Problem Jet engine animation

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Hello, i am working on an addon for the global hawk operated by nasa. It is fully modeled the textures are still incomplete but i am trying to get the jet engines to rotate like a real one does and i cant get it to work. Any ideas on how to get the jet engines to spin like real jet engines?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean the rotation of the jet fan blades? Won't they be going a little too fast to perceive the rotation?

jinglesassy

Reaction score
The spinup and also the rotation of the jet fan blades. The rotation i am not trying to make it that detailed just so it looks like it is rotating.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Does the Orbiter engine support animated textures?

Or the other option is to create a rotating object, of which its either always rotating, or slaved to the engine thrust. Rotating objects are definitely already possible, with examples like the Arrow freighter and all.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

In all realism however, an active turbine engine always spins 'too fast for the eye to see', at any speed from idle to mil thrust, so a blurred turbine texture on say, an A-10's turbofans works really well by itself.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Is this in SC3 or a DLL?

N.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
It will be a .dll ship. Also i am trying to get it to constantly play a engine sound like with the ucgo cars.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does the Orbiter engine support animated textures?

No. Rotating fan blades sound like a classical detail overkill... that's a lot of polygons to be rendered for very little gain.

It is possible, of course, just look at how animations work. The fan will have to be a seperate mesh group, since Orbiter doesn't support vertex animations. Then you just set up a rotation for that mesh group, and slave the rotation speed to the engine thrust.

As for the idle engine sound when on zero thrust, you should be able to make it a looping sound that kicks in when the engines are running, completely detached from your thrust setting. Allthough you'll probably want to cut it when thrust rises above a certain level.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but would it be possible to have engine noises still playing at zero-thrust?

Sure. But there is no engine sound in reality at zero-thrust, that sound starts at idle thrust. :facepalm:

jinglesassy

Reaction score
No. Rotating fan blades sound like a classical detail overkill... that's a lot of polygons to be rendered for very little gain.

It is possible, of course, just look at how animations work. The fan will have to be a seperate mesh group, since Orbiter doesn't support vertex animations. Then you just set up a rotation for that mesh group, and slave the rotation speed to the engine thrust.

As for the idle engine sound when on zero thrust, you should be able to make it a looping sound that kicks in when the engines are running, completely detached from your thrust setting. Allthough you'll probably want to cut it when thrust rises above a certain level.

Thanks that worked. Doesnt work to well at high rotation speeds though. Also the looping sound effect worked just need to get a sound effect now.