IMFD 5.1h Earth Surface -> Lunar Surface

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because of the lack of tutorials for IMFD 5.1h, I need to ask how to set up a surface launch on Earth to the Moon using IMFD. Every time I try using it, I use the course -> target intercept program and it just keeps spinning my "orbit" (I don't know exactly what it is) around Earth! I've played with every variable and the same thing happens. I have specified the target as the moon, but don't know how to set the source. Does anyone even know how to set up a surface launch to the moon?
Thanks,
Zat

to be

Reaction score
You really don't need to use IMFD to launch to the moon. Since the moon is so far out, it moves very slowly with respect to something in low earth orbit, and you just need to get on the right inclination and LAN. That said, I don't see why you couldn't use IMFD, it is just overkill, something like Launch MFD, or even map MFD will easily do it for you.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Because of the lack of tutorials for IMFD 5.1h, I need to ask how to set up a surface launch on Earth to the Moon using IMFD. Every time I try using it, I use the course -> target intercept program and it just keeps spinning my "orbit" (I don't know exactly what it is) around Earth! I've played with every variable and the same thing happens. I have specified the target as the moon, but don't know how to set the source. Does anyone even know how to set up a surface launch to the moon?
Thanks,
Zat

You can use the Surface Launch program to reach low earth orbit.

1. Select Surface Launch
2. Set Op-Mode to Lunar Off-plane
3. Set Target to the Moon
4. Specify Lunar Intercept time "GET 80:00:00" for an example.

"Time" tells you how long it takes to reach the launch window and
"Hed" tells you the launch heading.

If you want to make more precise orbit insertion you may want to monitor the EIn. It displays the deviation form the required eject plane.

5. Once you have reach the low Earth orbit. Open Target Intercept program.
6. Target the moon
7. Specify lunar intercept time. Must be equal to the time used in Launch program "GET 80:00:00"
8. Select proper TEj (the one that gives minimum dV)
9. Switch to "OffAxis". (OffAxis mode won't start if TEj is badly incorrect)
10. Reselect proper TEj
11. Enable Autoburn

to be

Reaction score
A quick request to Jarmonik, for IMFD 5.1i or 5.2, or 6.0 or whatever winds up being next :), could the typo in the configuration page "GlassCockbitMode" be corrected to "GlassCockpitMode"? Sort of minor, but I see it every time I use IMFD, since I always turn that option on.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still doesn't work. When I'm in orbit, the best solution I can get is a 7 km/s DV about 20 days from when I'm in orbit. It's completely unintuitive. The variables are either hidden or locked in somehow that is not apparrent.

Dr Pepper

Soft Drink
Reaction score
I suggest downloading the "Go Play In Space" ebook from here, http://www.aovi93.dsl.pipex.com/play_in_space.htm

Read Chapter 4 "Fly Me To the Moon". This desrcibes how to get to the moon using IMFD. You don't need everything for the totorial as long as you are just trying to get to the moon with IMFD.

Hope this helps,

Zerofay32

Unless it's been changed recently, the "Fly Me To the Moon" chapter in GPIS was wrote using the orbiter-included Transfer MFD. I know this because I just got done reading it about two hours ago. :)

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Oh shoot!

Sorry about that. I was thinking of the Mars chapter. The moon chapter does use the Transfer MFD. I should have double checked, its been some time since I've looked at that chapter.

but on that note, the Transfer MFD is pretty easy to use for a lunar transfer.

Zerofay32

Cale

Reaction score
To add on to Jarmonik's advice, you'll probably need to do a course correction before you get to the moon to fine-tune your arrival orbit.

I've never done a direct landing...have always gone into orbit first.

1.When you're approx 20k seconds (or ~6hrs) from lunar PeA, open up IMFD map program in the right MFD.
2. Hit the Menu then the Map button. This'll bring you into Map Mode.
3. Make sure source is set to your vessel. If it isn't, hit the SRC button, type "X" and ENTER.
4. Hit the PG button, then the SOI button. This will show the sphere's of influence. Make sure your ship is inside the lunar SOI for more accuracy.
5. Set reference to the moon. You can zoom in to look at your trajectory and see what adjustments need to be made.
6. Now click the MNU button. This will bring you back to the main menu screen.
7. Now open up IMFD in the left MFD. Hit the MNU button.
8. On the right MFD (which should be at the menu screen), hit the PG button, which tells IMFD to share data. Type "0" (zero), so that it will get data from the left MFD.
9. On the left MFD, choose "Base Approach".
10. On the left MFD, make sure source is your vessel. Same procedure as point #3 above.
11. Set reference to Moon.
12. Set target to the base you want to land at. You'll have to correctly type the base's name for it to work.
13. Use the PRV or NXT buttons to highlight the "Approach For" field. Using the + or - buttons, choose "Orbit insert".
14. On the right MFD, hit the button that says PLN. You may have to switch pages to see this button. This will show your planned trajectory that you're setting up in the left MFD. On the right MFD, the trajectory line should change to blue if you do this properly.
14. Here's where this get tricky. You need to set the target periapsis altitude using your left MFD. However, you need to look at the right MFD to see what your trajectory will actually be. The map program in MFD is the most accurate program for showing your actual trajectory. When you set an altitude in the left MFD, it will be different in map screen on the right MFD. Adjust your altitude in the left MFD until you get the desired PeA in the right MFD. You'll likely have to experiment a bit, but a good altitude if you're planning to land would be 100 km.
15. When you've got everything set up to your liking, engage autoburn on the left (not the right!) MFD. After the burn is completed, hit the PLN button on the right MFD one more time. Your trajectory line should now be green instead of blue and should give you an accurate reading of your approach.
16. When PeT is ~500 seconds, hit the MNU button on the left MFD. Hit the CRS button once, then scroll down and select "Orbit Insert".
17. The default screen in this sub-program should be set up to do a circular burn for the periapsis. Just engage autoburn, and you'll be put into a circular orbit.

OK, you've made it to the moon and you should be aligned with the base. The Go Fly in Space manual has a method for landing on the moon, but there's also a great MFD called "LOLA" (should be available at orbithangar.com) that will do the landing automatically if you're so inclined;). But you need to set up your descent orbit first. So....

1. Bring up Map MFD on your right MFD. Select the base you want to land at. Make sure that your trajectory goes over the base, or else you'll need to align with the base.
2. When distance to the base is 5.0M and climbing, burn retrograde until your PeA is between 10-15km. After this is done, you should be able to advance time. Then you should be set up for a landing approach.

Have fun!

Cale