Question Iowa class rolling broadside video

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I recall once finding on Youtube a video of one of the Iowas doing a gunnery excercise, in which she was putting out a sustained barrage of both 5" and 16" fire. The pace of fire was somewhat similar to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piJQYJdYCQ

The perspective however, was closer to this video (but with the ship firing away from the camera):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQt3mBjOi6w

However, in searching for it recently, I've been unable to find it.

Does anybody know the video I'm talking about?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Oh my, does that bring back the memories! Wish I had some video of the "smokeless" powder (wartime use only).
2nd video was circa 1987, that dome above and forward of the stack was our RPV antenna enclosure.

Typical reload time of the 5" guns were 20 seconds, the 16's (by procedure) was 30 seconds. Modern ships put out a lot of metal in a shorter time, but they are automatic, we were all crew served.

I've got this video on VHS (original edition).
You can see our tiny RPV here starting around the 5 minute mark.
(see one particularly young handsome devil at 5:34 on the far right)

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Typical reload time of the 5" guns were 20 seconds, the 16's (by procedure) was 30 seconds. Modern ships put out a lot of metal in a shorter time, but they are automatic, we were all crew served.

Huh? That's the longest cycle time I've ever heard quoted for the 5"/38. Wikipedia and Navweaps say 15 rounds power minute was the design rate of fire, which is a 4 second reload time.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wikipedia and Navweaps say 15 rounds power minute was the design rate of fire

Maybe they meant per turret?

(see one particularly young handsome devil at 5:34 on the far right)

particularly young, or particularly handsome? :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe they meant per turret?

Would need to look it up in the manuals, but I believe that about 5 seconds for one gun is correct for the 5" guns, those had been fairly quick firing, since they also had to do AAA duty.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
I believe that about 5 seconds for one gun is correct for the 5" guns, those had been fairly quick firing, since they also had to do AAA duty.

I've seen videos of those 5" firing two rounds in 5 seconds, though I don't know if they still fired that fast after the modernization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bVs2D0SqI

2:36

And wow, those things fire fast for their size. :blink:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Maybe it was a procedural thing??? I don't think I ever saw the 5" gun mounts sling lead that fast. Then again we weren't trying to hit kamikaze either. On the New Jersey in '88 we were shooting at a target and the 5 inchers went "rapid and continuous" for about 5 minutes or so. Looking along side the ship at the mounts it was difficult to see which gun was shooting, but I don't think the nearest mount put out better than one round every 15-20 seconds. Maybe 10, I'll go as far as 10 seconds (it was after all more than 25 years ago). But only the once did I ever see that.

Those shell casings (spent) littered the deck after many a gun shoot. Sometimes it was funny to watch the crews chase them down.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's also a difference between max rate of fire and sustained rate of fire. Max the very fastest you can shoot, sustained is the fastest you can keep it up without damaging the barrel from heat.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I never knew that those RPV's were flown into a catch-net to land!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The wife still finds it hard to believe that I flew remote control planes as my first "job" in the Navy.

After I left (to go to VX-1) the group deployed to the USS New Orleans for a short while. Kind of wish I could have done that, actual rolling launch and recovery on a flight deck designed for it, rather than adapted.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Maybe it was a procedural thing??? I don't think I ever saw the 5" gun mounts sling lead that fast. Then again we weren't trying to hit kamikaze either. On the New Jersey in '88 we were shooting at a target and the 5 inchers went "rapid and continuous" for about 5 minutes or so. Looking along side the ship at the mounts it was difficult to see which gun was shooting, but I don't think the nearest mount put out better than one round every 15-20 seconds. Maybe 10, I'll go as far as 10 seconds (it was after all more than 25 years ago). But only the once did I ever see that.

Those shell casings (spent) littered the deck after many a gun shoot. Sometimes it was funny to watch the crews chase them down.

I counted the shots in the first minute and a half of the first video I posted. Turret 3 (16") fires at around 0:26, turret 2 fires at about 0:41. Between the two there are about 13 5" shots. Turret 1 fires at about 0:56, with about 12 5" shots between turrets 2 and 1. So in the 30 seconds over which the 16's are fired, there are about 25 5" shots from 6 guns (1980s refit), or about a 7 second cycle time. It's another full 30 seconds before turret 3 fires again, in which time I count 34 5" shots, which works out to about a five second cycle time in the second part of the video. (The 16's are "slacking", with a 60 second cycle time).

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

After I left (to go to VX-1) the group deployed to the USS New Orleans for a short while. Kind of wish I could have done that, actual rolling launch and recovery on a flight deck designed for it, rather than adapted.

Hey, at least you didn't have to haul OS2Us aboard with a crane.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I never knew that those RPV's were flown into a catch-net to land!

I didn't realize that the method of mine-sweeping was to send a guy out there to attach a bomb to a live mine and then swim for his life while the fuse burned down...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I didn't realize that the method of mine-sweeping was to send a guy out there to attach a bomb to a live mine and then swim for his life while the fuse burned down...

We use robots for some time now, but usually it is done that way....