Question Its been awhile... how to increase an "edge's" thickness in Anim8or?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, it has been a long time since I have developed addons as I have been preoccupied with other duties. So, with my question in hand, I ask a very simple question. In Anim8or how do you increase the "edge's" thickness. Right now it is as thin as sheet metal, but I have no insight on how to "widen" it. I feel like such a noob......:lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In Anim8or how do you increase the "edge's" thickness. Right now it is as thin as sheet metal, but I have no insight on how to "widen" it. I feel like such a noob......:lol:

An "edge" in a modelling program is one-dimensional. It only has a length. You can't make it thicker or thinner. If you want your object to have a thick edge, your object has to be 3-dimensinal (i.e. at least a box, not just a plane, as a plane is two-dimensional).

Then you just make the whole object as thick as you want, and you get your visible edge. That means that in the program, you will have at least four of what the software calls edges around what you'd consider the edge.

I'm afraid I'm not picking the best way to explain it am I? If you learn anything from this, let it be this: What your software calls an edge is not what you call an edge. To the program, an edge is merely part of the outline of the polygone, and they can be rendered or not rendered (that's what we call smoothing) depending on wheather or not you want a sharp edge there. But it has no thickness.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think I get what you mean... The tool for this in Anim&tor is "Shell", it is probably what you're looking for. You can only apply it to meshes, not to primitives (that you can convert to meshes). ;)