Idea Mir Idea

Yuri_Gagarin

Reaction score
we could make the mir space station in the stock game interactive. Like you can see the interior and do stuff inside the mir.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
we could make the mir space station in the stock game interactive. Like you can see the interior and do stuff inside the mir.

Sounds good, when are you starting? :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Im not. Its just an idea. (if its in the wrong section i do apologise.)

As you wrote "we could make", I was pretty sure, you are talking about you and some friend. You at least didn't ask me yet. (I would only do Mir in a SSU context. )

And its really up to you: Let it just be an idea thats about to be forgotten soon.

Or make it reality. What is stopping you from working hard towards making it real?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well to make an interior you would need a interior mesh. I don't think ISS has one yet.

Not sure what you want others to do or help to make?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think ISS has one yet.

He was talking about Mir.

Anyway, since we are in addon requests and it is fun to fantasize about work other people should do, what about *we* create a passenger simulator where you can control your view FPS-like inside any spacecraft? Then addon devs can "just" create interior meshes for their work and thus become "walkable".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
He was talking about Mir.

Anyway, since we are in addon requests and it is fun to fantasize about work other people should do, what about *we* create a passenger simulator where you can control your view FPS-like inside any spacecraft? Then addon devs can "just" create interior meshes for their work and thus become "walkable".

Well, defining the collision geometry might be a bit complex, since it makes no sense to use the visual geometry.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, defining the collision geometry might be a bit complex, since it makes no sense to use the visual geometry.

Sure. But just a collision-free floating simulator would already be cool. Perhaps add some simple format to define collision geometry for various vessels classes, like e.g. cuboids, cylinders, spheres with simple add-merge combination.
Then add action areas like in UMmu, and you have a nice interactive package.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sure. But just a collision-free floating simulator would already be cool. Perhaps add some simple format to define collision geometry for various vessels classes, like e.g. cuboids, cylinders, spheres with simple add-merge combination.
Then add action areas like in UMmu, and you have a nice interactive package.

Sure, but again, it requires some idea how to get this information into the module. C++ API? Data files? Other meshes?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know he was talking about the MIR. I think if it had an interior and then just set up Camera like I did on the Endurance.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sure, but again, it requires some idea how to get this information into the module. C++ API? Data files? Other meshes?

I'd say a simple text format, so end users can define them on their own. Let's say *.col files with * being the same name as the vessel class, consisting of lines that begin with the geometry primitive name BLOCK/CYLINDER/SPHERE, followed by space separated dimension values. The addon would let you use WASD to move the cam, and if you are not inside one of the defined primitives anymore, you would be teleported back to the nearest point inside it.

Thorsten

Reaction score

It's actually not that hard to do the full shbang - I have an abstract interior description of the Shuttle flightdeck for the simulation of floating objects, and that works decently most of the time even for the comparatively small manual.

Basically it's a factorized parametrization using first order splines (lines connecting control points).

For a person floating around, the collision geometry can be quite a bit more simple assuming that person would always keep a reasonable distance to walls etc.

Also the collision physics is reasonably easy to do in a plausible way.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
This is a request thread so why all the noise ?
It's a perfectly valid sugestion! I too would like to have a Mir VC and a updated stock model.

I don't have the time to build the VC mesh, but I can help by giving permission to use my Zvezda VC: [ame="https://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6083"]Zvezda Virtual Cockpit[/ame]

turtle91

Reaction score
We have already a module-pack, where one could move around within the modules:
"https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5744"

But it's for Orbiter 2010, so not sure if it runs in Orbiter 2016.

For "doing things" we have(refill/repair) (for Orbiter 2010, too):
"https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6522"