Error Mesh Wizard COMCTL32.OCX error

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For ar81 or anyone who knows:

When I try to start Mesh Wizard 19B I get the COMCTL32.OCX error, which says it isn't registered properly.

Given that the filename has a "32" in it and I am using my new 64-bit Vista machine, I suspect that maybe Mesh Wizard has a compatability problem, but I can't be sure.

So I am asking if anyone knows a fix for this. I really need Mesh Wizard for add-ons; if I can't get it to work in this machine I'll have to run it on my other machine and transfer the finished files back to the laptop to finish work.

Nighthawke

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For ar81 or anyone who knows:

When I try to start Mesh Wizard 19B I get the COMCTL32.OCX error, which says it isn't registered properly.

I get the same error. With ar81's Surface Base Wizard as well. I also am on Vista x64. Would be nice to find a work around. I have a lot of surface tiles I would like to convert to bases and SBW looks like it would save some time if it could be updated to work with 64-bit.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have gotten this error using Vista. Not sure if it a 32 or 64 bit. I have Meshwizard on a XP machine.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
32 bit apps should run on 64 bit hardware. it'll use a processes called WOWEXEC32.

Does the machine in question have the COMCTL32.OCX file in the %systemroot% directory?

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
32 bit apps should run on 64 bit hardware. it'll use a processes called WOWEXEC32.

Does the machine in question have the COMCTL32.OCX file in the %systemroot% directory?

I don't know where that directory is. Can you give a full path?

I did find a COMCTL32.DLL file in the Windows directory, but not the OCX file, which is in the directory with Mesh Wizard.

BTW, my computer went BSOD as I first tried to respond to this post, but that System Restore feature saved me!

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I haven't tested it with Vista. I am unable to be of too much help.
The OCX file may be downloaded from internet. Didn't I include it in the main package?

If the OCX file is there, but it is not registered, normally double clicking it may work, given that language is US english (decimal symbol is a dot). It works for XP, but not sure if it may work with Vista.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Find out by going to a command window and typing echo %systemroot%

or by clicking on start -> run and typing in %systemroot% and hitting end.

The reason I said %systemroot% is simply because it can vary from machine to machine depending on who installed the operating system. the variable %systemroot% will always work, though.

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 ----------

I did find a COMCTL32.DLL file in the Windows directory, but not the OCX file, which is in the directory with Mesh Wizard.
Not at all the same. The OCX is visual basic file and required by mesh wizard.

BTW, my computer went BSOD as I first tried to respond to this post, but that System Restore feature saved me!

Not good. Vista is normally very stable so that would concern me.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not good. Vista is normally very stable so that would concern me.

It was right after downloading and installing an update, and I was looking in my folders to answer your post. My phone rang, I went to answer it, and I heard my speakers make the popping noise as the machine was trying to auto restart itself. Obviously something went wrong...but System Restore saved my bacon, for now at least.

I haven't figured out how to bring up a DOS-style command window in Vista, yet, but I did search for %systemroot% in the "run" window and it sent me to the Windows folder.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would be something simple like that...thanks. I'll see what I can do with this.

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

If the OCX file is there, but it is not registered, normally double clicking it may work, given that language is US english (decimal symbol is a dot). It works for XP, but not sure if it may work with Vista.

The file is there, but when I doubleclick it, I get the prompt asking me which program I want to open it with. Do I lack some Visual BASIC component or something?

fort

Reaction score
When I used Mesh Wizard some time ago, I had some difficulty understanding how one had to install the OCX on my machine ( equipped with XP SP1 ). And the instruction given by ar81, indicating that one had simply double click on the OCX file itself (OCX file placed in the Mesh Wizard folder) produced no effect ( same as you Andy44, I get the prompt asking me which program I want to open it with ).

I did a search on the internet and found this:

- Copy (or move, on my system, I made a copy) COMCTL32.OCX in Windows/Système32 folder.

- Open Explorer ( make the Explorer focus on... ) on the Windows/Système32 folder (which also contains, in my installation, a regsvr32.exe ). Or open Explorer ( make the Explorer focus on...) on the mesh Wizard folder if you kept a copy of COMCTL32.OCX in it.

- Start/Run/regsvr32 COMCTL32.OCX ( normally if all is good a small window opens saying that the registration was successful).

But it's with XP. Does that works with vista ?

"...given that language is US english (decimal symbol is a dot)..." ar81.

