Internet Moonlight Mile - Awesome hard scifi series

Ark

Reaction score
Anybody else ever watch this? It's a two-season anime series about a pair of mountain climbing adventurers who finish climbing Everest only to decide that the logical next goal in their lives is to walk on the Moon. They both take different paths to pursue that goal, with one becoming a construction worker and eventually transferring into the new International Space Association, and the other becoming a Navy flier and getting recruited into the USAF's secret space wing.

It's a lot like a prequel to Planetes. The technology is realistic and most of the science and physics is sound. The ISS is portrayed as being much larger and more developed than it turned out. I'm not finished with the series yet, but so far there's been enough shuttle launches, spaceplanes, secret military space stations, updated Cold War-esque space races, and gratuitous pointless nudity to make any Orbiter fan happy.

Really, the least believable part of it is the USAF secretly building a station in geosync that would have taken 100+ Shuttle launches. :lol:

English audio available for the first season, but subtitle-only for the second.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds neat if it's anything like Planetes. I'll stick it somewhere in the 'must watch' list... :rolleyes:

How is the dub, anyway? I usually go straight for original audio, since English dubs often butcher the show...

Ark

Reaction score
Sounds neat if it's anything like Planetes. I'll stick it somewhere in the 'must watch' list... :rolleyes:

How is the dub, anyway? I usually go straight for original audio, since English dubs often butcher the show...

They were okay, but the dubs are only for the first season, so you decide if it's worth the trouble.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Sounds interesting. Is it on the web anywhere?

I found the first season, with dubs, here:

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/index.php?s=moonlight+mile

They're all Megavideo links, which means you can watch about three and a half episodes before you hit their limit and have to wait another half hour.

Here's the second season, subtitled and all available for direct download. I prefer it to the Megavideo links.

http://anime.fansub.tv/episodes.php/1730/Moonlight_Mile_2nd_Season:_Touchdown/

I don't even know if the second season ever saw full licensing for US distribution, that may explain the lack of dual audio. Information about the series in general is kind of scarce, which is unfortunate because it's an endless nerd buffet for hard sci-fi fans. I used to really dislike anime, but Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, and this series really changed my mind.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
They were okay, but the dubs are only for the first season, so you decide if it's worth the trouble.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I found the first season, with dubs, here:

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/index.php?s=moonlight+mile

They're all Megavideo links, which means you can watch about three and a half episodes before you hit their limit and have to wait another half hour.

Here's the second season, subtitled and all available for direct download. I prefer it to the Megavideo links.

http://anime.fansub.tv/episodes.php/1730/Moonlight_Mile_2nd_Season:_Touchdown/

I don't even know if the second season ever saw full licensing for US distribution, that may explain the lack of dual audio. Information about the series in general is kind of scarce, which is unfortunate because it's an endless nerd buffet for hard sci-fi fans. I used to really dislike anime, but Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, and this series really changed my mind.

Thanks! Im not a huge fan of anime either but similar shows have changed my mind. But certain shows still bug me. I'll be watching these soon.

Ark

Reaction score
Finally found some screenies:

1108h.jpg

355161.jpg

1108k.jpg

1108r.jpg

1108s.jpg

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I know. Actually that sounds like a fun competition. Who can get there the fastest in one push lol.

Ark

Reaction score
You know they would try and float from one side of the station to the other, with one push an not touching anything else all the way to the other side.

They get up to much more, uh, scandalous things than that. :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used to really dislike anime, but Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, and this series really changed my mind.
Heh. I've seen far more anime than I ever needed to. There are a few good ones, a lot of bad ones, and some awful :sick: ones. Sturgeon's Law applies liberally to the genre.
You know they would try and float from one side of the station to the other, with one push an not touching anything else all the way to the other side.
Heh, they did that in Red Mars on the Ares. Sounds like a fun challenge. :)
They get up to much more, uh, scandalous things than that. :lol:
Heh, they did that on the Ares too. :rofl:

Those screenshots look pretty spiffy. I'll have to bump this one up to right behind Blade Runner, which I'm seeing tomorrow. :)

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
another manga that have a space theme (that I know of) is Passport Blue, which tells a story of a boy who as a child watched the H-II launched from Tanegashima and dreamt about going to space with that rocket, and eventually will work with a private space agency and be the first man on Mars.