News (Inspiration Mars) Dennis Tito Wants to Send Human Mission to Mars in 2018

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
SpaceRef:
Universe Today: Dennis Tito Wants to Send Human Mission to Mars in 2018

NASA Watch: Dennis Tito To Announce Private Human Mars Mission

NBCNEWS.com - Cosmic Log: Millionaire spaceflier reportedly plans private mission to Mars in 2018:
Dennis Tito, the millionaire investment whiz who became the first paying passenger to visit the International Space Station in 2001, is said to be planning a privately backed, 501-day mission to Mars in 2018. But the full details — including whether humans will go along for the ride — may have to wait until a Washington news conference next week.

{...}

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I want to send a Moon mission by evening and a Mars mission by tomorrow morning. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Does he plan on bringing them back?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Actually it seems that the manned Mars mission is "just" a Dragon launched with 2 people on a Falcon Heavy on a Mars fly-by free return mission in 2018, with the mission length at 501 days. I'm still skeptical, but at least this is even more doable than Golden Spike......

Source: New insights on that private (crewed?) Mars mission

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So...two people stuck in a tin can for 501 days? Good luck with that....

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds bloody boring. Why do we have to get people on mars so soon? What's a few decades? Allow some time for research and testing.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Somehow I can't see what scientific benefit a manned flyby would bring, appart maybe from a survivability assesment, but most of that you could also make locking two people into a corner of the ISS for the same ammount of time :shifty:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Somehow I can't see what scientific benefit a manned flyby would bring, appart maybe from a survivability assesment, but most of that you could also make locking two people into a corner of the ISS for the same ammount of time :shifty:

What if we also add a Venus fly-by? Apparently the only way to make it to Mars and back in 17 months is to do a Earth-Venus-Mars-Earth free return flight: http://cmapspaceexp.ihmc.us/rid=1JWVZ8RM5-TQKTP4-18RG/Mars%20Free%20Returns%20Via%20Gravity%20Assist%20from%20Venus.pdf

Maybe someone can try this out on Orbiter with, say, a DG(IV? XR1?)? ;)

evme%20free%20return.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I wish good luck to him :tiphat:

I have an idea : find two prisoners sentenced to death willing to do it, and give them freedom plus enough money to start a new life if they are back (you never know) :hmm:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

Why does there have to be a scientific benefit to exploration? :) The reason is simple: It would be the most historic spaceflight in human history.

The plan looks like to use a Falcon Heavy and a Dragon capsule for a 501 day mission. You'd think it was crazy, but in the dark times we live in - maybe we need something crazy to drive us to finally go to the heavens. With the right consumables and equipment, this is possible.. There's good people like Jonathan Clark on this, don't write this off yet. Far more feasible and a lot more grandeur than the Mars One idea.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
A Bigelow module could be very useful as SM.

If they find people crazy enough to go.

I remember reading that a lot of people considered when they announced they would send men to the moon that it would be a great trip, if you were crazy enough to go.

Come on though, I think everyone here who has ever played with InterplanetaryMFD or TransX MFD to Mars would volunteer in a heartbeat. :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
I'm not so sure prisoners would have the necessary psychological makeup to do this. Besides, we can't even get out of LEO anyways.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A Bigelow module could be very useful as SM.

I don't think it is designed to be operated outside Earth magnetosphere.

I'm not so sure prisoners would have the necessary psychological makeup to do this.

By the way, it was ironic/sarcastic. I'll add that if they don't kill each other during those 501 days, they will have demonstrated an impressive mental stability and will be ready to be reinserted.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
2 weeks in a Gemini was HELL.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I remember reading that a lot of people considered when they announced they would send men to the moon that it would be a great trip, if you were crazy enough to go.

Come on though, I think everyone here who has ever played with InterplanetaryMFD or TransX MFD to Mars would volunteer in a heartbeat. :lol:

I would volunteer if issues such as radiation shielding were already well solved.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'm not so sure prisoners would have the necessary psychological makeup to do this. Besides, we can't even get out of LEO anyways.

We can get out of LEO. We just usually lack the funding.