Discussion Japanese *concepts* for manned lunar missions

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, the Japanese space agency JAXA announced that they would be sending astronauts to the Moon in the 2020s, with a base to be completed by 2030. Sadly, this program never got past the powerpoint stage, probably because of Japan's current economic issues.

But what would it have looked like? I saw this article on NASAspaceflight.com a while back and tried to look for the source of some of the images there. I eventually found this .pdf as well as this one.

A few robotic missions would have preceded a series of manned sorties and the construction of a lunar base.
jhoVKdR.png

Several candidate landing sites were chosen:
iMICviy.png

A human-rated launcher and HTV-derived manned spacecraft would have been developed.
9fFQy0m.png

YbkWLKF.png

Cryogenic stages would have sent the spacecraft to the Moon.
s6k3pkF.png

Robotic landers under the SELENE/Kaguya program would have led to a manned lunar lander.
06s0fch.png

qHVVNVo.png

The lunar base would have been constructed in cooperation with NASA (using technologies such as ATHLETE).
LURQTzm.png

JAXA's contributions to the base would have included a lunar rover and a cargo lander...
jNy9mkN.png

as well as solar arrays and robotic systems.
at3f1u5.png

Here is a diagram, showing how the HTV derivative would rendezvous with a lander pre-placed in lunar orbit.
cyB28Lg.jpg

Also, a Japanese astronaut could have gone to the Moon in the Constellation program (His name? Hibito Nanba). But NASA doesn't "feel so moon" anymore.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I like the pressurised rover (a lunar snowcat?) and cargo lander.
That lander looks like something I might be able to make.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The pressurized rover is a concept that we have pursued at FOI during the Arcturus lander development (sadly in indefinite hold now).

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here'sss my rover !!

Attachments

• rover2.jpg
    rover2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 63

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait until the current President is out of office ;) :thumbup:

I hope the next president gets a briefing at the appropriate intelligence level.

I suspect "The pointy end has to point up" will be too much for the GOP candidates. But for Hillary, we would have to explain her that "periapsis and apoapsis are not the same, regardless how cool those words sound in a speech. And the pointy end still has to point up."

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I see an abort to the basement, coming with this thread. :facepalm:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
That lunar lander cabin layout in that last image is actually very interesting. :hmm:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I found this thread on the NASAspaceflight forum, which led to this paper by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries from 2008:

The manned mission would have involved six launches of a three-core H-X launch vehicle, successor to the H-IIA/B:
- 1 lunar lander module + 2 earth departure stages
- 1 manned transfer vehicle + 2 earth departure stages

With six launches, over 30 tonnes could be put in low lunar orbit.
rm6BLJG.png

VHeWfLQ.png

CObry4l.png

Several types of equipment: lunar descent stages (for crew and cargo), unmanned and manned rovers, robots, and powered space suits.
NCroWbf.png

Space based solar power and far-side radio observatory:
WV3FJUZ.png

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-05-15 at 01:57 PM ----------

A clearer view of the lunar lander, designed for 2 crewmembers and a 7-day stay:

ewVE2T0.png

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here is my recreation of the mission profile in Kerbal Space Program (with the Real Solar System and Realism Overhaul mods).

4W8n5jh.png