Updates Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle (IXV)

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
ESA lifting body entry vehicle on the cusp of final approval

The European Space Agency should formally approve this summer the construction of an Italian-led demonstrator that will launch into space on a rocket, fly back to Earth like an airplane and parachute into the Pacific Ocean, according to the mission's project manager.

The Intermediate Experimental Vehicle is on track to blast off on a Vega rocket in late 2013, speed around the Earth at a peak altitude of nearly 300 miles, then drop from space and fly back to Earth with the help of aerodynamic flaps and a parachute. Giorgio Tumino, the IXV project manager at ESA, said the craft passed its final critical design review in May.

Senior ESA officials are now firming up the spacecraft's cost before signing a contract with Thales Alenia Space of Italy to build the vehicle.
Formal approval for the contract signature should come from an industry planning committee meeting at the end of June, Tumino said in an interview.
"We are in quite an advanced stage of the program," Tumino said. "It's not paper, but it's reality. There is an internal European process for the approval of all the activities. We should be able to sign the actual contract by the end of this month."
Sandrine Bielecki, a Thales spokesperson, said the company signed an agreement to be the IXV's prime contractor in 2009. Individual contracts for design work and hardware production are handled separately.
After ESA and Thales sign a final production contract, there is a 27-month schedule planned to manufacture parts, build the spacecraft and test it before shipping the vehicle to the launch site in Kourou French Guiana.
The total cost of the mission is about 100 million euros, or about $143 million.
ixv.jpg

Full Spaceflight Now article

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now that's what a shuttle should look like. I hope ESA will continue along this road. :thumbup:

Hermes was way to expensive compared to buying seats on the weekly STS flights out of Florida. Bet they won't make that mistake again :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Let's keep fingers crossed :) I hope the funding will get ensured for this, while I like runway landing, such a lifting body is much better in all other aspects.

Chub777

Reaction score
This reminds me of Klipper for some reason. Is it because of the body shape?

Mantis

Reaction score
Is this intended to be a manned vehicle or strictly a cargo carrier with return capabilties? Looks like an interesting design either way.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I hope this can answer your question.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_eXperimental_Vehicle"]Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle (IXV) is a European Space Agency (ESA) experimental re-entry vehicle intended to validate European reusable launchers which could be evaluated in the frame of the FLPP program.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting. It is raining new spacecrafts projects nowadays !

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's the mass of the Izzy-vee? /me wants precision landing, but isn't Italy a wee bit far from the Pacific?

HR_Oso

Reaction score
Nice concept but IMHO, Skylon is the way for an european space transportation system.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd love to see this project pull through. It's about time some of these new ideas manifested. :)

Am I wrong or does it look like a Komusai shuttle?
Not really. IIRC Komusai was wider, flatter, and winged; more like the Venturestar. Not to mention bigger, greener and probably made out of cast iron, just for the hell of it. :p

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please nasa make an even better and more efficient version:hail:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
ESA: ESA reentry vehicle on track for flight in 2013:
21 June 2011

ESA and Thales Alenia Space Italia announced an agreement today at the Paris Air & Space Show to begin building the IXV Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle for its mission into space in 2013.

Europe’s ambition for a spacecraft to return autonomously from low orbit is a cornerstone for a wide range of space applications, including space transportation, exploration and robotic servicing of space infrastructure.

This goal will be achieved with IXV, which is the next step from the Atmospheric Reentry Demonstrator flight of 1998. More manoeuvrable and able to make precise landings, IXV is the ‘intermediate’ element of Europe’s path to future developments with limited risks.

{...}