Question Inter-Dimensional flight

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
In another of Roddenberry's shows called earth final conflict. The Taelon ships have the ability to "jump" into I.D. Space and fly to a target and jump back into normal space. Because it is "Inter Dimensional" flight normal laws don't apply also a given ship could travel through a planet.

I am wondering if this is able to be made within the orbiter universe as such addon's like rwarp, other warp drives and the stargates and all that stuff do exist. I think the effect if done right could be super cool.

In the show you could cross the planet in a shuttle in 4 min.
also you could travel to a distant planet within ID space a lot faster then in normal space.

the you are able to fly in ID space like you would in normal space so you would have to plan you flights well but if you drop out at the right time and place you should be good.

Could it be done?

could it be done right?

Here is a video I found on youtube. This has been set up to skip the stuff at the beginning for you all. But you can see ID space and how the shuttles fly. There are loads more videos and the shuttles are in just about every epi so it is not hard to find other footage.

thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Rwarp MFD is what I am using now and would be a great place to start I just don't know what I am doing. :(

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

http://youtu.be/ioPwfBQLSNw?t=5m43s sorry...I notice the video didn't post.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There are some addons that permit near-instantaneous jumps from one place to another (The babylon 5 jumgates and the stargates for example) but Orbiter really is not designed for this sort of thing. It is designed to be a simulation of one solar system with the expected 4 dimensions.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are some addons that permit near-instantaneous jumps from one place to another (The babylon 5 jumgates and the stargates for example) but Orbiter really is not designed for this sort of thing. It is designed to be a simulation of one solar system with the expected 4 dimensions.

Actually just three dimensions, since the time-like component is not part of the state vector in Orbiter (or newtonian physics).

Rendering the spacecraft accurately with Special Relativity could be a bit tougher in Terms of Memory demands. :lol:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
ya I imagine the rendering part would be hard yes on a external view. but you really would not want to do that so much just cause you are only in ID space for so long before you do need to jump out. I have tried the stargate one not the jump gate. But lets say you play with that idea for a second.

the stargate is a MFD controlled vessel that

you dial when you hit a certain distance from. It does that. you go through..things get wonky and you come back out the other side.

what if that was changed

for example

NO GATE.. the portal is generated at the front of a given ship and it is pulled into it. This is how it is done in EFC anyways.

upon exiting the "gate" or in this case portal would close behind after you exit. thats if you even went with a open gate on the other end. Cause it is kinda like BANG they are back in normal space when they jump back.

Granted some stuff would have to change but stargate has a wonky view anyways. I am not sure what it is like in hyperspace with the B5 jump gate but I am interested. Like I said tho the stargate is MFD controlled anyways so why would it not be possible. Maybe you can't pilot in ID space within orbiter but why can't you jump into it and out of it at a given target. and just make the wonky part longer depending on distance traveled. and you would have to have the ability to pull your self out of normal space in the sense that you could fly through a planet if needed to reach a target. (stargates do this i think)

so all that being said.

pick a target, select altitude from target, select distance from target and jump to ID space. Seems simple enough to me. I don't know nothing about how you all do what you do and my hat is off to ya. From a outsiders perspective seeming the stargate is half way there if not more and maybe the jumpgate to why can't it be done? Just wondering.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score

I actually use that. In fact I love it. But the whole "Jump" experience is not really cool even tho it was well conceived. I would love if someone would make that or change the jump and travel effect to be well. More sci fi like. The addon it self is amazing like I said, love it. But why not take it that little bit more and make it perfect?

Add a jump in effect
take the what is it gamma? and make it better (move the stars like star trek, make it that cool water effect we all love from windows media player that they took for EFC. something)
add a jump out effect

These are all things that could be done I'm sure. Like I have said in the post above all beyond me and hats off to all who can. The stargate wonky part is kinda cool and i think is a interesting blend of both stargate/earth final conflict ID effect/star trek's warp speed. That was very well done to. but ya Rwarp totally works and was kinda what I was getting at but making it cooler. I only went on about the stargate on cause of the event horizon it self or ya the jump gate.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
THMLive - sounds like you need to investigate coding a DLL and bringing your dreams into orbiter.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's well beyond anyone who hasn't learnt how to.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Im tryin to find now something so I can look at the code of the Rwarp see if I can make heads or tails of it. I also have some sites up as well to compare. any free DLL editor you can rec?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Im tryin to find now something so I can look at the code of the Rwarp see if I can make heads or tails of it. I also have some sites up as well to compare. any free DLL editor you can rec?

Look, you are going into some many misconceptions there, a DLL is nothing else but a compiled computer program, in PE format and containing x86 machine code and a bit of data, that a CPU understands.

You produce a DLL by programming it in a programming language, the language of choice in the Orbiter world is C++, Lua is also possible.

The process is writing the source code (the blueprint of a program) and turning it into the DLL by compiler and linker, which has to be in a format that Orbiter understands. The best way to ensure that Orbiter understands it, is to use the Orbiter SDK and follow its manuals to the letter.

