Advanced Question IS THERE JUST OUR SOLAR SYSTEM IN ORBITER 2016 OR A WHOLE UNIVERSE TO BE DISCOVERED??

LOOKKIIALT

Reaction score
I have a question is there just our system or a whole universe filled with planets and stuff to explore?? :hailprobe:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Default, it's our own solar system that you can discover.
On OHM you can find other solar systems that you can explore.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
When your simulation respects actual physics, one solar system is plenty.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When your simulation respects actual physics, one solar system is plenty.

I have to say though that I wouldn't be angry at all if there was some officially supported "extended solar system". I'm not even sure the outer planets add-on still works with Orbiter 2016, and considering the wealth of bodies around our humble star, the solar system of orbiter can feel a bit empty at times.
I'm not saying we should have *all* known bodies in there (my CPU would probably just yell at me and then go sulking for a few days).
I'm also quite aware that with all the configs, textures, and now also heightmaps and whatnot involved this isn't a task for the Doctor. And there's quite a few things around on OHM, but it can be a pain to get it all together and working well. Something like an officially approved package would be extremely convenient to have, especially if approval for updating said package would also be centralised.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Something like an officially approved package would be extremely convenient to have, especially if approval for updating said package would also be centralised.

It's doable, but "official" means bureaucracy and it would complicate things.
In the case of my 2010 bases, I simply donated them to the Doctor and Orbiter, and most are now part of 2016.

But I'd like to see some more bodies part of the standard package.
I think we are missing comets... and there's no good reason not to have dwarf planets...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and there's no good reason not to have dwarf planets...

There is, unfortunately. Have you ever been out at Pluto? floating-point precision already starts to get wonky. You go out much further and you'll be seeing your own engines out of your cockpit...

It's doable, but "official" means bureaucracy and it would complicate things.

Actually I think it would be less bureaucracy, because you wouldn't have to hunt down long-lost developers to ask for permission to update one of their add-ons.

In the case of my 2010 bases, I simply donated them to the Doctor and Orbiter, and most are now part of 2016.

Hey, I didn't know that. Thanks a lot! :cheers: