Project J-Class Modular Interplanetary Heavy Freighter

FatalFlux

Reaction score
Hey! Being an Orbiter noob of less than a week, I decided to start work on an extremely ambitious mod! Makes total sense, I know.

So allow me to present for your consideration the SinoMaersk Solar J-Class Modular Interplanetary Heavy Freighter!

k8S24.jpg

More pics here!

It's a very much work-in-progress heavy cargo mover meant for industrial-scale transport operations. In a practical, gameplay sense, I have no idea what it will really be useful for. It should be able to deliver an absolutely absurd amount of cargo to any Sol-bound SOI your heart desires though. Maybe you want to make an entire fleet of bases on Titan in only one trip? I don't know. Well now you (soon) can! :thumbup:

The main feature of this mid-25th century Chinese/Danish transportation mega-glomorate vessel is it's modular nature! As you can see from the rough model, the actual ship itself has essentially zero cargo carrying capacity. Any cargo it can haul on it's own would have to be stowed in the bays of any docked XR5-type or DG-type spaceplanes. The rest is engines, plumbing, fuel tanks, and various other odds and ends like the bridge and lavatories. At the front of the vessel is a massive docking connector. It is here where you can attach as many separate modules as you care to. Initially, I plan on releasing the standard cargo carrying module with the main drive module. Future modules might include extra fuel, auxiliary engines/maneuvering systems, or cargo modules in other configurations (non-UCGO; bring the ISS to Mars, I dunno :shrug:). These can be mixed and matched to suit your needs!

Naturally this thing isn't meant for any kind of surface landing, atmospheric or otherwise. You're advised to bring along a capable cargo ferry (we recommend the Vanguard). Possible supplementary projects may include a reentry drive module, allowing a one way trip to the surface for a single module, and a surface-launched refueling ship for added realism! Naturally, once this thing is released, you guys are encouraged to make any of these or your own modules, if you like. Modules for everyone!

Anyway, I'll be working on this pretty aggressively over the winter break. I can't promise a release date, naturally, but I'll be shooting for sometime in Q1 2012. The ship will be modeled in Blender and have a custom DLL. A VC is also planned, but you know how these things go. Don't wanna get carried away here :p

Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated. I'm eager to hear your concerns, criticisms, advice, and wishlist for such a project. I'll be asking plenty of questions in the coming months, I'm sure. <3

(Also, would any of you actually use this in a semi-real scenario? I mean sure it will be cool, but I honestly can't imagine a need for so much raw cargo-moving power other than novelty. :p)

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Looks great,looking foward to it.Suggestions, how about some type of lift, or, arm for the cargo,so a space tug could have easy acess to grab it.
Also it seems I saw something like this for orbiter a couple of years ago,I searched the net,but I could not find it,but I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very cool, and I love the description. The "J-Class," modularity, and shape of the girders/modules are giving me a very strong Captain Forever vibe. I like it. ;)

You seem confident with your abilities, are you experienced at C++?

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I wish I had your modeling abilities, so many ideas, but no way to implement them.

This sounds ideal for mass operations, even if it is much more then required:lol: My kind of crazy.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Looks fun to me and I might be using it considering that there are not many options for UCGO DSV cargo vessels apart from the Arrow.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
There is no such thing as overkill, only "open fire!" and "I need to reload!"
:p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Be warned though - there is a limit of 40 to the number of UCGO cargoes that can be carried.

If it could be made to carry [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4572"]piles of these[/ame], it would be awesome.

FatalFlux

Reaction score
Very cool, and I love the description. The "J-Class," modularity, and shape of the girders/modules are giving me a very strong Captain Forever vibe. I like it. ;)

You seem confident with your abilities, are you experienced at C++?

Well I'm no C++ whisperer or anything but it's definitely not my first time in a for loop :p I'm less confident about doing things gracefully and in a resource efficient way within Orbiter, mostly model and texture wise. Should be fun though!

Be warned though - there is a limit of 40 to the number of UCGO cargoes that can be carried.

If it could be made to carry piles of these, it would be awesome.

Yep, I had that pointed out to me early on. The modularness makes it seem like I already was aware of it lol. Cargo racks are definitely happening.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So far the model looks quite framerate-friendly. Don't worry too much about resource consumption in an Orbiter module; the API is thorough enough that you can get away with a functional vessel (fuel, engines, cargo management, bells, whistles, etc.) with relative ease. Unless you're going to emulate the functions of the ship right down to individual circuits (obviously unnecessary for a fantasy vessel) and plumbing, you won't have a problem.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Maybe a docking module would be nice, like a closed hangar. From the dimensions it looks like it could easily fit a vanguard :)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Need any modelers?:shrug:

FatalFlux

Reaction score
Maybe a docking module would be nice, like a closed hangar. From the dimensions it looks like it could easily fit a vanguard :)

That's what the door visible under the painted on logo is. Vanguard dock! :D

The final in-game scale of the thing will largely be determined by the Vanguard and DG dock size requirements actually.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
That's what the door visible under the painted on logo is. Vanguard dock! :D

The final in-game scale of the thing will largely be determined by the Vanguard and DG dock size requirements actually.

Awesome. I''m looking forward to this :)

mc_

Reaction score
Heavy payload in front (especially in case of adding more cargo modules) can easily cause a stability problems.
Just wondering, why not a "tractor design"?