I have this idea that at that time of the registration of COMCTL32.OCX this is perhaps not important. I use a system that is not in U.S English language and even if i change the setting for U.S English language ( with the small utility UE2US.exe ) before making a double clicking on COMCTL32.OCX, it changes nothing ( once more, I get the prompt asking me which program....) .

Of course, later, to use Mesh Wizard, I need to run EU2US.

Last edited:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The file is there, but when I doubleclick it, I get the prompt asking me which program I want to open it with. Do I lack some Visual BASIC component or something?

Are you sure your regional settings are US and decimal symbol is dot?
I saw a case where it happened and it was just a matter of changing regional settings. But it was with XP. Not sure if it works with Vista. I have not used Vista. In either case it is a Vista vs XP compatibility problem, not really a Mesh Wizard problem.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, all settings are US. It's an HP, built and shipped in the US to a US customer, all kosher.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Yes, all settings are US. It's an HP, built and shipped in the US to a US customer, all kosher.
Did you do: "Start/Run/regsvr32 COMCTL32.OCX" as suggested above? I've done some googling around and some suggested that you needed to be logged in as Administrator for that to work correctly.

Some other info I saw suggested unregistering the file and then re-registering it. To unregister: "Start/Run/regsvr32 /u COMCTL32.OCX".

Disclaimer: The above are valid commands but I am not in a position to test them to see if they get Mesh Wizard working. So, yes, I am reduced to guessing at this stage :p

Nighthawke

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got it to run on Vista by running as administrator

Andy, I can confirm that this works for Mesh Wizard on my Vista x64 HP laptop. No dice, however for the Surface Base Wizard. However, I'm now getting a different error message for SBW. It now says something about an error in msvbvm50.dll, which is strange, I installed the Visual Basic 5.0 Virtual Machine on my laptop because some other programs I have required it and they work just fine.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you do: "Start/Run/regsvr32 COMCTL32.OCX" as suggested above? I've done some googling around and some suggested that you needed to be logged in as Administrator for that to work correctly.

Some other info I saw suggested unregistering the file and then re-registering it. To unregister: "Start/Run/regsvr32 /u COMCTL32.OCX".

Disclaimer: The above are valid commands but I am not in a position to test them to see if they get Mesh Wizard working. So, yes, I am reduced to guessing at this stage :p

I tried copying the file into the System32 directory and running the regsvr32 as described above, and it gives me an error telling me that the file COMCTL32.OCX may not be compatible with Vista. So no soap there.

About running as an admin, I'm not sure I know how to do that. I never had to worry about before. But now, with this new Vista system, every time I try to copy a file somewhere it tells me I need admin privs, and then a little window pops up asking me if I, as admin, would like to proceed. What gives? Am I logged in as admin or not? And how do I make it so I'm always an admin?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
In a nutshell, unlike XP, Vista does not run normally regular programs (such as a Web browser, Windows Explorer, or a Command Prompt) with administrator access. By default, Vista has UAC ("User Account Control") enabled as a security feature designed to protect the operating system files and directories from unauthorized access (e.g., from trojans and such). Although UAC may be disabled, Microsoft does not recommend that because it makes your system more vulnerable to trojans and viruses. Details on UAC here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

If you still decide you want to disable UAC anyway (not recommended), instructions are here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/58b3b879-924d-4e08-9358-c316055d3eae1033.mspx

fort

Reaction score
If you can you log in vista as administrator there may be this opportunity seen on a forum which could avoid disabling the UAC ( if the problem is also a problem of UAC ).

" Vista seems to accept the OCX registration in the registry (by running" regsvr32 my.OCX ") but he can not use them when they are called by launching the program ( "Error 339: the component "my.OCX" or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or incorrect ..").

After some days of testing I found some tracks.

Logged in as Administrator one has not the opportunity for direct manipulation as the registration of ocx. One must also specify that one do this action as an administrator.

So I created a shortcut for regsvr32.exe. I've edited the shortcut and added the path of the OCX file that I wanted to save.

It should give something like:
c: \ windows \ system32 \ regsvr32.exe c: \ windows \ system32 \ my.ocx.

One must then right click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator ". And then a miracle it works!

Before the manipulation i had the message : "error 339 ...". Now I can start my application. However it uses only 2 OCX files.

Another manipulation is to disable vista UAC but I have not tried. "