Lower framerates on more powerful computer

msligo

Reaction score
Hello,

I've primarily been using NASSP on my laptop, but I recently set it up on my desktop, which is far more powerful. However, when I run the Apollo 8 mission from launch, the frame rate is substantially lower on the desktop PC. On the desktop, the frame rate maxes out at about 15 fps, with an average of about 10. On the laptop, the frame rate maxes out at about 29 fps, with an average of 20 fps. The frame rates stay roughly the same whether looking at the rocket on the launch pad or inside the cockpit.

I'm using the Orbiter2016 development branch, with the most recent commit (7 days ago).

The laptop uses an Intel Core i7-4510U and integrated graphics.

The desktop uses an Intel Core i5-4670K and NVIDIA GTX 1070

Both computers have 8 GB of RAM.

The Orbiter settings are literally identical on both machines, except for the Video tab. On the Desktop the 3D device is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" while on the laptop the 3D device is "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family." Aside from that all other settings are identical.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I was really looking forward to a higher quality NASSP on my desktop.

Thanks in advance!

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For (planetary) textures the HDD speed makes a huge difference.
But as the framerate stays level even after some time, this is not likely the case.
In case both machines have SDD, this is also irrelevant anyway.
The graphic card hardware/driver might be the main factor here.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you built the modules in debug mode? NASSP does some extensive logging in debug mode and generally it performs very poorly. So if you aren't debugging some issues yourself you should always be building in release mode. I certainly do.

The frame rates stay roughly the same whether looking at the rocket on the launch pad or inside the cockpit.

Usually I would say the CPU is the bottleneck in NASSP, but that only really applies to the CSM main panel. So your issue is probably something else, maybe the way you are building NASSP or graphics settings. I can get 60+ fps all the time in NASSP, with similar hardware to yours (GeForce GTX 970, Intel i5-4690K, 8GB RAM), everywhere but on the CSM main panel. There it usually is up to 60 fps (quite randomly) for me, when I have nothing else running that uses the CPU (Google Chrome is especially bad for this).

msligo

Reaction score
Yes! That was it. I just ran it in Release mode and got framerates of around 80 in the cockpit and 300+ on the exterior. Thank you!

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great. I'm sure we could do some build settings in Visual Studio to improve the performance of the debug mode, would be quite useful to have that. Some of the logs that are being written are also not really needed anymore. They were done to do e.g. Virtual AGC and IMU debugging when they were first implemented in NASSP, but both of these have now been part of NASSP for a very long time and don't need much debugging anymore.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
We definitely should look at the code that's conditionally compiled into the debug build.

In the past we've ran into some bugs that would only be reproducible in debug mode, but those are hard to find with performance lacking.

msligo

Reaction score
I've run into one such bug. In debug mode, the Apollo 8 mission crashes to desktop right around SIV-B shutdown at around T+10 mins. In release mode this doesn't happen.

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
That's usually caused by variables that are uninitialised. Thanks for the report, will take a look.

msligo

Reaction score
To Zatnikitelman, I use the D3D9 addon, so I open Orbiter_ng.exe.