Is Orbiter SDK development a good way to learn flight software development?

chalcrow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've started SDK development using Orbiter. I'm doing it so that I can learn flight software development, as I want to work on real space flight software development. I'm an experienced software engineer but a complete C++ and Orbiter noob. I've now got the Atlantis sample building thanks to some help from the forum, so I just made a donation on the forum and intend to keep supporting Orbiter :)

Is using the Orbiter SDK a good approach for learning real flight software programming? How similar is it to real spacecraft flight software development?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
First of all no - different programming language and programming concepts. Real flight software development is more about paperwork than about being creative, you rarely leave the known "cooking recipes" for keeping quality high.

Second, a weak yes: It helps you learn about some key concepts behind GNC.

chalcrow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Urwumpe. What's GNC? Is there a better option than Orbiter to learn about real spacecraft software development? What would you recommend? Have you worked on real spacecraft flight software? There's a guy Joe Barnard who's started a model rocketry company called BPS space who has some good stuff, although it's very hardware based rather than software and again I'm not sure how much it simulates real flight software development.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
GNC = Guidance, Navigation and Control.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i started my business and one of my friend adviced me to systematize my database. He advices me a good tool as <O-F Staff: Spam link deleted>, someone use that? I need some reviews, can someone helps me?

Pretty far offtopic. And if you ask in a forum about spaceflight simulations about relational databases to help your business, you are in a dire situation.

Finally - I have no idea about your use case for needing this tool. Its about synchronizing database schemes. Not "systematizing" it, whatever this should be. And then, when you know what you want to achieve - how are your processes around it? Does the tool fit into your existing processes? or are you planning to design your business processes around the tool?

Last edited by a moderator:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Urwumpe -- turns out that was a spambot; it posted the same commercial link in two unrelated threads over a period of days. The spambot won't be back anymore. :thumbup:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
@Urwumpe -- turns out that was a spambot; it posted the same commercial link in two unrelated threads over a period of days. The spambot won't be back anymore. :thumbup:

Could spambot posts maybe be left in with the content stripped (e.g: "Mod note, spam removed, spambot banned")? Urwumpe's post seemed a complete non-sequitur until I got down to your post, which took a while, because I was looking through the top of the thread for the missing post.

Additionally, I don't know if it would create issues with users feeling that their posts were being edited without their permission, but when a user inadvertently quotes a post removed/stripped by moderators, it might be good to replace the text of the quote with something to the effect of "Mod note, quote references removed/stripped post", so that A) There is less confusion resulting from the word text no longer being present elsewhere in the thread and, B) Inflammatory/spam content in the quote doesn't remain in the thread via the quote (I see you've removed the link itself, which wasn't the case when I started writing, so that's taken care of as regards this post).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Damn, was the first spambot then refering to real commercial software. :lol:

I did check twice before answering, suspecting exactly what you write here.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Can you explain please what was going on here with spambots? for us lesser mortals?

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Can you explain please what was going on here with spambots? for us lesser mortals?

N.

A spambot left a post on the thread (I think sometime earlier today) with a link to a commercial software product, and Urwumpe inadvertently replied to it without realizing it was a spambot. The mods then entirely removed the post, which confused me because I couldn't find what Urwumpe was quoting and didn't see dbeachy's post, because I was looking above Urwumpe's post to see what he was quoting. Because I was so confused, I left a recommendation for the mods on how such things could be dealt with in the future to reduce confusion.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Understood.

N.