learned the basics.
2. Better join an amateur rocketry club. It is "easy" to find one, if not ask the orbiter forum, there are enough insiders here.
3. Get in contact, join a group in your region, learn the basic stuff from persons who not only know how, but also have the experience behind it. A book can't teach you what you can learn that way.
4. After building a few small rockets or working on a large rocket with more experienced people, consider buying a good book and learn how to make your own and fill the gaps, which the knowledge of the other people had not been able to fill.

PS: For building a 2 ft/61 cm rocket, you don't need much, you can buy such kits in online shops (for example the infamous ESTES kits), you just need to be over 18. Using finished kits and reliable mass produced motors is better for the start than loosing one or more hands by making your own rocket motors. But I still recommend you to join a rocket club, not only for assistance in building a rocket, but also for the fun. Launching with friends is far better than standing alone on an empty field.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. Hopefully I can find a group to join. I got a couple other friends interested in this so if I can't find one I'll make one and get help from an experienced person.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Many people ask me why I build rockets. Quite aside from the 'fun' aspect, I can say that it's helping me learn physics, mechanical engineering, structural engineering, electronic design, construction techniques, and even chemistry.

So, how much more physics can you do now? :p

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Visit your local Hobby Lobby (or whatever hobby store you have in your area) and browse the model rocketry section for Estes kits.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Visit your local Hobby Lobby (or whatever hobby store you have in your area) and browse the model rocketry section for Estes kits.
Yeah, me and my friend had an experience with a rocket we bought there. Second stage disappeared from site and we lost contact. :rofl:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yeah, me and my friend had an experience with a rocket we bought there. Second stage disappeared from site and we lost contact. :rofl:
I've had good luck with a few of them, including one which was an uncontrolled glider to get down (looked like the Shuttle).

At one point, though, I found an old kit (c. 1980s) that my older brother had never used, so I put it together. When I fit-tested the O-ring which joins the engine/tailfin section to the body, it fit so snugly that I was unable to get it back off, so I figured that I didn't need to glue it.

Turns out that the glue also serves an insulating purpose...when I launched the rocket, the O-ring melted and the tail/engines separated from the body. The recovery wadding also shot through the parachute, leaving two charred holes in the chute.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Ha ha. Our chute almost got ripped up too. Then it landed behind a barbed wire fence and we ran out to get it in this field with snakes and what not. Exciting.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
So, how much more physics can you do now? :p

Not much... but my experience with structures and electronics is improving... :lol:

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

A kit will cost you about thirty dollars, and comes with instructions for building. It's not difficult, but it will take a little time... mainly waiting for glue to cure and paint to dry.

For books, you might want to look at 'The Handbook of Model Rocketry' by G. Harry Stine - it's still THE book for beginners. There's also 'Model Rocket Design and Construction' which is available from Apogee Rockets.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. I look forward to designing one and posting a video on here.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Just be careful... remember that safety is the Number One Priority when it comes to flying rockets.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score