News Making 'V' sign when taking photos could lead to fingerprint theft

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
After the airport bird flue thermal imagery scam, the flashing traffic cams scam, the dashcams scam, yet another clumsy trick devised by the Architect exposed!
:mad:

Japan researchers warn of fingerprint theft from ‘peace’ sign

11JAN2017

Could flashing the “peace” sign in photos lead to fingerprint data being stolen?

Research by a team at Japan’s National Institute of Informatics (NII) says so, raising alarm bells over the popular two-fingered pose.

Fingerprint recognition technology is becoming widely available to verify identities, such as when logging on to smartphones, tablets and laptop computers.

But the proliferation of mobile devices with high-quality cameras and social media sites where photographs can be easily posted is raising the risk of personal information being leaked, reports said.

The NII researchers were able to copy fingerprints based on photos taken by a digital camera three metres (nine feet) away from the subject.

“Just by casually making a peace sign in front of a camera, fingerprints can become widely available,” NII researcher Isao Echizen told the Sankei Shimbun newspaper for an article published Monday.

“Fingerprint data can be recreated if fingerprints are in focus with strong lighting in a picture,” Echizen also told Yomiuri TV.

He added that advanced technology was not necessary and anyone could easily copy fingerprints.

But NII says it has developed a transparent film containing titanium oxide that can be attached to fingers to hide their prints, the reports said.

The film prevents identity theft but does not interfere with fingerprints being effective in identity verification, the Sankei Shimbun reported.

But the technology would not be ready for another two years, the paper said.

C15KoPnWEAEaFYy.jpg

The many people who habitually make a "V" sign when posing for photographs may need to be more cautious in the future. According to a recent study by a Japanese research institute, it's possible for fingerprints to be stolen with information no more sensitive than a high-definition "V" sign photo.

https://www.tokyodailynews.com/japan-researchers-warn-of-fingerprint-theft-from-peace-sign-regional/

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now the question.... how many pixel must the camera have to properly photograph my fingerprint.....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's why I always make the peace-sign with the back of my hand forward.
I don't quite get why some people get angry and start insulting me because of that, though... :shifty:

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So how many camera where at the battle of Agincourt, explains the action of the archers maybe!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I personally always wrap my fingers up in tin foil and cling film before any spontaneous photography.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I personally always wrap my fingers up in tin foil and cling film before any spontaneous photography.

:rofl: The tin-foil thimble. THE new must-have accessoire for the casual paranoid.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I find kinda funny people using fingerprints to unlock your phone / laptop. What's wrong with password/pin or even android style "9 dot code"?

Especially that you most likely left your fingerprints all over the device anyway so in case it was stolen by competent thief, he can grab your fingerprints anyway.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I find kinda funny people using fingerprints to unlock your phone / laptop. What's wrong with password/pin or even android style "9 dot code"?

Especially that you most likely left your fingerprints all over the device anyway so in case it was stolen by competent thief, he can grab your fingerprints anyway.

And the 9 dot code can be seen on the display as well. :lol:

Seriously - smartphones and security is no friendship.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And the 9 dot code can be seen on the display as well. :lol:

Yes, I agree. That's why I don't keep banking apps on my phone. If I really need to do money transfer on the go I pull up my old netbook.