Problem My MFD Screens are not displaying.

PLM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am fairly new to Orbiter, and am having major problems with the MFD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can see the buttons arround the sides and bottom, and can click them to successfully select modes (through trial and error) and do atlantis auto-launches, etc., and the power buttons serve to hide and display these other buttons. However, the central screen isn't there. It just shows whatever is behind where it should be (e.g. stars). I have never had it visible, although I have tried various configurations of settings. I don't really know what might be relevant, so my complete current settings are as follows:

---Parameters---

Realism
Complex flight model OFF
Damage and failiure simulation ON
Limited fuel ON
Auto-refuel on pad OFF

Pertubations
All OFF

Instruments and Panels
Transparent glass cockpit MFD ON
MFD refresh [sec] 0.25
Generic MFD size 6
Panel scale 1.00
Panel scroll speed 30

Window Focus Mode
Focus follows mouse OFF

Stars
I assume aren't relevant, but will list if it may be a factor.

---Visual Effects---

Planetary Effects
All OFF
Night light level 0.50
Max. resolution level 14

General Effects
Particle Streams ON
Rest OFF
Ambient light level 10

Celestrial Sphere
Background <none>
Intensity 0.50

---Modules---

Meshdebug OFF
-
Track IR OFF
-
Custom MFD ON
Lua MFD ON
transx ON
-
Orbiter Sound ON
-
Lua Console ON
Scrift MFD ON
-
All tools and dialogs OFF

---Video---

3D device
RGB Emulation
Always emunerate devices OFF
Try stencil buffer OFF

Screen
Full screen
Screen resolution 1024 x 768
Color depth 16
Disable verticle sync. OFF
Disable hardware pageflip OFF

---Joystick---

Joystick Device
<Disabled>

-----------------------------

Many thanks for reading, and I look forward to any help you can give on this.

Yours,
PLM

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
F8... What vehicle are you flying in?

PLM

Reaction score
In case this helps the diognosis; I have now downloaded and activated the modules 'InterMFD53' and 'LunarTransferMFD', but these don't display on the central screen either, although the buttons do work.

Thanks again,
PLM

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Press F8, again, what vehicle are you in? Can you see the inside of a DeltaGlider? Are all your graphics drivers up to date?

PLM

Reaction score
Sorry, it was my second post so it had to be moderated. I posted it before your reply; it just took a while to show up.

I am in a bit of everything, but mostly Apollo (AMSO). I can sell all 3 types of view in a DG by pressing F8. To be honest I don't know what drivers I have, but the frame rate seems generally quite slow.

PLM

Reaction score
Hi again,
I just tried out the dragonfly, and although in the generic view the MFDs don't display properly, in the cockpit mode the MFD does work fully.

Thanks,
PLM

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Can you get the MFD screens to show with any combination of these:
  • window / fullscreen mode
  • 16-bit / 32-bit colour depth modes
  • orbiter / orbiter_ng + D3D7 client / orbiter_ng + D3D9 client
  • different cockpit modes (F8)
  • different vessels
What graphics hardware do you have?

PLM

Reaction score
Yes, I have managed to get it to show in cockpit mode. I'll try the rest of your suggestions now. Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Wishbone, sorry this didn't send earlier.

My previous reply was subject to moderation as it was only my second post.

I am flying a bit of everything but mostly the AMSO Apollo stuff. I can view 3 different views in the DG by pressing F8, including the one where my MFDs are. I don't honestly know much about my video drivers, but the frame rate seems quite slow sometimes.

Thanks,
PLM

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Martins,

Thanks for your reply. In order, this is the answer:

I was already using fullscreen.
32 Bit colour doesn't help.
Please explain how to try the different orbiter / orbiter_ng + D3D7 client / orbiter_ng + D3D9 client.
As I have already said, it works in the Delta Glider and Dragonfly cockpit modes.
All vessels are the same in that view mode.

Thanks again,
PLM

Keatah

Reaction score
Enumerate - on
RGB Emulation? Try something else here..

PLM

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Keatah, but my only option in RGB emulation and switching enumerate on didn't make any difference.

Thanks all the same,
PLM

Keatah

Reaction score
It would seem that orbiter is not seeing your graphics card. IT seems to be in software rendering mode right now.

Try with enumerate on, exit out of orbiter and then come back and see if there are more options like Direct 3D HAL or something specific to your graphics card.

Are you using 2010-p1 version?

PLM

Reaction score
Have done that, and no more options are available. Yes, I only downloaded it a few days ago. I think the graphics is on board rather than a stand alone graphics card, could that be it?

PLM

Keatah

Reaction score
I run orbiter on built-in graphics on an older laptop from time to time, it has intel 82855gm Extreme Graphics, about the worst thing for any application. And I get good framerates most of the time. This is a 2004 laptop. So, I don't think that's the problem.

What is your graphics chip, memory, and cpu. What version of drivers you running?

PLM

Reaction score
I'm really not a computer person. Please tell me how to find out that information.

PLM

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

This might be it, I'm not really sure.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E220 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz, 768 MB of Ram Physical Address Extension

Keatah

Reaction score
try
My computer>Properties>Hardware>device manager>display adapters

PLM

Reaction score
That gives me:
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

But the icon has an exclamation mark on it.

PLM

Keatah

Reaction score
Ok, then you have a video card driver problem. That explains why orbiter isn't seeing the full capabilities of your graphics chip. I'm going to assume you have something more than a 1990's era graphics chip. And that it has capabilities not being used.

Can you tell us anything more about the chip? any more information with right clicks?? Probably not. But we need to know the graphics card, and who makes it and what model, that sort of thing.

If this was my system, I'd get on the hoot'n'holler with the mfg. of the system and get yourself a graphics driver going!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Keetah is right. You do not have a graphics driver that is made for your graphics chip.
A proper driver is very important for many things and may greatly enhance your computing experience.

We can help you identify your graphics chip and suggest the proper driver.
Please right click on "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" and select properties. Then go to the tab called details. Select "Hardware Ids" and copy the first line (via right click). It should look something like this: "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9712&SUBSYS_04891025&REV_00"

The VEN number is unique to a single manufacturer and the DEV number to a specific device that manufacturer produces. Often googling those parts will reveal what device you have. Then going to the manufacturers website should allow you to obtain the right up to date driver.

PLM

Reaction score
Well it seems you have finally got to the bottom of it for me. Many thank with all your help and I'll hopefully fix it very shortly.

PLM