Discussion Magnetic headings for runways?

Should a new addon referencing runways...

• Use true north for runway numbers, like Orbiter

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Use magnetic north for runway numbers, like real world charts

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm working on updating my Glideslope http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2763 addon to among other things be able to read custom entry profiles (so you don't have to enter an XR5 on a Space Shuttle entry profile) and read the config files so that it finds all the runways in the world, not just Canaveral and Vandenberg.

My problem now is that I have to name all the runways in the world so that the pilot can select the one he wants. You would think that it should be automatic, since runway numbers are just derived from the runway heading, so it should be easy to find the heading for the Wideawake runways and just number them "Wideawake 12, Wideawake 30", etc. However, convention in the real world demands that the runways be numbered after their magnetic headings. I have a magnetic model http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3960 but Orbiter itself uses true runway headings. This causes a problem with things like Vandenberg (and any runway in California), where the runway is numbered 12/30 in real life but 14/32 in Orbiter.

So, is it more useful to match Orbiter, or match real life?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Use true north, because of one big reason:

Orbiter has a whole solar system, with only Earth being a planet with runways, which has a significant magnetic field.

Also, the runway numbers in many places in the world are not correct anyway, since the magnetic poles moved quite a lot since the runways got named. If we get closer to geomagnetic field reversal, the magnetic heading would be useless anyway.

Peskie

Reaction score
Custom entry profiles

I'm working on updating my Glideslope http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2763 addon to among other things be able to read custom entry profiles (so you don't have to enter an XR5 on a Space Shuttle entry profile) and read the config files so that it finds all the runways in the world, not just Canaveral and Vandenberg.

:speakcool: I often use Glideslope and Aerobrake for reentry with various winged craft and have often lamented that Glideslope only shows info for VLB (which I don't have) and the Cape. I don't mind that Glideslope gives a profile for the shuttle since I tend to use it more for horizontal guidance to get into the HAC and allined to the runway.

Can I ask that your 'custom entry profiles' that you mention includes the ability to specify a turning radius and other final approach information to automatically generate HACs appropraite to the craft (e.g. an XR-5 doesn't turn very well so a nice extra large HAC would be awesome).

Thanks!

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I agree true heading should be used for all the navigational aspects. Rather than derive the runway id, I would provide a way to name them for two reasons. You have the 10degree window for a runway id so whats a few more, and it also provides a way to name parallel runways. I prefer the name "Bob" myself.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I agree true heading should be used for all the navigational aspects. Rather than derive the runway id, I would provide a way to name them for two reasons. You have the 10degree window for a runway id so whats a few more, and it also provides a way to name parallel runways. I prefer the name "Bob" myself.
Actual transcript of tower transmissions from Yagni's spaceport:
Tower: "Altea Seven Tango X-ray, cleared for the ILS, runway bob."
N547TX: "ILS Bob for Seven Tango X-ray, copy."
Tower: "ReFuel Three Two Seven Six, taxi to and hold short runway bob via taxiway alpha, taxiway charlie, taxiway whiskey, readback."
RFL3276: "Taxi and hold short bob via alpha, charlie, whiskey, ReFuel Three two Seven Six."

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Well, if there's a Bob there would have to be an Alice too wouldn't there, probably running parallel to Bob...