Managing Orbiter Installs

FalconAF

Reaction score
I upgraded my computer and am ready to install Orbiter again. In the past I used JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, but I'm sure I wasn't using it to it's "full potential" when it comes to Orbiter. Even using it, I would encounter instances when one addon would overwrite something from another (base config files, ext) and eventually something in my Orbiter installation would no longer work correctly. So it occured to me...

With all the various addons available for Orbiter, how are some of you "expert" users of Orbiter and JoneSoft Mod Enabler "managing" your addons? Are you still using multiple installs of Orbiter to avoid conflicts in some cases?

A "tutorial", or just good advice from your experiences, would be greatly appreciated. What is the best way to incorporate the Generic Mod Enabler and Orbiter with all the various addons?

Thanks for any suggestions. I think this type of advice would make a new user's Orbiter experience much more enjoyable.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't use any mod enablers, on the case most (80%) of addons work with other addons. The ones that don't work with other addons are normally outdated.

However I currently have 6 different installs arranged as
  • Aircraft
  • AMSO and Other Apollo parts
  • A general install for XR-1/5, DGIV, HLV, CTV, Greg Burch's addons and a few others
  • Addon Development
  • Shuttle
  • Launchers for satellites, probes etc
That is how I manage them, how you do it is up to to you, but then also learn to troubleshoot your own problems and it will make things easier to solve.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

FalconAF

Reaction score
Thanks. By the way, this is the first time I've been to this "new" Orbiter forum configuration. Should have browsed it a bit better prior to my post above. Three posts below in the "Full Orbiter Install" thread is an excellent "tutorial" for using the Mod Enabler with Orbiter. Oops! Sorry 'bout that.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Thanks. By the way, this is the first time I've been to this "new" Orbiter forum configuration. Should have browsed it a bit better prior to my post above. Three posts below in the "Full Orbiter Install" thread is an excellent "tutorial" for using the Mod Enabler with Orbiter. Oops! Sorry 'bout that.

Realising this and writing this excuse makes you OK in my book! :cheers: