Request ISS 3.2/Shuttle Fleet 4.8 tutorials?

XeroZohar

Reaction score
Are there any tutorials for shuttle newbies out there, perhaps specifically tailored to the STS missions in thorton's ISS 3.2. I launched the STS-88 scenario (after the sit-and-watch Zarya Proton launch before it), and boy I have no idea where to start after the automated launch ends. I guess at that point I take control and rendevous with the Zarya to attach Unity, but I'm not sure.

I did some searching but couldn't find anything useful. But if I missed some obvious tutorial then by all means beat me over the head with a link. :lol:

Thanks!

Edit: I should note I've done plenty of orbit operations with other more forgiving vessels like the DG/DGIV/XR series, but haven't really tried the STS shuttles until now. I looked at the virtual cockpit and panicked a bit I think, plus I know the Shuttle Fleet uses some kind of custom MFD for certain things. Not familiar with that. ANYWAY.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, heres a general run down:

dock Unity to the shuttle using the RMS (values are given in the documentation for the ISS to do this automatically)

now, it may be possible to grapple Zarya with the RMS and conduct the docking using this (i cant remember how it was done in real life), otherwise, you just RCS yourself there, being careful that the moved CoG will affect your RCS thrust output.

alternatley, (*this may only be possible in orbiter):
grapple the Unity, then move it to dock it to Zarya, without moving the shuttle, then use the RMS to bring both modules back to the shuttle

best way: wheck wikipedia for the mission notes, which would explain how it was done, then use the shuttle fleet documentation to work out how to do it in the sim

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unberth Unity from the payloadbay with the RMS,then dock it to the ODS, PMA2 end. Rendezvous with Zarya and fly the shuttle to the Zarya, so it's practically in the bay. Grapple Zarya with the RMS. Manuever it to the top of PMA1 (it barely reaches) release it then thrust upward to dock the two together.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about GPC MFD, it's mostly an info display with a few autopilots in it.

markweasal

Reaction score
iss v 3.3

on the next version why not make evrything currenty on station one pice it would clean up the scenarios

XeroZohar

Reaction score
Thanks all for the help. Is there a GPC MFD tutorial out there, out of curiosity? (Since you mentioned the autopilots)

If I need help with future ISS missions I'll just post here. :thumbup:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure. GPC's main autopilot is simply a launch trajectory AP. You simply activate it (in most cases it's active at scenario start) and let the shuttle place itself into a nearly circular orbit.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
GPC has no autopilots. The launch autopilot has its paramaters entered into it in the scenario file. You can use the GPC to activate it, if it is not activated by timer using a different method, or simply throttle up the engines your self. The launch AP will take over from there, including the throttle down and the heads up roll, everything.

It is displays. It displays information for the ascent, the descent, it has the OPS3 Spec 50 display, it has the SM OPS 202 display for the Payload Bay doors, and thigns of that nature. Shuttle Fleet has its own version of OPS 201, Universal Pointing. That is for attitude control, and is not the easiest thing to utilize via the Orbiter dialogue box.

You do not need GPCMFD for any of the rendezvous and docking procedures. I have docked the Space Shuttle with the ISS many many times on VBar and then the TORVA without ever using GPCMFD or the Universal Pointing screens that come with Shuttle Fleet. You may find the RPOP display to be useful however. I do. Great tool for approaching objects in orbit.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I know what VBar means, but what is TORVA?

I actaully missed a step in my earlier post.

Approach on the R-bar, which means for the shuttle you approach the station from underneath. You then perform a TORVA to transition from the R-Bar to the V-Bar for docking. TORVA stands for Twice Orbital Rate R-bar to V-Bar Approach. You spin the shuttle at a rate that would create two full rotations for one orbit around the Earth. You add a little plus x to add some momentum to the spin, and you actaully draw a circle around the station. For the TORVA, you only draw 1/4 of the circle, as when you reach V-bar you stop the rotation and null out drift, then head to the docking adapter.

After you undock you perform a TORFA, Twice Orbital Rate Fly-Around, which you apply the same rotation to the shuttle, and same plus x translation to then complete the final 3/4 of the circle. At the end, you will be under the station, about 700 or more feet away, then burn the OMS to increase the rate of seperation.

RPOP, Rendezvous MFD, and Attitude MFD are very useful for all of this.