Picture 2.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 83

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
About time - this single unit's been getting mighty lonely over the years. [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3378"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3378[/ame]

That Space City series looks like a fun distraction :thumbup:

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
I would call dibs on this, but I'm not sure I could follow through. An interesting challenge...

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
www.ascensionspaceagency.jimdo.com
I was often thinking about something like that :p
The Lego City Space sets are really nice, but I don't like the space shuttle. I have the other one. I am building with my own parts a small space shuttle since last week, if you want, I can post a pic of it.
But this Lego Rocket would be nice as an addon. :)

EDIT1:About the shuttle fleet skin, that could someone do.

EDIT2:300 Posts! :lol:

EDIT3:When I look at my signature...In the other way, Lego could make a HARP cannon out of Lego :rofl::rofl::lol::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
About time - this single unit's been getting mighty lonely over the years. http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3378

That Space City series looks like a fun distraction :thumbup:

I found the brick, and thought "Nice" but it's missing something. I was never one for using a single brick, I always had at least 300 at my disposal.

I was buying for my grand son, when I noticed I'd get all 4 sets and have more fun than he could. (I'll get him something else)

---------- Post added 07-29-11 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-28-11 at 12:17 PM ----------

I got my Space Shuttle kit today 10231, Shuttle Expedition Space Shuttle. 1230 pcs, two manuals for assembly, looks like it will be fun to build.

I did however NOT LIKE the landing gear protruding out of the top and bottom of the wings and nose. I will be ordering the parts to make these areas smoothed over with the right appearance.

I can live with the not so real paint job. No mobile launch pad, or tower, but it came with a new Camera cart, and figure. the shuttle only seats two. The satellite is prototypical, I'll be making a Hubble from these parts and what ever I need to order to make up the difference.

All in All it looks like a LEGO Space Shuttle with ET and Boosters, go figure!

kevin580

Reaction score
Website

I got my Space Shuttle kit today 10231, Shuttle Expedition Space Shuttle. 1230 pcs, two manuals for assembly, looks like it will be fun to build.

I did however NOT LIKE the landing gear protruding out of the top and bottom of the wings and nose. I will be ordering the parts to make these areas smoothed over with the right appearance.

I can live with the not so real paint job. No mobile launch pad, or tower, but it came with a new Camera cart, and figure. the shuttle only seats two. The satellite is prototypical, I'll be making a Hubble from these parts and what ever I need to order to make up the difference.

All in All it looks like a LEGO Space Shuttle with ET and Boosters, go figure!

Have fun with it!!!
It is really fun building, can you say please how long you need to build it?
And yes, I don't like that with the gear, too. And the nose gear is often falling down. But it is a really nice shuttle.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
It took 1 hour last night to get to the point of start assembly of the gear. Which I will now pause to inventory what bricks I need to to fill in the gear bays to proper flush-ness. I may proceed with the build anyway, and when the order comes in, accomplish some minor dis-assembly to allow me to remove the gear and flush it out for display on the ET and Boosters sans gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Now is probably a good time to link to Bricklink

It is the de facto internet shop for all Lego parts. It has a larger selection than Pick-A-Brick or Lego Direct.

Additionally most parts and shipping is cheaper.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Adding comment to the possibility of an addon, I don't think it will work very well.

The best way to implement it would be to use Velcro Rockets. But unless someone comes up with an interactive assembly tool, it is going to be pretty boring.

Now this type of addon would work well in KSP. KSP already has the editor and the feel of the game matches.

Both ways depend on meshes and a "simple" config file, so the work load is about the same.

Just my :2cents:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Tl8

I was thinking of making the whole LEGO rocket, like in the picture I attached, Lego launch pad, Lego control center, and so on... and using existing code(from something) to make it fly. Were you thinking of a Velcro rocket with Lego payload instead?

I need to look at KSP, don't know what it is...

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Velcro is a meta addon.
Basically with Velcro, you would make the Lego rocket meshes and put the rocket together with Velcro commands.
At the end, you have a reconfigurable rocket that uses a 'standard' system of commands.
The rocket can then be reassembled in different ways.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
OK I thought they(velcro) were a great add-on series, I didn't know they were "Meta"

So the term Velcro is because they act like velcro tape together rockets, not because they were written by some guy named "Velcro"

I suppose this might work, but I had not thought of making the Lego rocket modular. I was thinking of making different Lego payloads for it, and allowing a payload manager to swap payloads prior to launch. Like the Ariane 5. or Falcon 9H. That's where my thinking took me.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Have fun with it!!!
It is really fun building, can you say please how long you need to build it?
And yes, I don't like that with the gear, too. And the nose gear is often falling down. But it is a really nice shuttle.

All together it took me 3.5 hours to build, I did it in three settings(honey do list got in the way)

I figured out what pieces I needed to fill in the holes in the wings, I'll make a list available if anyone needs it. I did build it without the gear to start with. i paused after I has assembled it, left it out(except key bricks) and finished assembly with just the holes remaining.

On a side note I also put together a parts list for the HST that should fit in the bay. I'll know for sure when the parts arrive and I put it together.

I found the whole thing went together nicely, and should be relatively easy to modify once the parts get here.

So the rocket model would be an easy mesh, I think the shuttle would be a more difficult mesh, and with 1230 pcs, you defiantly don't want to build it brick by brick, although you could and actually get the look right. I wonder if Lego would give up the 3D drawings for the bricks? Or if you could extract them from the LEGO Universe game they have.

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
I'll make a list available if anyone needs it.
Would be nice, please do it.

On a side note I also put together a parts list for the HST that should fit in the bay. I'll know for sure when the parts arrive and I put it together
And could you make this list aviable here, too, please? Thanks.

And btw, I thought about a Lego Digital Designer to Orbiter mesh exporter :lol:

Kendo

Reaction score
Not as many pieces.

Attachments

• Lego_Shuttle.jpg
    Lego_Shuttle.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 26

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Would be nice, please do it.

And could you make this list aviable here, too, please? Thanks.

And btw, I thought about a Lego Digital Designer to Orbiter mesh exporter :lol:

How far did you get on the converter? Do you think it could be scripted like the max2msh script?

Lists will be posted tomorrow. But remember, the HST list is incomplete, I have to figure out the solar arrays, and lens shield. The HST that is published has not been released as a model yet. It's slated for some time this year. Same with the ISS model. So lets call these lists beta versions. OK?

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Not as many pieces.

Dude, that's awesome. was it ever released as an add-on?

Kendo

Reaction score
No Capt. I've just converted it from a Google Sketchcup model.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
This is the image of the Hubble that's supposed to be issued some time this year.

http://cache.lego.com/upload/conten.../download9B41B81217978C5E6EDCCBE4647F2B67.jpg

The brick list is as follows:

4210633 x4
4211010 x2
4249139 x6
4277928 x1
4515351 x2
4211087 x2
4558959 x4
4221881 x1
4567449 x2

For the filler for the wings of the Shuttle and nose

you could do these
4585737 x2 wing upper white
4205347 x2 wing lower black
or
383226 x3 wing lower black
4547489 x8 filler ramp upper wing
379526 x1 lower nose
416201 x2 Upper wing
306901 x2 Upper wing
366601 x3 Upper wing

I'm downloading the digital designer and will be trying to use the system to export to 3DS MAX probably via SKP dont know yet.
If I can get a simple model out I'll try a more complicated rocket, and finaly the shuttle, we'll see

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
For Hubble you need these as well
4290056 x2

The ISS LEGO model will only be flown in space according to LEGO and NASA, It can't support it's own weight on earth. What a shame!