My new computer

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
I ordered my new computer components today from a local pc shop, waiting for the call to comfirm the price and tell me whether i can afford to upgrade or cant afford to do anything than downgrade, here are the current specs and if anything is upgraded, il mention it here:

intel quad 3.0Ghz
Nvidia Midrange card (thats what i asked him to get, up to him to decide whats best :p )
2GB RAM (upgradable if price allows)
250GB HDD
XP os
Standard (non gaming) case

think thats it

Update:

Got a price back, 349.99, gonna try n see if i can squeeze a 4GB RAM for 400
You guys think this is a good gaming setup?

:cheers:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
"You guys think this is a good gaming setup?". Not really. For orbiter it should be fine. For most new games you'll find it lacks punch (though if you are buying at budget levels you should expect that).

Why get XP as the OS rather than 7?
Get 4G RAM.
What HDD is it? 10krpm or 7k? That'll vastly affect your loading times. 250GB is also quite small these days. You'll find that if you play a lot of games you'll fill this up in no time. What Speed is the RAM?

guitarist473

Reaction score
I prefer XP to 7 or vista.
I was thinking 4GB but its abit too much.
HDD im not too sure, and i dont play that many games :/ 250GB will be fine for my memory needs.
Im not sure on the RAM speed, once i save up enough il buy a RAM upgrade to 4GB.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If you plan on upgrading the RAM later on, then you will need to know what the motherboard capability is. Many motherboards have slots for 4 sticks of RAM, but some of the cheaper ones only have slots for two.

You may find that this PC comes with 2 RAM slots and has 2x1GB RAM sticks in it. When you come to upgrade, there may be nowhere to put any more so you'll have to buy 4G of RAM rather than just an additional two. This is what I would expect.

You may find it nicer and have 4 slots on the motherboard or have only 1x2GB RAM stick in there (unlikely) when you buy it.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Oh yeah, XP is only 32bit (64bit XP never really caught on) so you'll be limited to just under 4Gig anyway.
3Gig should be fine, but you may find it a bit puny in a few years.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You might want to consider 2 x 250GB hard drives configured in a RAID1 array. Not only does it increase read performance it'll add redundancy in the case of a hard drive failure. it's not a substitute for a backup but it does offer hardware failure protection.

guitarist473

Reaction score
2TB external harddrive...

Maybe for xmas, but this is literally teh last money i get off my parents for ever.

[Prepare for life story]

Because im turning 16 in 5 months i basicly get spoilt rotten for xmas and b-day but then i have to get job, pay for food, pay rent blah blah blah.

With me getting a motorbike for my 16 bday...
(NOT A MOPED, i hate those things, a 50cc MotorBIKE before anyone finds it clever to correct me, like all my friends :( )

...I think the next bit of money i see apart from the motorbike and my new pc will be when im an employee somewhere...
(not easy in englands current job marketing and economic status)

But an exteral harddrive that size would suffice rather tham me spending 90 quid on a 500GB internal HDD.

Thanks for the advices :)

:cheers: