Poll Men: would you carry a pregnancy? Women: would you want your man to?

Would you as a man carry a pregnancy or allow your man to?

• To men: yes.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • To men: no.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • To women: yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To women: no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
There was a news report Friday that a woman with a transplanted uterus gave birth. There arises the question could a man with a transplanted uterus carry a pregnancy, with a Cesarean delivery?

This fertility expert says yes:

Womb ops mean that men 'could get pregnant tomorrow' as top surgeon claims 'there is no scientific reason why it would not happen'
Successful womb transplants into women could be extended to men
Surgeons believe the same technology could allow men to carry a baby
Dr Richard Paulson said there was 'no scientific reason for it not to happen'
An international agreement only allows womb transplants in women
By Colin Fernandez for the Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 18:34 EST, 3 November 2017 | UPDATED: 20:36 EST, 3 November 2017
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5048461/Men-pregnant-tomorrow-womb-transplants.html

So a poll question to men, would you carry a pregnancy if you could get the transplanted uterus? To women, would you want your man to carry a pregnancy?

Bob Clark

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As a father of five, soon to be six, I would absolutely love to discover and experience pregnancy from the other side. Being able to feel the baby as a part of yourself is something I can't experience as a father.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have the same subjective opinion there as my girlfriend, after two children: No. Not again. Even if everything went much better with the second child, its no fun. You are not just experiencing the good things, you will also get all the bad things. From sickness to carrying a lot of weight off your reference CoG. And a caesarean is no harmless surgery, there is a lot that can go wrong.

Also, I doubt any artificial womb could cause the same hormonal chaos that a pregnancy causes in women... it would either be far less or far more chaos. And also I am not sure if men are really that easily capable of pregnancy - did you ever see how much the organs of a women have to move during pregnancy to make space? It takes a bit more than just a single organ for that endeavour. Its an extremely complicated and resource hungry process

Would it be more fair if men could carry children? Sure. Absolutely. In a society where men have to be the better women and women have to be the better men. But I would never expect my dentist to be the better car mechanic - it makes no sense. And I doubt it would be more than a risky publicity stunt should a man become pregnant.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not voting on the poll, since my answer would be no, but not because of the reasons the poll is probably meant for.
I struggle with the two kids I have, and the perspective of getting a third one is horrifying, no matter whether I would carry it out or my wife.
Plus, this is not a stunt you'd want to pull when you're approaching fourty.

On purely "ideological" grounds, the answer would be "yes, if the technology is mature, proven and no more problematic than an ordinary pregnancy, and family circumstances make it more practical for the man to be tied down rather than the woman".

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm afraid that kids would cut too much into my Orbiter time...

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a poll to see if women would consider doing sewage work or working on a trawler deck. :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm still waiting for a poll to see if women would consider doing sewage work or working on a trawler deck. :lol:

From general life experience, the women I know probably have a similar hit rate as the men in terms of employment like that. In general, I've found that women seem more willing to do jobs perceived as masculine than men are to do jobs perceived as feminine.

That, of course, is a whole other thread :p

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I think such a poll here will not make much sense. On the one hand there are not so many girls on O-F, and on the other hand those who are interested in space technology tend to not shy away from hard work.

On the topic itself, I voted yes, because being a father of three I would have found it interesting to experience this miracle of life from the point of view of the mother. Of course, if you combine it with the question if I would want another kid, I'd vote no. Simply because I can't afford another one, that is.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
A scenario where it might be beneficial is if the husband is the primary homemaker and the wife the breadwinner.

If she has say a six figure executive salary she may not want to leave her executive position for a couple of months. Since the husband is the homemaker anyway it would be easier for him to carry the pregnancy.

Bob Clark

Pioneer

Reaction score
No. ABSOLUTELY NOT. How exactly would a man's body be made suitable for a pregnancy? Would Caeserian be the only option on the table since men OBVIOUSLY do not have a VAGINA? How would the man produce milk to feed the newborn? It is best to keep the job to women since that is WHAT THEY WERE BIOLOGICALLY DESIGNED TO DO. Nature knows best, and tampering with the natural order of things will have great unintended consequences.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
tampering with the natural order of things will have great unintended consequences.

Such as people living for 80+ years, and even landing on the moon... :shifty: