Discussion LKS inspired shuttle concept.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For some time I've been playing around with various spaceplane concepts I'd like to use in orbiter for "daily use". I put "Starchaser" on hold because I want crew shuttle first. I played around with various concepts and I ended up returning to Chelomei's LKS.

LKS_mock-up.jpg

There something in that thing that draws me in.

Basically I want something in XR-2 class of complexity however current/near tech. That's why I ditched kero/lox/air jet-rocket hybrid engines, limited dV to 500m/s and came up with this. Basically it's slightly smaller LKS capable with crew of 2 + 6 passengers.

Here's what I've done today (airbrakes deployed):

Chelomei_Crew_Shuttle_002.jpg

Chelomei_Crew_Shuttle_001.jpg

Now question: Original LKS was intended to be lifted by Proton. Do you think it's viable to use inline configuration or safer would be to put it in some form of sidemount launch vehicle?

Any suggestions apriciated.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The shape looks like it can be launched by an inline booster... but if you want to reach Orbit, you should better use something else than a Proton.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Now question: Original LKS was intended to be lifted by Proton. Do you think it's viable to use inline configuration or safer would be to put it in some form of sidemount launch vehicle?

Sidemount, Viable: YES, Safe: NO

Inline, Viable: YES, Safe: Safer than sidemount, at the very least.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The shape looks like it can be launched by an inline booster... but if you want to reach Orbit, you should better use something else than a Proton.

No Proton but question still stands. LKS concept had folding wings and I'm worried lift generated by wings far from COG during the launch could easilly tip rocket over or break it.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Sidemount, Viable: YES, Safe: NO

Inline, Viable: YES, Safe: Safer than sidemount, at the very least.

Why do you think inline is safer than sidemount? Sidemount doesn't nescessary include SRBs.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No Proton but question still stands. LKS concept had folding wings and I'm worried lift generated by wings far from COG during the launch could easilly tip rocket over or break it.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Why do you think inline is safer than sidemount? Sidemount doesn't nescessary include SRBs.

Abort is simpler. The system that woo482 used for his shuttle atop the earlier Themis version is a good example of how easy it would be. Foldi g wings, though, would be mandatory for stability.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
In my understanding, and after intense discussions at the old times of the Eridanus development, sidemount is by far preferable if your spaceplane has large fixed wings.
Obviously in this configuration, safety is a heavy concern if you haven't a launch abort system, because your orbiter's cockpit is pretty close to the propellant tanks.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That rules out SRBs I think. Ideally I'd like fully Kero/LOX LV however I may end up with Energia like solution (Kero/LOX boosters + LH2/LOX core).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only big advantage of sidemounting payloads is the high of the stack. The Space Shuttle did not really have any advantage in safety by being a sidemount, quite contrary in its actual implementation. But from the ground operations perspective, sidemount was perfect. The payload bay was only 20 meters above ground, inline it would have been 50 meters higher. Also, most important connections had been very close together (at the aft end), which greatly simplified the launch operations.

Since this vehicle is significant smaller than the Shuttle and has no large payload bay to use, mounting it inline is not coming with huge ground operation problems.

Of course, if you care about how to get the rocket assembled and moved to the launch pad, side-mount might still make things a lot easier.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I thought the LKS wings were in a folded condition when launched. I have a picture somewhere with LKS and MAKS side-by-side, with both craft using an in-line launch configuration they both had their wings folded.

I'm a bigger fan of the Mira airlaunching MAKS, but mainly just for the John Wayne factor.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score

When I said that inline is safer than sidemount, I was alluding to the fact that for a spaceplane, sidemount seems riskier than inline architectures.

STS-107 is the obvious example. A sidemount capsule seems like it would be safer.

Sidemount+Shuttle.png

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
When I said that inline is safer than sidemount, I was alluding to the fact that for a spaceplane, sidemount seems riskier than inline architectures.

STS-107 is the obvious example. A sidemount capsule seems like it would be safer.

Sidemount+Shuttle.png

Eridanus has a two-pronged approach to fix the sidemount issues, if memory serves: A conformal shield that protects the TPS from debris strikes, and a detachable crew compartment attached to a LES tower.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the other advantage for the space shuttle was that the SSMEs were recoverable and of course the only way to have this was to have it sidemounted.

Anyway, as other said, from a safety point of view surely inline is safer.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I thought the LKS wings were in a folded condition when launched.

Yes but it's LKS inspired shuttle not LKS itself. I ditched folding wings to reduce craft's complexity. Without folding wigs or fairing there will be tremendous forces acting on the rocket.

ISProgram said:

Foam strikes were mostly caused I think by vibrations induced by SRBs. Since I plan all liquid fuel LV, risk is greatly reduced.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
mounting it inline is not coming with huge ground operation problems.

Especially given that Russians assemble their rockets horizontally, then put the whole thing on an erector (that was even true for the N1).

I'd try a multi-core version of Angara as a launcher.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Foam strikes were mostly caused I think by vibrations induced by SRBs. Since I plan all liquid fuel LV, risk is greatly reduced.

From what I was aware, the ET foam was in fact weakened by thermal flexing during propellant filling, creating cracks. Though the vibration environment from the SRBs almost certainly contributed. Ice breaking off the vehicle during liftoff is also still an issue.

The Atlas V might be a decent launch vehicle, though without SRBs, the triple-core configuration becomes necessary.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Made a quick test in silverbird's calculation and I ended up with LH2/LOX core with ~1MN engine along with 2 RD170 powered boosters.

Here are numbers and tank size visualisation.

LV_parametrs01.jpg

lv_tanks.jpg

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Loru, wh you can't size your orbiter for already existing rockets of your inventory instead of making new rockets every time?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Loru, wh you can't size your orbiter for already existing rockets of your inventory instead of making new rockets every time?

Because it would be only half as much fun? :lol: