OHM LagrangeMFD 1.5 for Orbiter 2016

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: adswnj

Lagrange MFD is an Orbiter 2016 MFD utility to allow you to explore the Lagrange points of Sun-Earth, and Earth-Moon. It's based on a highly accurate state integrator designed by Keith Gelling. 

V1.5 version has much more capability to plot Lissajous orbits in 3 dimensions, including rotating around the stabilized axes to visualize your orbit even more precisely. 

This utility plots your orbit in 3 dimensions, with pan and zoom, and the ability to reference different focus points. You can then predict a hypothetical burn, to achieve an encounter with one of the Lagrange points. The autopilot helps with orientation, burns, and station-keeping. 

Thanks to Keith "Keithth G" Gelling for his guidance and teamwork putthing this together. 
Thanks to Dimitris “dgatsoulis” Gatsoulis, Brian “Brian J” Jones, ZT “Nicholas Kang” Kang for testing support. 
Thanks to Szymon “Enjo” Ender for ModuleMessagingExt co-developent, for MFDButton framework, and his technical assistance. 

DOWNLOAD

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Announcing updated version 1.1 for Lagrange for Orbiter 2016.

I've been meaning to do this version for a while. This version features enhanced graphics for the Orbit Plot screen, including the ability to lock onto the Lagrange Point, and also to select a rotating frame of reference.

Feature: Lagrange Point focus
  • Freeze the LP as the focus point, and rotate everything w.r.t. this point.

Feature: Center focus lock
  • Place the focus point in the center of the MFD display.
  • (Overrides LCK, which locks the focus point at current position, e.g. so you can zoom and keep this point at the same place).

Feature: Scale lock
  • Locks the same scale for the all projection views. Useful if you are switching projections and you want the same scale across all three axis projections.

Feature: Rotation lock
  • Rotates the plot to keep the major and minor entities on a horizontal line. This allows you to examine the trajectory of your vessel in a non-rotating frame. This is awesome on the L4 and L5 Lagrange Points ... where you can now see the exotic and stable orbits around these "Trojan" points.

Feature: Orbit Plot now editable
  • OPC button on S4I screen. Allows orbit plot to be adjusted from 10 to 10,000. Default is 1,000. Add more plot lines to smooth out the orbit plots, as needed.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hate to bug ya but since some of us still have the 2010 version, will that version be updated as well? :hmm:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hate to bug ya but since some of us still have the 2010 version, will that version be updated as well? :hmm:

Sigh ... s'pose so. You are just missing out on all the beauty of Orbiter 2016. Gotta make the leap one day, right? ;)

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I have both but keep a 2010 install for headache-free add-on operation. The things that I want to take to Lagrange point- only work properly in Orbiter 2010 right now.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated v1.5 release, focusing on Lissajous orbit visualizations. This version now can show orbits in a rotating frame of reference, in 3D, and then rotate the orbit around in any axis to further show the orbit's characteristics. This plus miscellaneous other fixes.

Shout out to BrianJ for the encouragement to create this version.

Here's a quick demo of the new features:

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Awesome work, Andrew. Many, many thanks. Display in "Rotating Frame" works great and now you can view it from any angle. Also, removing unneccesary plots is useful. Great stuff :thumbup:

turtle91

Reaction score
I have had some crashes using this new version.
I "PMT'ed" my DG to EML4 and played around with the new display features.
Two times now, while playing around with projection and zoom, Orbiter 2016 crashed.
I have not seen anything in the logs...just "Orbiter stopped working".

Maybe it's my system. Maybe I used too much ITR's ?
However, I will try to do more troubleshooting to...maybe find a pattern.

Btw., is there any special D3D9 client mandatory ? ( I am not on the latest build, and maybe this might cause the issue)
No problems with version 1.0 btw.

However, I need to leave for another 14-16 hours "night"-shift.
As said, I will do more testing within the next days and let you know.

And....many thanks for all your brilliant MFD's which keeps Orbiter alive and us Orbinauts busy. :thumbup:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have had some crashes using this new version.
I "PMT'ed" my DG to EML4 and played around with the new display features.
Two times now, while playing around with projection and zoom, Orbiter 2016 crashed.
I have not seen anything in the logs...just "Orbiter stopped working".

Maybe it's my system. Maybe I used too much ITR's ?
However, I will try to do more troubleshooting to...maybe find a pattern.

Btw., is there any special D3D9 client mandatory ? ( I am not on the latest build, and maybe this might cause the issue)
No problems with version 1.0 btw.

However, I need to leave for another 14-16 hours "night"-shift.
As said, I will do more testing within the next days and let you know.

And....many thanks for all your brilliant MFD's which keeps Orbiter alive and us Orbinauts busy. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding your crashes - I would start with the ITR amount: the higher this is, the more memory you will consume, and strange things will happen if you exhaust it. (I try to be defensive against allocation failures, but it may fail in places outside of my code, where I steal just enough to break something else.)

There's no D3D9 dependency, so feel free to use it or not as you prefer.

If you have a .scn file you can post, and things you are doing to try to get it to break, I'll try running it on my setup, with debug on (i.e. I can catch the crash and then see the real-time memory state to figure out what is happening). If it's a solid reproduction, I will be able to fix it for sure!

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for a feature to add. Add a remaining DeltaV. This is especially important for rockets like the DeltaII since that vehicle launched the Genesis

Uramogi

Reaction score
Can I use this MFD to create a halo or Quasi-halo Orbit?

:cheers:
This MFD is really useful for learning Lagrange points.We all know that the landers on the back of the moon need a relay satellite to send signals back to Earth.The orbit of this satellite should be designed as a halo orbit or a Quasi -Orbit at L2. I have to admit that the shape of the halo Orbit is so beautiful,I really want to create this beautiful manifold in space by Orbiter.Can I create the halo orbit by MFD?