Problem multistage as payload or attachment

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
On my recent addon in progress I've been using Sputnik's Velcro rockets and attaching stage 1 to the airplane as an attachment, and then creating the second stage, payload, and boosters in the scn file.

After playing with the Spacecraft3 ini file last night, I had a head slapping moment and finally remembered that attachments don't add weight to what they're attached to. :facepalm:

Initially I tried to do this arrangement with SC3 and Multistage2 thinking that attaching the rocket/payload platform as a payload via SC3 would be the way to do this. The obstacle I encountered there was having to create the payload within the SC3 ini file (not a problem) and then spawn a working multistage upon jettison. Before bailing, all I accomplish was having everything except the first stage disappear upon jettison.

Is it possible to attach a multistage platform (that actually works) using any of the tools we have EXCEPT creating a custom dll? Sputnik's "Skybolt v1.0" is the closest example I've seen, except that the CVEL Vulcan (by dh219) has its own dll, so I'm beginning to suspect that C++ programming might be the only way to pull this off. I'd really like to use Velcro Rockets if at all possible.

What I really need here is to get the airplane to reflect the weight and drag of the payload it's attempting to carry. I'm ready to call this an interesting and fruitless experiment, but thought one of you API and/or SDK deities might be able to help.

----additional post

I think what I'm trying to do is probably possible with Multistage2, though I was hoping to go another route. I think if I create the mesh dummy multistage stack and payload in my ini file and have the "module" entry pull up a multistage config file upon separation will basically do what I'm attempting. Unfortunately, "payload" only allows 5 meshes so I'll have to rethink the configuration I've been using with Velcro.

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Still hitting proverbial brick walls with this.

Creating the "dummy" platform in the SC3 ini file works fine, and adds weight and changes the behavior of the airplane:

Code:
[PAYLOAD_0]
MESHNAME=ztc-Castor120-S1;ztc-C120-Coupler;Icarus
NAME=Castor-Icarus
OFF=(0.0,-4.3,1.625);(0.0,-4.3,10.0);(0,-4.0,20.0)
MASS=140982
MODULE=Castor-Icarus
SPEED=(0,-5,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)

The Multistage2 ini file works fine by itself as well. In other words, when I create a scenario file everything both looks and works fine. I've create a mesh of a Castor120 with 3 attached Castor4B boosters to deal with the 5 mesh limitation of multistage2. Here's the Castor-Icarus.ini file:

Code:
[TEXTURE_LIST]
TEX_1=Exhaust_atsme
TEX_2=Exhaust2

[BOOSTER_1]
N=3
MeshName="ztc-CastorIVB"
Height=9.2
Diameter=1.02 
EmptyMass=1513
FuelMass=9969
Thrust=429000
angle=0.
off=(1.3,1.0,-0.9)  
BurnTime=61.
ENG_TEX=Exhaust2
ENG_PSTREAM1=exhaust
ENG_PSTREAM2=contrail

[STAGE_1]
Height=9.02
angle=90
Diameter=2.36
EmptyMass=4086
FuelMass=49032
Thrust=1650000
BurnTime=81
MeshName=ztc-Castor120
off=((0.0,0.0,0.0)
ENG_1=(0.0,0.0,-4.5) 
ENG_DIAMETER=1.6
SPEED=(0,0,-10)
ENG_TEX=Exhaust2
ENG_PSTREAM1=exhaust
ENG_PSTREAM2=contrail

[STAGE_2]
Height=14.8
angle=90
Diameter=2.36
EmptyMass=4086
FuelMass=49032
Thrust=1650000
BurnTime=81
MeshName=ztc-C120-Coupler
off=(0.0,0.0,12.0)
ENG_1=(0.0,0.0,-4.5) 
ENG_DIAMETER=1.6
SPEED=(0,0,-10)
ENG_TEX=Exhaust2
ENG_PSTREAM1=exhaust
ENG_PSTREAM2=contrail

[PAYLOAD_1]
off=(0.0,0.5,22.5)
MASS=7490
MeshName=Icarus
Name=Icarus
Module=Spacecraft\Spacecraft3
Diameter=4.5
SPEED=(0,0,1)
RENDER=1

But when I jettison the platform, the meshes disappear and there is no fuel (or subsequent control) when switching to cockpit view.

Am I overlooking something really simple?

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Code:
[PAYLOAD_0]
NAME=Castor-Icarus
MASS=140982
MODULE=Castor-Icarus
SPEED=(0,-5,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)

I never manage to make it work more item in one payload.
Use 3 payload in config instead one with 3 item.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I never manage to make it work more item in one payload.
Use 3 payload in config instead one with 3 item.

I don't think it's the payload in config, but rather the module payload is calling on jettison. The module in this case is "Module = Castor-Icarus", and is located in my Config\Multistage dir (pointed at by a Castor-Icarus.cfg).

Hopefully the attached pics illustrate my problem better than I'm explaining it.

The first is of the Daedalus with the Icarus launch platform attached. The Icarus launch platform is a dummy mesh set defined by the Payload defs in the Daedalus.ini. As the pic indicates, this is working fine.

The second pic is the Icarus launch platform as created by the Castor-Icarus.ini file (the code in my second post here). No problem with the multistage ini.

The last pic is what happens when I hit "J" while flying the Daedalus. Note in the upper left corner the Target is "Castor-Icarus" and the invisible and unfueled assembly is about 100 m below the airplane.

The problem really seems to be calling up a multistage config for a jettisoned payload. There's got to be a fix for this, and I'm wondering if some of the CVEL and Velcro rocket configs might be the clue.

I don't think it's a .dll issue, either. After doing extensive searches on this site, I've reinstalled Multistage2, Spacecraft3, Stage, msvcr71.dll, and msvcp71.dll to make sure none of these were the problem. I'm having the exact same thing happen even after reinstalling all.

Attachments

• payload dummy meshes.JPG
    payload dummy meshes.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 24
  • multistage meshes.JPG
    multistage meshes.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 22
  • invisible meshes.JPG
    invisible meshes.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Don't know is this a case,spacecraft3 can not have mutlistage for payload if you trying to do that.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Code:
[PAYLOAD_0]
NAME=Castor-Icarus
MASS=140982
MODULE=Castor-Icarus
SPEED=(0,-5,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)

Did not see 1st time,module is:

[PAYLOAD_0]
MODULE=spacecraft\Spacecraft3

If you use SC3 ini config for vehicle.

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thank you Liber and Sputnik.

Both pieces of advice you guys sent me today look like they'll work! I love the dilemma being having to choose which way to go.

When I get this working, I'll post the results here so hopefully if someone else wants to try something similar they'll have some easier answers.