Surface Base MarsOne Base

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not a bad little add-on! Tiny compared the Delta Glider on the pad next to the capsules. A nice idea having tracks in the dust around the various features.

I was going to comment directly via OHM, but there's no thread set up yet it seems...

richfororbit

Reaction score
There is an actual Mars one file available, I really wanted to attempt a landing on Mars where Pathfinder landed, unfortunately there isn't any crafts for it. It's all science fiction, and some other addons never worked out, not to mention no actual in depth video tutorial for a Mars landing in a particular craft and no, no scifi.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not a bad little add-on! Tiny compared the Delta Glider on the pad next to the capsules. A nice idea having tracks in the dust around the various features.

Thank you. I went off some of Mars One's publicly listed photos eg

marsone.jpg

That's why I used tracks as they had them in the pictures. Maybe in an update I will include some ladders and the rear habitats but covered with dirt.

WykC7k7.jpg

Kinda reasonable resemblance :tiphat:

I have not seen any Mars One stuff in Orbiter before but so much related to it is available in Orbiter like Falcon Heavy and other SpaceX addons.

richfororbit

Reaction score
This is what I'm on about, due to the topic name. So where is this located on Mars? I guess you just placed it somewhere.

Sadly, there is no cool craft to attempt a land on nearby the outpost.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey how about that. Several that we've mentioned before. None are really sci-fi either.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Phantom, you'd be back.

Mr Drake's module was an auto landing one.

As for the Mars Direct that never worked in my copy of the program.

As for Mars for Less, I didn't know of that one. I still wanted to land where Pathfinder landed. Still the only three of the Earth, and moon I haven't landed on yet, properly, well just about, not quite by the book, close enough.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm afraid you have me at a loss :shrug:

When you say "sci-fi" do you mean the DeltaGlider and Shuttle-A? Or do you mean any of those mentioned in post #6 of this thread? Of those, many are based on studies done by NASA and some others.

As for targeting a specific landing site, IMFD will do it, there are multiple tutorials. And there is the Base Approach which will let you hit where you're aiming. From there LOLA can bring you down.

For the moon, have you seen AMSO? Wonderful autopilot program, and the LEM landing on the surface kicking up all that dust makes for some very nice visuals. There is also the AMSO compatible "Beyond Apollo" which took the program to the next step.

As for a "realistic" craft to get you to the moon or Mars. We don't have anything "real" in the inventory right now. Not even sure if SLS can do it at the moment, not without multiple launches. And the hardware is still being developed anyway. The best bet is to go with the various design studies represented.

Delta glider

Spaceanaut
Reaction score
Well, you can get an apollo CSM on a Mars free return trajectory and use the SM engine to enter into a high elliptical orbit around Earth for a direct reentry (pretending you had a 2 man crew and the LM was made as a habitat module).

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

That is the most realistic option for todays technology-life support could be made for 1 year trip using todays tech.

richfororbit

Reaction score
I know about the SLS, I follow the developments.

Yes I am refering to all, especially the Shuttle A and glider. I just can't stand that stuff. It is easy to get into orbit, no doubt, but it doesn't help give a more appreciative understanding the challenging way.

The Mars for less, may be a possibility, as you state it is a supposed design etc

As I stated I landed once with the Spider Module, with 800 propellant left. I did a reinstall of orbiter, it was a copy I loaded off a backup cd, it's from my early months, about a year and a half ago.:rofl:

So I'll see if the freezing problem occurs again with it. I'll dodge the whole going there and back, the orbits etc

I don't want to use autopilot or an actual mission pack.

I did try out the Mars for Less prior to deleting the folder of orbiter, um, it was cylinder with a wheel cap on the top in Martian orbit. Surely using that craft there must be some sort of align the trajectory with Pathfinder's location for an attempt at a manual landing similar to the way I did it with the Module for the Moon.

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't want to use autopilot or an actual mission pack....

..there must be some sort of align the trajectory with Pathfinder's location for an attempt at a manual landing similar to the way I did it with the Module for the Moon.

I think I know what you mean - You know where Pathfinder is on Mars, and can you make it a target on the Map MFD? If so then you can display your orbital track on map MFD then orient yourself anti-normal or normal to your orbit and burn to change the plane so your track passes over the site, whilst watching the map MFD to see your track change. Then a de-orbit burn a few thousand kilometres away - watch where your track hits the planet then wait for re-entry etc. etc.

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
The only scenario in the Mars for Less has the craft at an eliptical orbit, and not a stable one.

To begin the landing to see how to go about this, the wheel cap is the heat shield, so once into the Atmosphere I undock from that piece, and fire the engine with a pitch to slow the velocity?

Unless this craft is parachuted in?

Attachments

• Mars.JPG
    Mars.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Yes I am refering to all, especially the Shuttle A and glider. I just can't stand that stuff. It is easy to get into orbit, no doubt, but it doesn't help give a more appreciative understanding the challenging way.

I would submit that the stock deltaglider and the shuttleA may not be nearly as easy to get to orbit as you may think.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Well the engines are quite powerful so they get anybody there, it just needs a bit of delicate balance of trying to create a stable orbit.

I did some search on the Mars for Less, so it was an idea by Mr Bonin. As for the landing craft I am trying to land, that was a close blue print for a real vehicle?

I actually saw a old film, the aerospace engineer is behind the mission design. So that lander is a illustrated proposal. Very interesting idea about going to Mars with a teather using a spent rocket stage to create centrifugal force.

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
I don't know if this can work out the way I've set my orbit for entry into the atmosphere. Just making sure the Map was in alignment was tiring, first it was night then day etc I've never done a landing on a path for an attempt at precision.:blink:

I'd need to do my final retro for the day light entry into the Atmosphere for a landing at Pathfinder.

The object when entering as I've done a couple of tests at doing so, obviously not at pathfinder. I need to remove that heat shield which doesn't do anything and fire the engine to slow down, at altitude?

Attachments

• Finalretrogradepath.JPG
    Finalretrogradepath.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 11

richfororbit

Reaction score
Use BaseSync or IMFD's base approach program. Much easier than using map.;)

I had read a previous post, so I just went this way with it. I have my save files.

So I noted them for future reference.

I guess landing on Mars isn't everybody's cup of tea or coffee on here? I'd of stayed with the moon one only if it had not been for it freezing, both it would seem now.

As for this Mars mission, it works fine. Even crash landing. The others I don't know in the MFL pack, but I don't care for that as that is all Trans x etc nightmare!

There is even a return craft I discovered in this mission landing one.:)

The lander only has a maximum of 8.00 fuel, so I did need to do quite a few burns, and refill the tank since the mission was set for a random landing in the first place.

Mr Bonin was ambitious using heavy lift vehicles of the end of the century for such a mission and the other man Mr Z he was in that film I watched at 1-2AM last night explaining his vision for a direct mission there.

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I guess landing on Mars isn't everybody's cup of tea or coffee on here?

Not necessarily, but I suspect not too many want to just "eyeball" and physically fly a craft to a landing site the hard way, using just map, orbit and surface mfds & the HUD.

If I understand your posts correctly, apologies if I don't - you wish to use realistic very near-future craft and pilot them down to a landing "old school" as it were, yes?

richfororbit

Reaction score
Sure! I have to try something!

I believe a few here have tried, they just haven't viewed the topic. Or may be they did and thought, good luck.:lol:

That's fun for me. I have entered the atmosphere at my latest save, I'm a little far from the location, but I think I can just about make it, I'm just puzzled as to why there is no entry effect at a particular altitude when I enter, surely at 60KM I'm in the planet.