Without the source code of a DLL, you can only reverse engineer it back into a (likely different) source code, which is a very complicated and very time-consuming task.

Last edited:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Look, you are going into some many misconceptions there, a DLL is nothing else but a compiled computer program, in PE format and containing x86 machine code and a bit of data, that a CPU understands.

You produce a DLL by programming it in a programming language, the language of choice in the Orbiter world is C++, Lua is also possible.

The process is writing the source code (the blueprint of a program) and turning it into the DLL by compiler and linker, which has to be in a format that Orbiter understands. The best way to ensure that Orbiter understands it, is to use the Orbiter SDK and follow its manuals to the letter.

Without the source code of a DLL, you can only reverse engineer it back into a (likely different) source code, which is a very complicated and very time-consuming task.

Thanks for the explanation. and the confirmation that unfortionally I don't have the time to learn the C++. As much as I want to. Bad time of the year for me to do sit down and do that. I was hoping for a easy way to solve this problem of making Rwarp cooler.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As to starting programming, you can get Visual Studio Express from here, which is a free IDE for development.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks for the explanation. and the confirmation that unfortionally I don't have the time to learn the C++. As much as I want to. Bad time of the year for me to do sit down and do that. I was hoping for a easy way to solve this problem of making Rwarp cooler.

What are you doing, that you don't have the time to learn C++? Working as resident at the local hospital? :blink:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
unfortionally I don't have the time to learn the C++.

6e73a.jpg

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Where to start.

consultant for 4 companies
Music producer
owner/operator of a active recording studio.

I'd say my days are pretty stacked. So taking the time to learn something like a coding language is not really at the top of my list. THANKS FOR ASKING ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE HOW ABOUT YOU? WHAT DO YOU DO THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH TIME TO THINK OTHERS DON'T WORK HARD TO GET WHERE THEY ARE IN LIFE. SO MUCH FOR ASKING FOR HELP IN THIS MATTER. WHATS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM.

I thought it was to share and help one another not to ridicule them for not 1. having the time and 2. not getting the CONCEPT OF DOING IT!

THANKS

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where to start.

consultant for 4 companies
Music producer
owner/operator of a active recording studio.

I'd say my days are pretty stacked. So taking the time to learn something like a coding language is not really at the top of my list. THANKS FOR ASKING ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE HOW ABOUT YOU? WHAT DO YOU DO THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH TIME TO THINK OTHERS DON'T WORK HARD TO GET WHERE THEY ARE IN LIFE. SO MUCH FOR ASKING FOR HELP IN THIS MATTER. WHATS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM.

I thought it was to share and help one another not to ridicule them for not 1. having the time and 2. not getting the CONCEPT OF DOING IT!

THANKS

So you can PAY for it. Thank you. Will remember it. :tiphat:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

THANKS

No one is ridiculing you but you have to remember than orbiter developers do this for the love of orbiter. They are not paid and so tend to work on things that they enjoy. Often that development is to do with Orbiter's core function, it's ability to be a realistic space flight simulator.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
WHATS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM.

This forum is to help others experience Orbiter, coordinate developement effort and do the other things. Not because they're easy, but because they're hard... (couldn't resist).

You must understand one of the rules of software developement: Ideas are cheap. Anyone can throw 3-4 decent ideas for orbiter add-on from the top of his/her head. I have dozens of ideas for orbiter, even started working on some of them. But for idea to become a product, it needs hours and days of hard work.

Throwing out idea and expecting everyone will abandon their projects to work on yours is well... That won't lead you far.

If you can't code, mesh or texture things at least lay groundwork for your idea.

Describe preciselly how do you see it. What interface should it use? How do you see the effect? (Throwing startrek reference isn't enough)

Describe effect timing, mesh shape, texture. Browse the internet for clip showing effect you'd like to see. Search for texture similar to one you want to see.

Do some concept work and crunch some numbers (how fast should it go? will it be able to stop in the middle of the process? how you'll set a target?).

It's much easier for coder or gfx artist to evaluate idea described in such way and decide if he/she wants to devote time for it.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score

THANKS

It should probably be noted that your first blog post here (and it's "sugar coat" by the way, not, "sugar code") in essence ridiculed a host of developers for not, "doing it right"
Now I'm no coder: the closest I got was tinkering with BASIC on a C-64 30yrs. ago., but I do know that Orbiter was created to demonstrate the (real) physics of spaceflight.
Being such, there are limits to what it can be made to do. For example, you can't 'warp' off to another system. You can DL other systems, but you can't 'journey' from one to another. You can get yourself moving mighty fast but there will never be relativistic effects.
That said, it's amazing what devs HAVE gotten Orbiter to do. As GaryW said, the people who develop for Orbiter do it for free, as a gift to others who, like themselves, love Orbiter and wish to share. For this, we should all be thankful.

And none of them are under any obligation to do anything to the specifications of others.